Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Making Him Laugh A Bad Thing? 2005/6/25 13:17
Since I've been writing to and talking to my J penpal, I've been increasingly struck by how he keeps telling me how funny I am. I'm American,and I guess I never really thought too much about humor in public in Japan, but my penpal tells me in emails that my emails ''really made him laugh'' and one the phone I frequently make him laugh so hard that he says his stomach muscles hurt. I was surprised as I didn't think I was saying anything that funny. For instance, I told him once that my car broke down in the rain because part of it got wet, and I told him that ''my car needs an umbrella'' and he laughed so hard he couldn't even talk for a like a whole minute. He's always asking me things like ''how do you think of all these funny things?'' or ''how do you see all these funny things in life?''

So, my question is, does he really think I'm funny, or do I just sound funny to him because of the cultural differences? Is it a good thing that I make him laugh so much, or is it not such a good thing? We always have a good time on the phone and in email, but like I said, I just never before thought I was as funny as he says I am. Thanks!
by Kumo1  

well... 2005/6/28 22:44
Im putting my money on cultural differences. Now, I dont speak Japanese very well so Im not very familiar with Japanese comedy, but friends that can speak Japanese tell me that Japanese humor tends to be more potty humor or slapstick. Comedy differs from culture to culture. I notice with my students (im an English teacher) they seem to laugh at a lot of things I say that arent really hilarious, but maybe just a bit of exaggeration or unexpected.

As for wether or not its a good thing. I dont know anyone who doesnt like a good laugh. After living here for about a year, I've noticed that the Japanese do value seriousness in formal situations, but in appropriate (casual) situations, a good laugh is just that.
by heather rate this post as useful

perhaps 2005/6/28 22:50
trying putting myself into his shoe... well he was laughing at his own jokes i suppose... your car needs an umbrella was the thing that probably sparked off his crazy laughing spree... and you obviously gave him that "idea" cause it was rather stupid for your car to spoil just because it got a bit wet... so just be yourself and be engaging like your doing now... well its best if you try and LAUGH with him hahax...
by carlos yang rate this post as useful

it be def a good thing 2005/6/28 22:52
some japanese ppl r like that. i guess things u say sound cute to him. cute=funny, it's like japanese ppl think that's cute when americans speak japanese & they laugh. well it be a good thing :)
by mayu rate this post as useful

. 2005/6/29 01:25
Actually kumo, I found that umbrella joke amuzing (I am american btw) If my friend had told me such a story I would be laughing too. Its all about friendship, and sounds like a good penpal to me.
by john rate this post as useful

Doumo! 2005/6/29 13:19
Thank you all for sharing your perspectives! I guess that no matter how open minded and accepting I try to be, I just can't get away from the "we're from two different cultures" thing. I worried for awhile that my penpal laughed so much when we talked because I was saying something that was insulting to him, and laughing was his way of "politely" getting through it. But, when he continued to call me and the more we laughed together, the less I felt that I was saying something he didn't like.

Still, that he finds me to be so funny was unexpected on my part. But, then making friends with a Japanese guy over the internet was also unexpected...I wasn't looking for a penpal or a new friend (or whatever he wants us to be, considering he confuses me on that sometimes as well). I just posted something on a message board about rodeo, and my penpal being a Japanese rodeo cowboy read that message board and emailed me to say he liked my post...and now here we are! Don't get me wrong, I really am glad that we started writing one another, because we always have a lot of fun and we have a lot in common and he's coming to see me soon too! He's even teaching me Japanese!

As unexpected as everything was, from the way we started writing each other to how funny he thinks I am, I'm glad that I can make him laugh, thanks to those of you who posted in this thread!
by Kumo1 rate this post as useful

What matters? 2005/7/1 11:52
You bring humor into someones life, what does it matter why?

Tenshi

PS Even as an american the image of your car needing an umbrella, as you put it, is funny!
by Tenshinyc rate this post as useful

yep 2005/10/19 07:42
the japanese language is very literal...also there isnt much of a past, plural, or present tence. most of our humor involves those things with a dose of sarcasm(not being literal). so most of their humor is situational or physical.
by ... rate this post as useful

he probably wants to be a good friend... 2006/7/13 04:23
he probably wants to be the best friend he can, but doesn't know how to express it; so he laughs and tells you that you are funny! by the way, i thought it was funny also!
by randy rate this post as useful

.. 2006/7/13 14:29
tell me more of your jokes that you told him that made hime laugh, plzz! b/c that car thing was hilarious!
by Cici rate this post as useful

:-D 2006/7/14 05:00
I think it's really extraordinary to meet person with whom you get along so well. I envy you :-) Making him laugh is a very good sign I think.
by European girl rate this post as useful

Dry 2006/7/15 09:05
Kumo,
Maybe because you Don't think its funny makes it funnier. So come off as having a dry sense of humour.

Sounds like you have a future in Japan as comedian.
by Jev rate this post as useful

Agree 2007/8/16 15:17
I agree with Heather on cultural differences, have you ever noticed how black comedians sometime joke about getting beat and it's REALLY funny. Maybe it's something he never thought about or heard and it sounded funny but your car needs an umberella doesn't seem like laugh material to most
by Jilean rate this post as useful

reply to this thread