Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/13 22:23
May I ask if the food vending machines accept payment via a credit card?
Thank you.
by LIM LM (guest)  

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 07:03
Food vending machines in Japan are quite rare. The much more common beverage vending machines generally do not accept credit cards, but more and more accept IC cards, such as Suica.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 07:30
What kind of food vending machine do you think of? Maybe the ones in front of a ramen restaurant where you buy your ticket and then enter the restaurant?
Anyway I don’t think those machines generally accept credit cards. From my memory it’s cash only in most cases. Maybe a few accept IC card payment.

And yesPP is right, while there are myriads of drink vending machines, food / snack vending machines are rare.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 07:53
Some do and some don't. Best to have a little cash on hand at any time while travelling in Japan.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 09:33
Sorry that am unclear on my question.
I am referring to the vending machine in front of the ramen or rice restaurants.
I look at the little picture of the food at each tab, then press and pay, and I will receive a little coupon or card which I present to the staff to get the food i ordered.
Do these machines accept payment by a credit card?
Thank you.
by LIM LM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 09:41
Unless you want to ask about a specific restaurant you have in mind in case someone here knows, you should assume the machine will not take a card and bring cash.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 09:58
Answer is still the same after clarification. Some do and some don't. Always carry cash in Japan while travelling.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/14 09:59
Thank you for all the replies.

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/15 09:52
I've lived in Japan since I was born but have never seen a vending machine that accepts credit cards. I'm curious where they are, as some say they exist.

You can pay with specific apps at some vending machines and the apps accept credit cards, but it'd be difficult if you can't deal with Japanese U/I.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/15 10:44
I seem to recall paying by credit card at Yayoiken (やよい軒) ticket machine..., or maybe I'm remembering the one in California. Can somebody confirm? It's been 3 years, I need to go back.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/15 10:58
I answered my own question above, yes Yayoiken's ticket machine accepts credit card.
According to their web site, https://www.yayoiken.com/qa/#category04

Q: 店舗で利用できるキャッシュレス支払いは何ですか?
A:「クレジットカード」「バーコード決済」「各種電子マネー」のご利用が可能です。
各店舗でのご利用可能な決済方法につきましてはこちらよりご確認ください。

by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/15 21:42
@kamahen
Oh, thank you. Then that's the first one I found (although I've never stepped in Yayoi-ken).
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food vending machines accept credit card? 2022/10/15 22:24
I noted that the ramen or rice shops with ticket machine (with pictures of food) accepts cash only.

Say in Tokyo, may I ask what are the typical prices, please?

Say 500 yen per bowl is an average?

I am preparing a sufficient amount of cash.

Thank you.

reply to this thread