Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 05:17
Hello everyone,

As I saw on the JAF homepage they are currently very busy in regards to translations. It might even take up to two weeks.

I have a German license therefore I definitely need a translation. But I have only limited time in Japan and waiting two weeks is way too long.
I saw that they offer an online application but whenever I click on the link it just asks for a username and password which I don't have. Can anyone tell me how to apply online for a translation?

https://english.jaf.or.jp/driving-in-japan/drive-in-japan/about-dltas

Thanks in advance!
by Jamal (guest)  

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 18:11
If Ifm not reading it wrong, it does say: g This system cannot be accessed from overseas.h Is this what you are trying to do right now?

When I click on it (myself a Japan resident), it takes me to a Japanese -language page, it takes me to another page, where (after a another page where I have to agree to terms & conditions) Ifm prompted to register my e-mail address.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 18:21
I thought that you could get the translation through ADAC as well???? Check it out.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 18:23
"Führerschein

Der in Deutschland ausgestellte internationale Führerscheine wird nicht anerkannt. Der deutsche nationale Führerschein wird aber bei vorübergehendem Aufenthalt bis zu einem Jahr ab Einreisedatum akzeptiert, sofern eine beglaubigte japanische Übersetzung des deutschen Führerscheins mitgeführt wird, erhältlich auch beim ADAC Südbayern e. V., Ridlerstraße 35, 80339 München, Tel. 0800 510 11 12 (Mo-Sa 8-20 Uhr)."

https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/reiseplanung/reiseziele/japan/ueber...

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 20:04
Yeah unfortunately I am not in Germany atm anymore as I am traveling through Thailand. So ADAC is not an option.
So that means my VPN is not working with that website. Because that is only option I see to request it earlier. But even that would be difficult as you are required to print it within a week.
The JAF makes it very hard for travelers to drive a rental car currently.
by Jamal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/11 21:32
I would expect that the ADAC doesnft want you to show up in person in Munich. Ifd expect they do that through the post. Maybe you can have some family member in Germany contact them, get the translation sent to them and then send it to you to Thailand or Japan?

Note that letters between Germany and Japan currently seem to take about a week or so. (Personal experience)

Alternatively can you share where you plan to drive? Japan in most parts is very accessible w/o any car. But yes, remot(er) parts require / benefit from having a car. But maybe you actually donft need one.

Re: Driver's license translation 2023/1/12 00:18
I also meant via post. But strangely they require the original document via post. And I have my driver's license here with me.

We are traveling to Okinawa. That is why we need it.
by Jamal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread