Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

2000 yen 2023/5/6 06:03
Hi,

Ifve read in multiple places that the 2000 yen note is rare. That certain vending and ticket machines wonft accept them but shops still will. The posts are mostly old and Ifm wondering if this is still the case?

Recently exchanged an amount to yen with Tesco bank (UK) and got mostly 2000 yen notes. Will this be an issue?
by MeganM  

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 07:48
No problem.japan has 1000 yen note, 2000 yen note, 5000 yen note, 10000 yen note
500 yen coin,100yen coin,50/10/5/1yen coin
by Roh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 07:50
Ifve read in multiple places that the 2000 yen note is rare. That certain vending and ticket machines wonft accept them but shops still will. The posts are mostly old and Ifm wondering if this is still the case?

Yes, that is still the case. The notes were printed only during the year 2000, so it's increasingly rare.

Recently exchanged an amount to yen with Tesco bank (UK) and got mostly 2000 yen notes. Will this be an issue?

That is kind of hilarious. Well, if I were you, I'd save some of them so that I could some day sell the rare bill for more than 2000 yen. And, no, it won't be an issue unless you're a vending machine freak. You can go to any real human being, whom you can usually find near vending machines, to use the bill to buy what you want. It's even cheaper to buy drinks from real people as opposed to vending machines.

Note that (not all nor most but) many vending machines don't accept notes other than 1000-yen notes.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 09:05
Didn't even know they existed. Never seen one.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 11:02
Very rare indeed. I never saw one gin the wildh (in 4 years living in Japan), but do owe one which I got as travel expense reimbursement for a JLPT mock test. I kept it as memory.

I guess most machines will not accept it. Maybe ticket machines but I wouldnft count on it. But in normal shops they should be accepted. Also if you got so many 2,000 yen bills you either exchanged very little money (thatfs fine you can get more from ATMs in Japan) or you are bringing an entire stash of money around. Which will be a bit inconvenient.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 12:41
also, there is no such a concept about "quarter" in Japan.
500.1000,, and go on.
numerals are counted by 4 digits in Japanese., instead of 3 digits. it comes from the language itself.

eventually, people don't accept 2000 yen note, probably because of irregular counting system.
the government already has stopped distributing this bank note.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/6 14:23
Just out of curiosity, when I bought my ticket for lunch today at a gmichi no eki g in Shiga I noticed that the machine would have accepted 2,000 yen bill.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/8 08:04
Most of the 120 million 2,000 yen notes that were printed were never issued and sit in a Tokyo vault to this day. Many others were sent overseas and are gradually returning. Most vending machines don't accept them because the cost of upgrading them was too high and that contributed to their poor uptake (plus, some Japanese consider them to be unlucky).
I have several and they are worth more than face value to the right buyer. I have received one once as change in the past decade.
Another thing to be aware of is the new 500 yen coin is not able to be used in many machines at the moment - saw my first new 500 yen coin yesterday as my guest repeatedly tried to use it and it kept being spat back out.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 2000 yen 2023/5/19 08:54
@JapanCustomTours

Another thing to be aware of is the new 500 yen coin is not able to be used in many machines at the moment

Thank you so much for writing this! It just happened to me and I would have kept trying otherwise.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread