Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/28 21:44
Hi Team,

If Ifm arriving at Tokyo Narita Airport, going to stay in Tokyo for a few days, moving to Kyoto for a few days, then moving to Okasa for a few days, and back to Tokyo for a few days before the flight back from Narita airport, which type or JR pass is recommended for me to use? We are only travelling in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and back to Tokyo.

Thank you!
by Daphne (guest)  

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 08:52
More info needed to give detailed answer. Depends on where you might day trip to etc.

but 2 options for now.

1. JR 7 days pass to get to and from Kyoto/Osaka, if Kyoto/Osaka fits into 7 days.
2. Regional passes for Tokyo / Kansai, pay for shinkansen separately return.

Suica IC card need for wherever above options still dont covers.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 09:49
Hihi,

Thanks for your response.

I am arriving in Tokyo on 26 March, leaving to Kyoto on 29 March, leaving to Osaka on 1st April, leaving to Tokyo on 4th April and leaving Tokyo on 6th April.

I have not really plan the actual itinerary yet but was thinking if there is any cheaper option than using the whole Japan JR pass. From 29 March to 4th April is within 7 days. Before and after 7 days, I guess I will need to get suica card for normal train usage.

May I check again what do you recommend for this itinerary ? As I understand that there is different types of JR pass. This is my first time on a free and easy trip to Japan.

Thank you.
by Daphne Wang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 10:34
Tokyo - Kyoto on the Tokaido Shinkansen (Hikari) is 13,320 yen one way.
A Tokyo - Kyoto return journey will work out at 26,640 yen. Meanwhile, the 7 day JR Pass costs 29,650 yen.

You'll be roughly 3000 yen worse off if you brought the 7 day JR Pass. However, you can make some back on that 3000 yen, by travelling between Kyoto - Osaka (on the JR lines) and also by using the JR Loop Line in Osaka and also some of the local JR lines within the Kyoto area (such as if you're planning on visiting Arashiyama, Uji City, Fushimi Inari Taisha and Nara).

Having the JR Pass will also allow you to make seat reservations on the shinkansen free of charge (there would be a fee to pay, if you wanted to reserve a seat and didn't have the pass)
And with the time that you're travelling, there will be a lot of people travelling between Tokyo and Kyoto, due to the Cherry blossom season. So seat reservations would be highly recommended.

I also noticed that you're planning on moving from Kyoto to Osaka? Are you looking at booking hotels for both Kyoto and Osaka?
If so, then I would recommend making either Kyoto or Osaka your 'base' whilst you're in the Kansai region.
Trains are very frequent and it doesn't take long to travel between both cities.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 11:29
Yes, I will be staying in Kyoto and Osaka hotel before moving back to Tokyo again as my flight is from Narita.

In this case, you will recommend me to buy the 7 day JR pass for whole of Japan? This link from Klook is the cheapest I can find at https://s.klook.com/c/5886yz

Regarding before and after 7 days, you will recommend me to get the suica card?

For the seat reservation for shinkansen, I can only book after I get the exchange order in Narita airport right? Will it be fully booked by then?

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 14:08
I'd personally recommend getting the 7 day JR Pass for the round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto.

Just like how I would get the 7 day JR Pass for the convenience that it offers you. I would also recommend getting a Suica card as soon as you can (on some websites that sell the JR Pass, you can also buy a Suica Card).
The card (and all IC cards) are very convenient when getting around the subway, local train lines, buses, etc.

Unless you brought the JR pass directly from JR's website, who'll allow you to make reservations before entering Japan (the pass from JR's website is typically 10% more expensive, though). You'll be able to make seat reservations for the Shinkansen journeys at the same time as exchanging the voucher for the JR Pass.
The frequency of the Shinkansen trains between Tokyo and Kyoto is is high. So you should be able to reserve your seats in advance without issue. Though depending on what days you travel on and at what time, could have an impact on just how busy the train is.
But I would be surprised if you weren't able to make a reservation due to the train being fully booked. And even then, there are still the unreserved carriages.

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 14:15
Noted! If I were to get the exchange order when I reach Narita airport and book the seats but if it is fully booked, can I still board the train? As Tokyo to Kyoto is around 2 hours plus, if there is no seat, we will need to stand for the 2 hours plus?

Does Shinkansen goes from Kyoto to Osaka and Osaka back to Tokyo too?

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 16:34
Your plan to go to the Kansai area (Kyoto/Osaka) is a seven day trip. As stated earlier, the 7-day JR pass is not cost effective, if you just consider the long distance travel on the first and last day.

However, you may use the pass a bit on the other days. The bus system in Kyoto is better for sightseeing with two exceptions:

The Inari Shrine: 300 yen round trip by train
Day trip to Nara: 1440 yen round trip by train

In addition, you will need to go from Kyoto to Osaka. This is only 570 yen, unless you take the Shinkansen, which will cost 2860 yen. This seems outrageous for a 15 minute train ride. This is why people ask if you are planning to switch locations.

Even a small day trip, say from Shin-Osaka to Himeji, to see the castle will cover the gap in cost. The round trip cost for a Shinkansen is 7620 yen, and this is about a 30 minute commute. Even if you take regular trains, which take about a hour, the round trip cost is 3040, which covers the gap. I have done a day trip to Hiroshima from Shin-Osaka, which is about a 90 minute Shinkansen train ride.

What you need to figure out is what things you are actually going to do, and see if it pays off. If you are planning to just leave in the morning of the 7th, why not travel in the evening of the 6th night back to Tokyo? You could then use the pass on the 7th day to do something around Tokyo, perhaps to visit Kamakura (round trip: 1880 yen). When I have returned to Tokyo with an extra day left on the JR pass, I have used it to take a day trip North to Hitachi Seaside Park, or even to Matsushima Bay.

Itfs all a matter of deciding what places you actually want to go see.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 17:51
The 13K price quote above is for an unreserved seat. If you plane on reserving a seat, then the price is 14,170. Tokyo to Kyoto. multiple by two, is so much closer to the 7 day pass cost.

Arashiyama, Fushimi Inari, Nara, Osaka and Osaka loop line travels will all add up.

But buses and subways in Kyoto and Osaka can get you so many more places. JR pass is limited for sightseeing.

So one could just get unreserved tickets to and from Kyoto, and an IC card like Suica to cover all the other journeys. I cannot see you using more than 600 yen a day except for Nara.

by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 18:26
As no one mentioned this yet. : with the JR pass you canft take the fastest and most frequent Shinkansen. So if you are only going to make a few hundred yen of saving I would not buy the pass.

You asked what happens if you canft reserve a seat. All Shinkansen (between Tokyo and Osaka) have unreserved cars, so you can go there and hope for a seat. Normally youfll find a seat specially if traveling alone. When I go from Tokyo to Osaka for work I normally do unreserved although my company would pay reserved seat. I do that because for 1 person I always find a seat at Shinagawa station and I like the feeling of flexibility. Last time I went to Osaka I arrived and the station had a minute to buy a drink , jump on the train and it departed. If Ifd gone reserved I would have felt the need to wait for gmyh train. (btw, you actually donft need to wait for your train. Even if you have a reserved seat you can go unreserved)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 19:43
Can I check which JR train is the fastest to go from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka, Osaka to Tokyo? From my understand I thought that Shinkansen is the fastest.

I have not really plan where I want to go in the 7 days yet. I would say the famous Kyoto shrine will be one of the location. The rest would be something nice to see cherry blossom?

Does it mean that my 7 day JR pass can choose exactly which day I want or it has to be the same consecutive 7 days?

My total stay in Japan is 12 days. Apart from the 7 days from Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka and back to Tokyo, the other days are in Tokyo.

I was thinking of getting the 7 days JR pass and separately getting suica card, will it be worth it.

If not, what do you suggest and do you have the link for which train or pass to get?

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 21:13
Can I check which JR train is the fastest to go from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka, Osaka to Tokyo? From my understand I thought that Shinkansen is the fastest.

There are 3 different train services on the Tokaido Shinkansen (between Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka).
The Nozomi (the fastest - stops at fewest stations), Hikari (second fastest - stops at few more stations), Kodama (slowest - stops at every station).

The JR Pass can only be used on the Hikari and Kodama services on the Tokaido Shinkansen.
The faster (and more frequent) Nozomi train cannot be used with the JR Pass.
If the 7 Day JR Pass pays off, though, then the difference between the Nozomi and Hikari services is negligible.
There's a Hikari departure roughly every 30 minutes compared to the Nozomi which departs roughly every 10 minutes. And the Nozomi service is only roughly 20 minutes faster than the Hikari service.

Travelling between Kyoto and Osaka is very simple and quick.

The Special Rapid service on the JR Kyoto Line between Kyoto Station and Osaka Station takes 28 minutes, costs 570 yen (one way) and there is a departure every 15 minutes during the day.

The Special Rapid service on the JR Kyoto Line between Kyoto Station and Shin-Osaka Station takes 23 minutes, costs 570 yen (one way) and there is a departure every 15 minutes during the day.

The Hikari service on the Tokaido Shinkansen between Kyoto Station and Shin-Osaka Station takes 13 minutes, costs 2,860 yen (one way) and there is a departure roughly every 30 minutes.

Also, if you weren't already aware. Osaka has two train stations. 'Osaka Station' and 'Shin-Osaka Station'. The Shinkansen only goes to Shin-Osaka Station and not Osaka Station.
Both stations are connected by the Midosuji subway line (not covered by the JR Pass) and the JR Kyoto Line (covered by the JR Pass). So if you took a Shinkansen to Shin-Osaka, then you would need to transfer onto the Midosuji Line or the JR Kyoto Line.

When travelling between Kyoto and Osaka, my preference would be taking the Special Rapid service between Kyoto Station and Osaka Station.
But it also depends on what you are wanting to do in Osaka?
For example, if you're just visiting Dotonbori. Then the Midosuji subway line (that stops at both Shin Osaka and Osaka Stations) also stops at Namba Station.

Use this as a guide for getting to and around Osaka.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

I have not really plan where I want to go in the 7 days yet. I would say the famous Kyoto shrine will be one of the location. The rest would be something nice to see cherry blossom?

Whilst in Kyoto, I would recommend a day trip to Himeji.
The castle is particularly lovely during the cherry blossom season. Though expect large crowds.
With a day trip to Himeji, the 7 day JR Pass will also pay off!

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html

Does it mean that my 7 day JR pass can choose exactly which day I want or it has to be the same consecutive 7 days?

The 7 day JR Pass can only be used on consecutive days.
When you exchange the voucher for the JR Pass, you can select which day that you want to start it on. However, you only have 7 days from the start date to use the pass.
You can also reserve your seats on the shinkansen at the same time as your collecting the JR Pass.

Oh, and for route planning (getting routes, times, fares, etc) I use Navitime.
https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/area/jp/route/

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 22:27
Thank you Kari for the detailed explanation.

In Tokyo, Ifm staying at Shinjuku. Kyoto near Kyoto station and Osaka near Kintetsu-nippombashi and nipponbashi subway station.

Can I check on the following?

1) Where can I get the ticket for Nozomi (and how much) to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto?

2) Special Rapid service - can I buy the train ticket online or where can I get the ticket from? Is it suica card?

3) For Himeji, do we need to book tour or we can just purchase tickets there? It will take a full day?

Just wanted to weigh the option before deciding which tickets to buy and where to go. Intending to go to cup noodle museum as well as bamboo forest. I think Tokyo may have places to see the cherry blossom? If you have any recommendations on that, hope that you can share too! Thank you!

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/29 23:47
1) Where can I get the ticket for Nozomi (and how much) to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto?

At larger stations such as Tokyo Station and Kyoto Station you can purchase the Shinkansen tickets from ticket offices that are dedicated to Shinkansen travellers.
You'll also be able to buy Shinkansen tickets from the JR Offices at both Narita and Haneda Airports.

You'll be able to find more information on all of that here - https://www.insidekyoto.com/how-to-buy-shinkansen-bullet-train-tickets

The price for Nozomi (one way) with reserved seats is 13,970 yen.

2) Special Rapid service - can I buy the train ticket online or where can I get the ticket from? Is it suica card?

There are 3 difference services on the JR Kyoto Line. 'Special Rapid Service', 'Rapid Service' and 'Local Service'.
Essentially, it's a commuter train, with the faster trains stopping at fewer stops. So Special Rapid Service would be more expensive than the Local Service.
You'll be able to use a Suica card when travelling on this service between Kyoto and Osaka.

3) For Himeji, do we need to book tour or we can just purchase tickets there? It will take a full day?

You don't need to book a tour for Himeji Castle if you don't want to. You'll be able to queue up and purchase tickets at the entrance to the castle.

The last time that I went to Himeji Castle was in 2015 after it just fully reopened from being refurbished.
On that day trip from Kyoto, I left around 8am and managed to do Himeji Castle, Kokoen Garden (which is next to the castle) and on the way back to Kyoto I stopped off in Kobe to enjoy a Kobe wagyu dinner and night views from the observation deck at the Shin-Kobe Ropeway.

I would also recommend a day trip to Nara if you're able to fit it in.

Btw, if you do decide on doing day trips from Kyoto, then I would recommend getting the 7 Day JR Pass.
The Shinkansen (on the Hikari service) from Kyoto to Himeji takes just under an hour and is roughly 5000 yen (one way).
Otherwise, if you brought tickets individually, you'd end up spending roughly 40,000yen (For the Tokyo-Kyoto round journey, day trip to Himeji, using JR lines between Kyoto-Osaka and some of the local JR Lines in the Kyoto/Osaka area).

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/30 00:07
Thank you so much for the website! It is very useful. However, when I click it, it only shows Shinkansen via nozomi as itfs the fastest. When I click other option I could not find hikari. Is there another website that status the hikari journey and how long? When I went to the JapanTravel app, it stated the duration is very long.

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/30 01:25
If your main propose is to catch Cherry Blossoms, you need to be looking at the Cherry Blossom pages on the Japan Guide website:

https://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

If you look at this, compared to when you are traveling, you are slightly early, but will catch the beginning of it. If you can change your reservations to a week later, it would be better. Another link:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

As to where to go in Tokyo, Ueno Park and Shinjuku Gyoen are probably the best.

https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura16/160404_tokyo.html

I like walking down the Main Street in Kamakura, which is lined with CherryTrees. Here is a link from a previous year:

https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura16/160405_kamakura.html

As was mentioned earlier, going to Himeji Castle might be a very good choice:

https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura15/150410_himeji.html

The earliest would be in Hiroshima on April 1st, so you may want to take a day trip from Osaka to Miyajima Island.

https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura18/180328_hiroshima.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and tickets 2023/1/30 05:26
For your itinerary's long-distance legs,
Japan Rail Pass (7-Day Ordinary-class) would not pay off or,
even when it pays off, it would not save much the cost.

I suggest that you travel with JR regular tickets,
making use of the Shinkansen Nozomi option,
and that you add one day for Kansai.

Kari Haruka:
> With a day trip to Himeji, the 7 day JR Pass will also pay off!

Unless you choose Shinkansen separately for the section west beyond Kyoto,
Japan Rail Pass still may not pay off for your Tokyo -- Himeji round trip.

When you travel from Tokyo to Himeji and back within 10 days,
the JR basic fare gets a 10 percent round-trip discount,
resulting in nearly the same price
compared to when you travel between Tokyo and Osaka.

The pair of JR Tokyo -- Himeji round-trip basic-fare tickets
is good for 10 consecutive days.

On your way from Osaka Station to Himeji Station,
you can make a stopover at Sannomiya and visit Kobe.

From Tokyo to Himeji and back within 10 days,
by Shinkansen to Kyoto in late March,
by Special Rapid to Osaka then to Sannomiya then to Himeji,
by Shinkansen back to Tokyo on a weekday in early April
: 18000 yen as JR round-trip basic fare.
: 5690 yen as Shinkansen Hikari surcharge for Tokyo -- Kyoto.
: 5920 yen as Shinkansen Hikari surcharge for Himeji -- Tokyo.
: Total = 29610 yen.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR rail pass recommendations 2023/1/30 13:33
Hi Omotenashi, can I check how did you manage to get the round trip JR pass at 18000?

Is this nozomi from Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Osaka?

Is there another pass for himeji?

by Daphne (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread