Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Advice 2023/3/13 20:51
Hi :)

I'm currently in the process of planning a holiday to Tokyo in November (Already booked!! :D). We are wanting to do a journey to Hakone, stay for a night and journey back to Tokyo the next day. We have a Ryokan booked for the night near Hakone-Yumoto Station.

The plan is to take the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Odawara Station early in the morning (leave Tokyo Station around 07:00-07:30), get the Hakone Freepass. Then take the Hakone Tozan from Odawara Station to Gora Station, transfer to the Ropeway to then ride the cruise. Stopping at Owakudani and Hakone Shrine along the way before travelling back to the Ryokan. We want to check into the Ryokan around 15:00-16:00 to properly enjoy. On the way back to Tokyo the next day, we will stop at Odawara to visit the castle.

Is this achievable or is it to much planned in one day?
by MeganM  

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 07:43
Sounds good.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 07:44
Agreed. All good.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 08:05
Agreed, I think heaps of time though before Gora I would stop at the outdoor museum for a quick look as well - probably 45 minutes to an hour would pull it up, and o my mind it is one of the better attractions at Hakone
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 13:22
From Tokyo to odawara
By Tokaido sanyo shinkansen:Too expensive

You can buy odakyu rail 1 day pass=2000 yen
Cover shinjuku to odawara=83 km unlimited travel ,valid for 1 day
by Redcliff (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 14:41
Shinkansen Tokyo to Odawara is not particularly expensive - I have done that a few times. Yes, there are cheaper options including some good direct JR train, but an Odakyu pass for 2000 yen is not particularly economical for a one way trip (almost double the actual fare) and does not depart Tokyo Station.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 14:59
Sir is one of the rich man ,residence of Tokyo
However coming from a middle class family,l always help foreigner to travel in low budget

From tokyo to odawara=3280 yen
By shinkansen hikari
Shinjuku to odawara=890 yen by odakyu rail
by Redcliff (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 20:22
Thank you everyone for the advice! :) We are planning to take the Shinkansen because we are staying near Asakusa and it is easier to get to Tokyo Station then Shinjuku. Also, neither my partner or myself have been on the Shinkansen before so it will be a new experience :) I will add the museum to my list.

Other then the castle in Odawara, is there anything worth seeing?
by MeganM rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/14 23:32
I donft think there are other major sights inOdawara. There are some nice gardens outside the city but in places that are hard/impossible to reach w/o a car (or bicycle).

You could maybe combine Odawara with afternoon evening in Chinatown in Yokohama. Just an idea.
Or alternatively Enoshima in the afternoon.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Advice 2023/3/15 08:03
Shinjuku to odawara=890 yen by odakyu rail
Exactly, so recommending a 2000 yen one day pass is more than double the price of a regular one way ticket and bad advice.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread