Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Downloadable GPS Trail Maps or App for Japan 2022/10/29 21:26
Does anyone know of (and ideally have practical experience with) an Android app that will allow me to find my way on a Japanese hiking trail when I am out of cellphone range? I am looking for something like the Avenza app that has an extensive library of GPS maps for the United States (but not Japan). Specifically, I would love to have this functionality when hiking the Magose Pass (Kumano Kodo, Iseji, in Mie prefecture), but I could also use it elsewhere.

The popular mapping apps I have seen all seem to focus on populated areas or driving/transit. Obviously, I donft need to be able to check traffic conditions or locate the nearest convenience store. The feature that I really want is real-time offline GPS location on a downloadable map of a remote area. (The map itself can be in Japanese.) There are no roads where Ifm going, and no businesses that can provide advertising revenue to Googlec I know that trails on the Kumano Kodo are generally very well marked, but I always like to know where I am at any given point.

Thanks for any input!
by Kim (guest)  

Re: Downloadable GPS Trail Maps or App for Japan 2022/10/30 08:00
Maybe look into Komoot.
I am not 100% sure because I plan my rides with Komoot and then download them to my wahoo for the bike. But it seems you can download in the app as well.

https://support.komoot.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023078891-Using-komoot...
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Downloadable GPS Trail Maps or App for Japan 2022/10/30 09:20
Thank you! That is a very interesting app that I didnft know about. It isnft exactly what I was looking for, but it does seem to have a fair number of hiking trails mapped, at least partially. Ifll definitely play around with it some more.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread