Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/17 17:39
Hi!

I saw in some news articles that Apple stores in Japan have stopped giving tax refund. Will buying from other stores like Bic or Yodobashi Camera have the tax refund privilege?

Thank you!
by Eatlog (guest)  

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 12:30
While they may have stopped the tax exemption at rime of purchase. You can still do a refund at the airport tax counter if you follow the correct procedures.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 15:43
in March we did several tax-free purchases in Yodobashi (paid tax-free price, salesman took care of the procedure) and department stores (paid full, got tax refund in special counter in store).
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 16:37
@girlwithpearl Did you happen to buy Apple products at Yodobashi?
by Eatlog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 16:39
@H

Does the Iphone need to be in a sealed package like cosmetics or food to qualify for tax refund?

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 22:26
@Eatlog, no, bought PS5 and rice cooker, I don't know if brands are treated differently. And when refund is done, no need to keep in original package or sealed.

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/18 23:13
Nice. Did you get a discount on top of the tax refund for the PS5?

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/19 17:31
@Eatlog PS5 is more my HB-s joy, no idea about how much did cost, but much cheaper than in EU.
I am more happy about Zojirushi...

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/19 21:25
"when refund is done, no need to keep in original package or sealed."
that is incorrect.
you must "export" all items. if you use them in Japan, you violate the laws.
it sounds like most foreigners violate the laws, as same as Apple stores.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/20 14:56
@Ken - of course we exported all items. Just no need to export them in original packet - like PS is hudge in box, to pack our luggage we needed to remove it.

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/20 19:58
Yes of course we will bring the items home. My concern is that expensive items go gmissingh in our airport so I want to take them out of the box and hand carry or put them in my pocket.

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/4/22 09:04
I believe that only "consumables" need to be purchased and packaged in sealed bags. "Non-consumables" need not be sealed and CAN be used while in Japan. However, if, in the same purchase, there are consumables and non-consumables, then the entire package is sealed and none can be used while in Japan. Consumables commonly include cosmetics and food items. A phone is a non-consumable.

Here's a quick and dirty guide:

https://japanhorizon.com/tax-free-items-japan/
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/6/9 14:24
I was thinking that there is no refund counter at airports in Japan and this can be done only at stores. Did this change?
by Mik (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/6/10 10:47
Not certain what you mean, @Mik, but the refund counters are generally in the store where the items were purchased. At the airport, there is a little kiosk, where you can scan your passport if you have made tax-free purchases during your stay in Japan. So, you are correct.
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Tax refund on IPhones from Bic Camera 2023/8/4 05:59
Hello I looked at a old thread but when I tried to reply the thread suggested Ifm she a bee thread and it copied the name Into this thread

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+177677

Can someone assist me please And let me know can I buy a iPhone 14 pro Max and get a tax rebate at the airport if I buy from the Apple Store or do I need to buy it from a Yodobashior bic store as I want a unlocked phone

I wanted to buy it at the Apple Store so I can transfer all my old data from my iPhone XS Into my newly bought unlocked store bought phone

If I can buy from Apple Store , do trade in and get a tax rebate from the airport then that would be great as well

What do I need exactly on way back like packaging , receipt and do they give me the cash back and transfer into my bank account ?

Thank you

by Abhi B rate this post as useful

reply to this thread