Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/17 00:09
After visiting Japan so many times - I'm aware that Japan is much more of a Cash Society than other locations in Asia. However - it's been a while since I've visited due to covid.

I just wanted to know if there has been any positive movement in relation to paying via Credit Cards and or Google/Apple Pay via credit card?

Prior to covid - I was aware that you could pay via credit card at supermarkets, combinis, major hotels and such. I'm aware that using Suica cards were also possible when buying drinks and such.

Has this improved over the past 3 years or is Japan still mainly caught up in the 1990's? Also - is it common to be able to pay using your phone or is this still a rare occurrence??

Also - can I confirm that Google Pay still does not work in Japan if your from another country?
by mfedley  

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/17 07:55
The acceptance of digital payment method has greatly improved over the past 3 years. The acceptance of Suica and other IC cards (alongside the various domestic payment services that are difficult to use by tourists), in particular, are now accepted for payment at large numbers of shops, restaurants and tourist sites, even outside of the big cities. Credit cards, too, are much more commonly accepted. I myself rarely use cash on my trips in Japan these day (except at small tourist spots that accept only cash).

My understanding is that only phones purchased inside in Japan can be used widely for Google Pay within Japan because Android does not allow non-Japanese phones to use the Osaifu Keitai/Felica functionality required to make Google Pay payments at most stores in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/17 08:17
Yes, definitely much more card payments are accepted but you still need to have a bit of cash with you.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/17 12:01
Sorry for piggybacking the thread as I was wondering the same.

Is Suica via NFC accepted widely at bus/train station outside Tokyo as well (e.g. Kyoto, Osaka)? Also, if I have a physical Suica, can I top up using credit card or Apple Pay e.g. at the top up machine?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/17 18:20
Your not piggy backing - just asking my next set of questions (at least about Suica!)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/23 00:05
I often try to pay with Google Pay (OnePlus not sold in Japan) but not always went through so sometime I have to switch to plastic card.
by Don (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/23 06:20
There are still (especially non-touristic) places that accept cash only, but a great number of small businesses now accept either cash or the PayPay smartphone app.

Other than that, many businesses, including most if not all taxis, accept everything from credit card, IC card (such as SUICA), apps and cash. Smaller businesses would have tiny sockets to have you insert your card, and they would look the other way as you type your pass code in.

Some small businesses, such as open-air stalls, have no devices to print out your credit card receipt, but they could email it to you if you tell them your email address.

But small businesses and taxi drivers often need time to figure out the devices they have. If you're in a big hurry, cash is often the best.

Speaking of people needing to figure out the devices, in the past five years or so, I have experienced incorrect billing three times here in Japan. (I have reasons to believe they didn't do it on purpose.) They seem to accidentally bill me the wrong price or accidentally bill me twice. Since I am a Japanese speaker living in Japan, I was able to easily email them in Japanese language and have them promptly pay back to me through my bank account in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Credit Card + NFC Payments 2022/10/30 19:21
Most places now take credit cards, including convenience stores. This wasnft the case until just a few years ago. It is safe to carry cash in Japan, and the fees charged at exchange windows can be lower than the exchange fees charged by some credit card issuers.
by Roppongi Crossing rate this post as useful

reply to this thread