Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 05:00
Hello,

My wife and I would like to send our child to Japan for summer vacation starting next year, if possible we would like her to attend public school while in Japan to have more exposure to Japanese culture while she is there.

My daughter is both a U.S Citizen and Japanese Citizen with dual passports.

How could we go about making this happen? Most likely my wife and daughter will be staying at my wifes parents house or we will be renting an apartment in the same general area.

Thanks!
by Senorahlan (guest)  

Re: Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 14:00
My guess is probably wrong - but I tend to remember that schools tend to be linked to your location of where you are staying (ward from memory).

Completing a quick google maps search of schools close by and contacting the schools directly might be a good idea.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 15:22
If you are gresidentsh of Japan, your child will be eligible to attend a public school (the specific school determined by the address, as mentioned). But I am assuming you are only visiting? Then it might not be possible - in any case, it would be advisable to have your wifefs family contact the school in advance discuss what might be possible. Also note that Japanese public schools (I am assuming elementary school/junior high school) have summer vacation from late July to the end of August.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 15:35
I wonder how old your daughter is. Ordinary local public elementary and junior high schools (shougakkou and chuugakkou, which are for children ages 6-15) are decided depending on where your registered residence is.

All residents in Japan have the right to attend public elementary or junior high school, as long as the person's age suits the school, regardless of their nationality, status or language skills.

For senior high school and higher education, as well as for children younger than elementary age, it's a whole different story.

In your case, I assume you are coming as visitors and will not be registered residents here in Japan. So, technically speaking, your child doesn't automatically have the right to attend school here.

But if your child is elementary or junior high school age, why not have her Japanese grandparents talk to the principal of the public school of their district? The principal would most likely accept your child as one of the school's students for a short term, as long as she is attending school from a place within the school district.

Note that the borders of school districts are a bit complicated. For example, your neighbor could belong to a different school district even if you live in the same -cho.

The principal would probably be most interested in your child's language skills, whether or not she has been able to catch up with things that children her age in Japan are studying, and whether or not it is her own will to attend school in Japan. I don't think the school would refuse your child just because of the answers, but they need to be prepared if they are going to accept her.

Another reason I suggest her grandparents to ask the school is because it would give them the opportunity to visit the school and actually see how it's like.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 17:25
I presume that the child is in elementary or junior high schools.
only the school board can make the decision.
if in private schools, the principal (or the school owner) may be able to decide it with that the principal (or the owner) takes the full responsibility (in the case that unexpected accidents happen).

that is, because a principal in public school is a person like a "general managerh in a company.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizen attending summer school 2023/5/10 17:33
Ken is correct, but the person that the family of the student-to-be should talk to is basically the principal. The principal will then ask the BOE.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread