Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 11:50
Hi,

We'll be having the JR West Kansai WIDE Area Pass to cover the train rides for part of our itinerary.

One of the days, we'll be traveling from Kinosaki Onsen station to Amanohashidate, enjoy the sights, and then taking a JR Ltd. Express train from Amanohashidate to Kyoto later on the same day. The pass should cover all trains along the Kyoto Tango route without additional cost.

I was wondering is it possible to make a seat reservation for the JR train at the Amanohashidate station since we don't know what time we'll be departing? I understand the station is run by the Kyoto Tango line operator Willer Express so I'm not sure if there is a JR ticket office or ticket machine at the station.
by uviewer (guest)  

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 14:07
yes you can book a ticket there. just pay them the extra the JR pass does not cover at the time also.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 14:07
Yes, you can. I made the return reservation upon arrival at Amanohashidate station, after studying all departure times. Good thing I did, because the return trip became jam packed at Fukuchiyama station, with standing room only in non-reserved cars, where passengers from Kinosakionsen were transferring onto the same train.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 14:11
I believe that a portion of the tracks going from Anohashidate to Kyoto are privately owned tracks by the Kyoto Tango railway, so there will be a surcharge to take the JR Limited Express, even with a JR Pass. I have included a link with a mention that the 7/14/21-day JR passes do not completely cover the journey. The diagram shows the tracks that are not covered.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3991.html

Also, there are not very many Limited Express Trains that do the entire journey. Most of the time, you will need to go to Fukuchiyama Station, and then switch trains. One time, there was only a few minutes to make my transfer at this station, and I was racing up, over, and down the stairs to make my connection.

Check departure times at the station when you arrive.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 14:21
Oops… You are using the JR Kansai Wide Area Pass, so the private tracks ARE covered.

I do suggest checking departure times, when you arrive at Amanohashidate Station, and plan accordingly.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 22:43
Yes, I'll be using the Kansai Wide Area Pass, not the vanilla Japan Rail Pass, to cover this part of the trip. Glad to know that the station ticket office can make reservations for those JR trains.

I have another question in relation to trains from Toyooka to Amanohashidate:
On Navitime, it shows certain trains on the Kyoto Tango Line as beginning the route as a Miyatoyo Line Rapid from Toyooka to Amino, then telling me to stay on the same train as it becomes a Tango Relay service with reserved/non-reserved seats to Amanohashidate. Can I book these seats from any JR ticket office in Kansai (either Osaka or Kinosaki Onsen) or can set reservations only be done by a Willer Express train station ticket office (i.e. at Toyooka)?

The other question is 5min sufficient time to transfer trains at Toyooka station? We'll have 2 luggages but they will be the smallest size check-in luggage (70cm) so they are not too cumbersome but wondering if that's still cutting close.
by uviewer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR seat reservation at Amanohashidate 2023/2/12 23:44
Transfers at those small stations usually are going from one platform to another using stairs. If you're ready to walk the second the doors open, it should be no problem. Also, I'm pretty sure the times are set to be able to make those types of connections.
by , (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread