Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Black people in japan 2023/5/12 23:12
Is there any sort of racism in japan towards black people? I don't wanna go somewhere where someoneLs gonna discriminate me cause of my race
by blackwoman (guest)  

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/13 05:07
There are several black YouTubers living in Japan that discuss racism (specifically against blacks) in that country. Search them on YouTube.
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/13 12:32
There are quite a few popular celebrities living in Japan who happen to be black. You can search key phrases like "being black in Japan" and you'll find lots of info based on real experiences. Here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PC1XU3Xek
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/14 15:35
The following comments are my own and if locals see any errors - please feel free to point them out (hopefully not too meanly).

In general Japan is a very homogeneous population and the major cities have lots of foreign tourists so you will just be able to go about your day like normal. For example - if you are in Tokyo and people are staring at you it's probably because of something you are doing (speaking on a phone in a train, taking up lots of space with luggage etc). How do I know this? I've done these things myself and learnt it was me!

If you have tattoos which are visible - be aware of rules in relation to visiting onsens and even beaches (I think). When foreigners visit the rural countryside - I've often been staired at like I'm some Martian (I'm a large white man) but that's because they don't normally see foreigners. I do however travel to places where tourists (albeit foreign tourists) rarely visit

When it comes to living and working in Japan - then it's another story as there are more complexities that I don't know enough about. Finding an apartment can be difficult for a foreigner sometimes - depending on your job and city.

Instead of thinking of it as a "black thing" in Japan, I like to see it as a "Japanese" and "non-Japanese" thing. Never underestimate a locals anxiety of expecting themselves to give you excellent service when they can't speak English.

The following comment might seem odd - but if you do visit bring plenty of deodorant as it's hard to find in Japan and the stuff they do have sucks.

If you are looking to live in Japan - then the comments about watching youtube videos is very helpful. But if you are visiting just for a holiday - then you are going to be fine
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/16 07:05
Thanks!

I'm just going to visit for now
by blackwoman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/17 12:04
It doesn't matter what color your skin is. There is discrimination in any part of the world. Japan is made up mostly of Japanese people with maybe 3% being foreigners.

From my personal experience in Japan, there were only a few times (after about 3 years of living in Japan) where there was discrimination, but it's honestly quite rare. It also depends on where you're going, what you're doing, etc.

For example, if you have tattoos as someone else mentioned, some public places such as bath houses, onsen, and even some other public facilities may not allow you to enter, though there is nothing to do with skin color. I would say just have fun in Japan, you'll be fine.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black people in japan 2023/5/17 22:32
Thanks!
by blackwoman (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread