Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

get someone to draw manga for you? 2023/4/15 07:14
Hello,

Im a black girl who wants to draw manga. I actually want to be a teacher in japan but many people have told me that I have really great ideas and that I draw well so I want to get my stories into a manga. The thing is, many, many people tell me that I draw well but I dont really draw well enough for my liking so is there any way that I could contact some manga artists that I really like and ask them to draw it for me. People say I draw good but I dont really draw in the style that I like even though I specialize in manga. Im just not really confident in my abilities. Drawing manga has always been a side hobby and thats what I plan to do when i get into japan before I actually try to get it published. I dont want the fame for it (thats if i get it done) just want my story to be out and whoever can draw for me to completly take the fame and credits. I always think that people might not want to read it because it is created by someone ho is black. I dont really want to draw it myself though. I just am not confident in my abilities. Any advice?

Thanks
by blackmangaartisi (guest)  

Re: get someone to draw manga for you? 2023/4/18 20:07
If fame (and fortune) is not what you're aiming for, why not post your work on-line? You may also be able to find an amateur person who would be able to draw for you. In Japan, there seems to be a community on MIXI social media. I wonder if there's something similar in your country and language.

On the other hand, professional publishers need to sell manga in order to pay their bills. So, if you want to have your work professionally published, you need to be committed to creating something that can be popular enough to sell.

And if you're committed, you can take your work directly to a publishing company where professional editors would give you advise on how you could make your work better. If your writing is truly good enough, they could even match you with a drawer.

But at this point, perhaps what you need is a drawer who is willing to draw your stories as a hobby.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: get someone to draw manga for you? 2023/4/19 14:30
「 is there any way that I could contact some manga artists that I really like and ask them to draw it for me. 」

At the risk of sounding harsh, there's probably little to no chance of accomplishing this in your current position. I'm assuming that if there are manga artists you know of and really like, while you yourself are still living outside of Japan, that they are professional artists with at least some level of success in the professional manga industry in Japan.

Getting someone who's already an established professional to draw a manga based on a story you've created would require one of two things.

1. Your story, or you yourself as a writer/content creator, have acquired enough recognition that the manga artist wants to collaborate with you. I'm guessing, though, that this isn't the case, seeing as how you're asking for this advice on an open internet forum, as opposed to speaking directly with people in the manga/publishing industries.

While your may have interesting ideas, it's unlikely that a manga artist would be willing to devote the time and effort to drawing series, and a publisher to devote the expense to producing and distributing it, if the basis is only the ideas of an unpublished, recognized author.

2. Personally commissioning (i.e. paying) a manga artist directly to draw a manga for you. Again, assuming that the manga artists you are wanting to draw for you are of international renown, this is going to cost a lot of money. In essence, you'd be paying the costs that a publisher/distributor would out of your own pocket, which is something most individuals can't afford.

「I dont want the fame for it (thats if i get it done) just want my story to be out and whoever can draw for me to completly take the fame and credits.」

While that's a generous sentiment, many professionals/companies in creative industries such as manga have a policy of not accepting any idea pitches from amateurs, even ones that come with disclaimers of "I don't want any credit or money from this." From a publisher's standpoint, there's an immense risk involved in such offers, as there's a possibility that the person who said they don't want anything in return for their idea may change their mind if the series becomes an international hit and starts raking in millions of dollars of profit for the artist/publisher, and in order to avoid such legal troubles down the road many artists and publishers refuse to even look at unsolicited proposals.

I second Uco's suggestions. If you don't want fame or money, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own comic and posting it online. In the process, your drawing and storytelling skills are likely to improve, and even if you don't reach professional-level art skills, creating and sharing your comic may help you meet people from the comic community who can help you make connections with publishers, and they're likely to be much more interested in creating professional works based on your ideas after you've built up a fanbase for your amateur works.

by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: get someone to draw manga for you? 2023/4/19 16:26
If you have some drawing skills, why don't you try publishing some web novels.

Others here will know more about it than I do....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread