Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/23 08:04
I made my friend a promise. I promised him to go to Japan and make katana for him. But only when he has one million on his bank account. The day has come and we're still young.

Obviously I'm not capable of making a traditional katana. But I can contribute and do the dirty work that must be done. Not all work requires years of training. I myself are a Bladesmith. And passionate about the art of smithing.

I'm willing to pay a price that helps te community of the dying art. I do not underestimate the art, time and soul that a master puts in to his sword. Iknow that it's approximately 75 thousand Euro to start you're own sword Smith company in Japan. (10 million yen)

I know it's an absurd question but please do not underestimate my love and my loyalty for my brother to.

If anyone has a number of a certified or not certified sword Smith in Japan. Or at least a location I would highly appreciate you with all my heart. And I'll reward you for you're services if done right.

Thank you for you're time
by Loet Wenting (guest)  

Re: I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/23 12:42
I'm a little confused about what exactly you want to do. Do you want to:

1. Commission an existing swordsmith in Japan to make the katana?
2. Apprentice yourself to an existing swordsmith in Japan and be personally involved in the physical production of the katana?
3. Found a new company in Japan that makes katana, and have the company make one for you?

Those will all involve different things that must be done/levels of feasibility and expense.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/23 17:55
I am also curious to know what exactly the OP wants to do. By the way, I know it is a very traditional art, but it is definitely not dying, and if you approach a master from that angle (saving a dying art), that would not be welcomed.

Having said that, on one site (by a swordsmith in Japan) who says hefd take commissioned work to create one, a full length katanafs cost would start at around 1.8 million yen, and his process would take something like 8 to 12 months from start to finish. Add to that the cost of your traveling, accommodation, etc., I donft think a million is enough.

Also about owning a katana: youfd need to be registered as an owner of a sword, and also you would need to think about how to bring it outside Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/24 08:17
Sending katana out of Japan is not hard - I know a company that trades new and antique swords and they ship worldwide.
However, make a katana for someone. AFAIK, a proper master would require your friend to visit. He needs to make the sword for him, and the link between the person and sword is important. That way, only the original person the sword is made for is the only owner. Anyone else might be in possession of the sword, but it is never truly theirs.
I think the OP simply wants to do some of the grunt work in making a sword rather than setting up a company of making it themselves. Last time I looks for swordsmiths, there were lots to be found easily on the internet.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/25 06:38
Obviously I'm not capable of making a traditional katana. But I can contribute and do the dirty work that must be done. Not all work requires years of training. I myself are a Bladesmith. And passionate about the art of smithing.

It does indeed sound like OP wants to put at least a good amount of the work in themselves. Unfortunately, and this is just my opinion but ultimately, I think that most traditional craftspeople of the type that is being sought out, are going to find a foreigner who wants to hang around in the workshop to be more of a nuisance than anything. The fact that this is being posted here and not somewhere else suggests at best limited, and more realistically zero, knowledge of the Japanese language. How many traditional swordsmiths in Japan speak enough English to collaborate with someone who by their own admission is not capable of making a katana?

My advice to OP is talk to your friend, apologise for telling them that you would make something for them that you couldn't, and take them out to dinner instead.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to make a katana for my dear friend 2022/8/25 20:58
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread