Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/2/25 16:31
Dear bros and sis,

If I shop at konbini let's say the bill is 2000 yen, can I pay with let's say 3 IC cards, like 500, 500 and 1000 yen each?

TIA
by Amanchen  

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/2/26 08:28
I've never tried it, but I don't think so. When you tap the first card it will show insufficient balance and normally you could add some cash (or other payment) or top up the card (charge it with more cash) and then pay with the freshly topped up card.
Happy to be corrected if someone has actually done this.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/4/21 14:28
NO, I think you can't pay.
by BarryClark rate this post as useful

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/4/23 10:47
On my recent trip, I've actually been able to pay a portion of my bill with an IC card, then pay cash with the rest. But I haven't trip with multiple IC cards.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/4/23 21:20
Entirely dependant on the business you are shopping at. Some will allow you to split multiple payment methods (this will include multiple IC cards, IC card + cash, etc.). Some will not. Some places may not even be using POS systems that will be set up to physically allow them to do accept split payments.

In short, if you ask you might be able to, but never assume you will be able to.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/4/23 23:25
It is possible to split bills using different cards, but not all shops may have this option available. Many shops use a payment machine where they enter the total bill first, and then ask you to swipe the card. With this method, they can split the bill into multiple payments and use different cards. I have personally used this method many times with both IC and credit cards, particularly when the bill exceeds my available credit or IC card limit. I hope this information is helpful to you.
by Jakki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can we pay with several IC cards for 1 bill? 2023/4/24 09:02
@Villagemayor - paying with IC card and cash is pretty common.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread