Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

moonlight kyushu 2005/7/14 21:43
Next time I am travelling to Japan, using Seishun 18.
How long does it take to go to kyoto from Hakada by Kaisoku?

They say Moonlight Kyushu runs on selected days.
How often do they operate it?

Thank you.
by chung  

... 2005/7/15 07:51
How long does it take to go to kyoto from Hakada by Kaisoku?

The Moonlight Kyushu does not go to Kyoto! It departs from Shin-Osaka. From Kyoto to Shin-Osaka it takes 25 minutes by special rapid.

The Moonlight Kyushu departs Shin-Osaka at 22:01 and arrives in Hakata the following morning at 7:23.

In the opposite direction, it leaves Hakata at 20:54 and arrives in Shin-Osaka at 6:32.

They say Moonlight Kyushu runs on selected days. How often do they operate it?

It only runs during winter, spring and summer school holidays. During this summer, it departs Shin-Osaka daily from July 22 through August 28 And it departs Hakata daily from July 23 through August 29.
by Uji rate this post as useful

moon lighter 2005/7/15 16:58
the seishun 18 kippu how much is it ? Not a bad idea to go over night to (Hakata )Fukuoka
Can i go on to Nagasaki on the seishun kippu ?
by badbob rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 Kippu 2005/7/15 17:18
Bob,

Most of the answers to your questions can be found on this site...
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html

Yes, you can use it to travel to Nagasaki - so long as you stick to local trains.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

norikaeba 2005/7/15 17:53
whats the chance of boarding at Nagoya?
by badbob rate this post as useful

the moonlight kyushu 2005/7/16 11:26
actually it does seem to go from Kyoto- and there is no mention of Osaka departures
as I am arriving on the 10th August at Nagoya 8.00pm as accommodation is difficult
Gifu will be my night stay
looking at the time table is it right that the shinkansen
is cheaper and quicker of cause then the limit express ?

Moonlight Nagara: Tokyo-Nagoya-Ogaki (daily)
Moonlight Echigo: Shinjuku-Niigata (daily)
Moonlight Kyushu: Kyoto-Hakata (on selected days)
Moonlight Sanyo: Kyoto-Shimonoseki (on selected days)
Moonlight Matsuyama: Kyoto-Matsuyama (on selected days)
Moonlight Kochi: Kyoto-Kochi (on selected days)

by bad bob rate this post as useful

Help Needed please 2006/1/30 19:09
Hi. Can someone help me please. I have a Seishun 18 Kippu pass to use during spring holidays. I want to go on a sleeper train from Kokura to Nagoya. Is it possible? Any help with timetable, extra cost, etc, would be much appreciated.
by Wayne rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 kippu 2006/1/30 19:37
Wayne,

The Seishun 18 tickets for the spring seasn don't go on sale until nexty month, so if you have one now, it won't be valid for the spring season.
As mentioned on this site, the Seishun 18 is not valid on sleeper trains, but you can use it on the seasonal overnight seating accommodation trains such as the Moonlight Kyushu, which runs between Osaka and Hakata. If you intend to go to Nagoya, you will need to change to other local trains at Osaka.

Moonlight Kyushu 2006/1/31 00:13
Thanks Dave. I haven't got the ticket yet as will arrive in 2 weeks time. Will I have to board the Moonlight Kyushu from Hakata, or can I from Kokura? Also, any ideas on departing and arrival times?? And as I will be using the Seishun 18 Kippu, must I make a reservation for this train?
by wayne rate this post as useful

Moonlight Kyushu 2006/1/31 07:47
Wayne,
The train starts from Hakata, but it also stops at Kokura (at 2214). It arrives at Shin-Osaka at 0632. Reservations are compulsary for this train, but you need to note that it runs only at certain times of the year (holiday periods). Last spring, it ran from late March to early April.

About reservations? 2006/2/1 18:15
Hi again. One last thing. About making a reservation. How should I go about it? I will passing through Kokura about a week before I plan on using the night train, so should I make the reservation then? Would that be enough time? And also, though I will be using the Seishun 18 Kippu, will there be any extra costs involved??
Thanks for your help.
by Wayne rate this post as useful

Moonlight Kyushu 2006/2/1 20:06
Wayne,
You don't need to actually go to Kokura to reserve seats. You can do this at any major JR station. A week ahead is probably sufficient, but for peace of mind, I would recommend reserving as soon as you can once you arrive in Japan.
With the Japan Rail Pass, I don't think you have to pay anything extra - not even for seat reservations.

Moonlight Kyushu 2007 2007/7/23 04:10
Hello everyone. Does anybody know if the Moonlight Kyushu is already running this year (2007)? Is it just Kokura St. where it stops? How to call the Moonlight in Japanese to ask for any more information at the Eki?

Thank you so much for your kind assistance.

by Omar Alejandro ]|[ rate this post as useful

Moonlight Kyushu 2007/7/23 09:54
Omar,

Does anybody know if the Moonlight Kyushu is already running this year (2007)?

Yes, it runs from 20th July to 20th August this year.

Is it just Kokura St. where it stops?

No, it stops at many stations between Shin-Osaka and Hakata.

How to call the Moonlight in Japanese to ask for any more information at the Eki?

I don't quite understand your question. The train is called "Moonlight Kyushu" in Japanese. You can reserve seats on it at any major JR station or travel agent in Japan. If you have any other questions, you could try asking here.

Moonlight Kyushu 2007 2007/7/25 01:07
Dave thank you so much. I have bought the ticket. I paid 510yen for the reservation, they gave me a ticket, I will combine it with Seishun JuHachi Kippu (JR Youth 18 Ticket).

My last question, you answered correctly. In Japanese they also know the train as 'Moonlight' whereas they spell it 'Moonraito', always same. I just wanted to ask straight with the name, because in this ocassion for instance, I tried first explaining what it was. It turns out to be the same word.

Thanks a lot!
by Omar Alejandro ]|[ rate this post as useful

18 kippu - moonlight kyushu - popeye 2007/8/9 12:34
im goin to watch summer sonic on 12 august at osaka, and i need help!
this is the first time im taking 18kippu.
If im taking the moonlight kyushu on 12 night, its around 10 oclock at night rite? then it will reach hakata in the morning, question is, does it count one ticket or 2 ? because it already pass one day rite? from 22 o ' clock on 12, and reach on 13.

and next, anybody knows the nearest internet cafe between sakurajima and shinosaka? thank you very much!
by puti rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 Kippu 2007/8/9 14:59
Puti,

If im taking the moonlight kyushu on 12 night, its around 10 oclock at night rite? then it will reach hakata in the morning, question is, does it count one ticket or 2 ?

Since the journey covers two calendar days, you will need to use 2 of the 5 portions of your Seishun 18 kippu.

reply to this thread