Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 06:47
Trying to see as much as we can while based in Kyoto and running out of days...I tend to book too much. Is it feasible to take a day trip on the train to see Hiroshima from Kyoto and then stop at Himeji on the way back to visit the castle? Thanks for any insight!
by Karen (guest)  

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 07:31
No. Too much in one day.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 07:37
If you were only going to see Peace Park, then you could essentially get to Hiroshima and be read to come back within 3.5 to 4 hours. I only stopped at Hiroshima on the way to Enoshima, and wasn't expecting Peace Park to be as thought provoking as it was, I was happy to sit on a bench and look at the observatory for a while, and it was a Significant Thing in my life, I think. But it might have just been my mood that day. So yes, possible to get down there and have a Life Moment and be ready to go by midday.

Himeji is a bit of a lottery, the lines can be very, very long. I have been twice but never had the patience to make it inside the castle, then again my daughters keep telling me that I am abnormally impatient. Personally I think the castle is very pretty from the outside, but I like the little castle at Hikone more.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 08:08
Kyoto to Himeji is easy, I have done it twice. Hiroshima would be limited.

If you don't have a JR Pass, you can buy a Kansai Area Pass. This pass is not valid on Shinkansen and the fastest express train, but usable on the second fastest express train.
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 11:06
Hiroshima can be done as a day trip, as long as you're prepared for an early start and getting back to Kyoto late.
Himeji on the same day, though? Not possible unless you wanted to stop off in Hiroshima for a 1 hour, 2 max.....

If you have a few days to spare, then I'd recommend Hiroshima one day and then Himeji (with an afternoon/evening stopover in Kobe) on a different day.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/22 14:22
@ Karen,
It is doable, but "fast paced" and can include Miyajima as well: Arrive by 09:00 at Himeji castle, leave Himeji by 11:30. Arrive at Peach park by 13:30, leave Peace park by 16:30 for Miyajima. Last shinkansen for Kyoto 22:00?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/23 09:21
I would happily do Miyajima and Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum in a day, but would not include Himeji in such a day trip. As a personal opinion, Hiroshima is much more worthwhile to devote a day to.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/1/23 12:22
Hiroshima is best as an overnight, with a day for the city and a day for Miyajima (and maybe squeeze in Iwakuni under a few conditions).
You could instead though see Himeji for a half day and the rest in Kobe.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima and Himeji? 2023/2/2 07:57
Thank you everyone!
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread