Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thank you wedding speech in Japanese 2005/7/27 01:17
I would like to make a nice speech to thank my homestay parents for coming to the states for my wedding. Would you suggest using keigo or something less formal, as they are ''family?'' I would like the speech to be welcoming and warm and (of course) appreciative for all that they have done for me...any ideas - speech examples? Thanks!
by Josh  

speeches and letters 2005/7/27 15:46
In Japanese language, we basically use keigo in most speeches and letters/emails even if the other party is a casual friend or family.

In particular, when expressing thanks to an older person in a formal occasion such as a wedding speech, one should use keigo. But if you wish, perhaps you can put a short non-keigo sentence at the end or something to show that, although you are a responsible adult who can make a proper speech, you still wanted to show affection.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Sample? 2005/8/31 00:36
Thank you for the advice. Can you suggest some sample language for a speech? I fear my Japanese is so rusty...
by Josh rate this post as useful

your words 2005/8/31 23:09
Josh, why don't you post an English phrase sample here. Then someone may be able to translate it. Any speech is best when written in your own words, especially if it's going to be a thank you speech.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thank you speech 2007/12/19 03:00
I need to write some thank you speech in Japanese for my friend. What should i say? ... on behalf of bride and groom, I would like to thank you all to attend the wedding and be witness today .. blah blah blah ...
by Soi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread