Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying a bicycle in Tokyo as a tourist? 2023/1/7 11:57
I am in Tokyo for a few months as a tourist and was considering buying a bicycle. I read that I would need to register the bicycle.
Does this mean I need a residence card/visa in order to buy a bike? Or can I just list where I'm staying and show my passport to get it registered?
Thanks
by pattosi (guest)  

Re: Buying a bicycle in Tokyo as a tourist? 2023/1/7 15:37
Um, very good question. I ever only had the opposite problem. Trying to register my bicycle I brought from overseas. Which isnft easy either.
Ifd say, just try in a shop. Alternatively you could buy a used bike.

Remember that you canft bring your bike gnakedh on a train. It must be in a bag. So depending where you want to cycle youfll either want a folding bike or a road bike where you can remove the wheels and put it in a grinkoh bag.
If you only want to cycle within the city then any bike would be good.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a bicycle in Tokyo as a tourist? 2023/1/7 15:53
Pretty sure you won't be able to do so, or at least do so legally. If you buy a brand new one from a proper shop you'd need to get it registered with the police and that requires a residence card, which you won't have as a tourist.

by JO HN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a bicycle in Tokyo as a tourist? 2023/1/8 06:34
I don't have the details. But there was a few companies hiring out bicycles for tourists that wanted to do riding holidays.

Again I don't have the details, but it has come up on this forum a few times.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a bicycle in Tokyo as a tourist? 2023/1/8 09:03
You need a valid ID for registration, but as far as I can tell it does not need to be a residence card.
Check http://bouhan-net.com/qa/ for a useful Q&A regarding the system. Note the ID does need to be able to show the address where the registration would be effective, and you might not have that for where you are staying in Japan.
Your are legally responsible for the bike (even if it gets stolen), so when leaving the country, make sure you correctly transfer the ownership. Registration is only 500 yen, and can be done when buying one. There isn't a penalty for not registering, but you probably will not be able to buy one from a shop if you are not doing so.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread