Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suffix middle name matter on JAL ticket 2023/1/28 16:17
Hello,

I booked international flight ticket from Expedia JFK to Haneda Tokyo. I realized that mistake were made.
I put both middle initial for both mine and my passenger.

However, my passenger missing suffix on his last name gIIIh as well. His passport is John Michael Jones III but on JAL ticket is John M Jones.
Will this be an issue upon check in at the airports.

JAL suggested Expedia to call them and I have been tried to contact Expedia but nothing further since last month.

Can I do name correction upon arrival at JAL check in counter?
by Pan (guest)  

Re: Suffix middle name matter on JAL ticket 2023/1/28 17:50
For 45 years, I have never even entered my middle name when making flight reservations, and I have never had any problems. Not sure about the incomplete last name, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suffix middle name matter on JAL ticket 2023/1/29 11:45
I think you should call JAL to confirm. Ge the phone agent's name and note the date/time of the call.
by doggieluver rate this post as useful

Re: Suffix middle name matter on JAL ticket 2023/2/1 22:01
Full name format is TSA Secure Flight initiative. They may pass with middle initial but also missing III May cause problems. I would correct it.
by rinshin rate this post as useful

Re: Suffix middle name matter on JAL ticket 2023/2/2 02:15
"Can I do name correction upon arrival at JAL check in counter?" - The short answer is No.

Ideally, the ticket name should match the passport name exactly. But for things like omitting a middle name, it is not an issue. To be clear though, since you bought your ticket from an agency and it's before your outbound departure, JAL (or any other airline) will not touch your ticket. Changing anything on it would invalidate it and require a ticket reissue, and since they didn't issue it in the first place, they don't want to deal with it.

Will omitting the III on the ticket be an issue? Maybe not, but no guarantees. The safest course of action would be to keep hammering Expedia. If you think their customer service sucks, then you are another person discovering the high cost of cheap tickets. The next issue is who made the name mistake. You suggest you did, so Expedia would need to reissue the tickets under the correct name, with some charge, no doubt. If the flights are fully booked, then it gets more complicated, and they'd need to make a new, correct and waitlisted reservation, and have the airline transfer the confirmed seats to the new booking. The regular call center agents cannot do this. Both Expedia and JAL would need to escalate the case to people higher up. If you do get somebody from Expedia after waiting forever, please do not let them foist you on the airline, telling you the airline will handle it - they won't, as I just wrote above.

You may be able to board your flight without any changes just fine, but if they refuse you at the airport check-in counter before departure, you will not be able to have Expedia fix it by the time the flight leaves. It is up to you to decide if you want to take the risk.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread