Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Himeji to Kyoto 2005/8/22 13:40
Hi,
I want to go from Osaka to Himeji to see the castle and then to Kyoto to do the second suggested tour in this guide including the Golden Pavilion and Arashiyama and then back to Gion Corner for 8pm show and then finally back to Osaka (where I am staying with a friend).
What is the best pass to get for this itinerary and is it possible? or do I need to skip Himeji?
by Gayle  

.... 2005/8/22 14:29
It is theoretically possible, but in praxis it is terribly packed.

One possible rough itinerary would be:

Leave Osaka around 7:45 to be in Himeji by the time the castle opens at 9am. It takes one hour by "JR special rapid" from Osaka Station to Himeji and about a 20 minute walk from Himeji Station to the castle.

Then take the JR special rapid from Himeji to Kyoto Station (90 minutes) and the JR Sagano Line from Kyoto Station to Saga-Arashiyama Station (20 minutes). I suggest to go to Arashiyama before the Golden Pavilion, because you can get there quickly by JR train from Kyoto Station and you happen to pass through Kyoto Station.

So, for example, if you leave Himeji around 11am, you will be in Arashiyama around 1pm.

From Arashiyama to the Golden Pavilion it takes about 30-45 minutes by Keifuku train and bus. Since the Golden Pavilion closes at 5pm, I recommend to leave Arashiyama by 3:30pm.

For the above itinerary I suggest to use a 1-day JR West Rail Pass Kansai Area for the JR trains and single tickets for the Keifuku train and buses in Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

alternative itinerary 2005/8/22 23:17
Thanks for your help Uji! I think I will skip Himeji or try to get there another day cuz I don't want to be so rushed in Kyoto.
or the other option since I will be in Kyoto for 2 days is to do the first suggested itinerary - Higashiyama and Philosphers Walk with the Himeji trip since going to Arashiyama takes some time. What do you think?
Also is the Keifuku train and Hankyu railway included in the Kyoto sightseeing card? If I do the second suggested itinerary walking to Golden Pavilion and Ryoanji and then take Keifuku to Arashiyama there and train/bus to get back to Gion Corner for show - is it worth it to get a pass or single tickets?
by Gayle rate this post as useful

... 2005/8/23 06:37
Also is the Keifuku train and Hankyu railway included in the Kyoto sightseeing card?

No. Only city buses and subways can be used.

If I do the second suggested itinerary walking to Golden Pavilion and Ryoanji and then take Keifuku to Arashiyama there and train/bus to get back to Gion Corner for show - is it worth it to get a pass or single tickets?

If that is all you do on that day, single tickets will come cheaper. Note that if you use city buses three times or more per day, a 1-day bus pass for 500 Yen is a good deal.

Is this feasible? 2005/10/21 16:00
I have read that viiting Himeji Castle takes around 90 mins is sufficient and is wondering if i can travel from my hotel in Osaka (near Dobutsuen-Mae Station/Tennoji Station) in the morning (as mentioned 7.45am) and tour Himeji castle to around 10.30-11am and then return to hotel to check out and leave Osaka for Kyoto.
Is this taking up too much time? Or any place at Himeji to store luggages?
Should i buy JR West Rail 1 day Pass - Kansai Area, since i am travelling thru and fro Osaka and Himeji and to Kyoto. Or is there a better suggestion for the journey? Would apprecite if time and cost is included.

Sorry for my stupidness, really puzzled over the transportation.
by puzzled rate this post as useful

... 2005/10/21 20:10
I have read that viiting Himeji Castle takes around 90 mins

Yes, depending on the pace of travel (and on busy days crowds), it takes between 45 minutes and 2 hours to see the castle, although castle lovers could easily spend more time.

Access from the station to the castle takes about 20-30 minutes one way.

Or any place at Himeji to store luggages?

There are coin lockers at Himeji Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Should i buy JR West Rail 1 day Pass - Kansai Area, since i am travelling thru and fro Osaka and Himeji and to Kyoto.

Yes, this is a nice saving compared to regular tickets.

Himeji 2005/10/22 01:19
I was at Himeji in June. It's a good 20 minutes walk from Himeji station to the castle entrance. We spent a good 2 hours there. That includes climbing the flights of stairs to the top. The castle compund has a lot to explore too. We loved it. You'll have fun there.
by IL rate this post as useful

Kyoto-Himeiji-osaka 2005/11/30 22:17
Uji,

I am checking out hotel in Kyoto in 2 days time, then move to Osaka. I want to do himeji castle. But I am thinking should I do it a day's trip tomorrow with one day Kansai thru pass. Or, do you think i should buy the kansai thru pass on the day i leave for Osaka? Then travel to Himeji from Osaka?

Is Himeji along the way to Osaka or is it AFTER Osaka?

THANK U V MUCH.
by Naga rate this post as useful

himeji 2005/12/1 03:31
Himeji is after Osaka, from Kyoto (by Shinkansen) you pass through Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe, then Himeji.
by philip rate this post as useful

... 2005/12/1 10:04
Check out the map on the following page to see where Kyoto, Osaka and Himeji are located:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html

The above page also gives information about the Surutto Kansai ticket. Note that there is no 1-day ticket. Also, note that access to Himeji by JR train is considerably faster than by non-JR trains (you cannot use JR with the Surutto Kansai ticket). Assuming you want to visit Himeji in a one-day trip, you may want to consider using a 1-day JR West Kansai Pass instead. Here are details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html

Kansai Thru Pass 2005/12/2 09:02
Uji

It says ticket enables you to ride on subways private rail and buses thru out kansai district.

Does that mean i can use it internally for Osaka and kyoto subways ??
by Naga rate this post as useful

... 2005/12/2 10:05
Does that mean i can use it internally for Osaka and kyoto subways ??

Yes, the Surutto Kansai tickets are also valid on Osaka and Kyoto subways. It is all mentioned on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html

Reverse trip 2007/4/30 16:30
Hope I didn't break etiquette by posting my question in the same thread: please advise on the following itinerary:

Wake up in Kyoto:
Early morning: Kyoto - Arashiyama (spend morning in Arashiyama)
1pm-ish: Arashiyama - Himeji (afternoon in Himeji, what else should I visit besides the castle?)
5pm-ish: Himeji - Osaka
Overnight in Osaka

I was thinking of using the JR West Rail Pass Kansai Area for this.

Thank you for your help.
by SML rate this post as useful

... 2007/4/30 16:51
what else should I visit besides the castle?

I don't think you will have time to see much else.If you have some time left, I suggest to visit Kokoen Garden, but I am pretty sure you won't have time for Mount Shosha:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html

I was thinking of using the JR West Rail Pass Kansai Area for this.

Sounds good. Then, make sure to take the JR Sagano Line from Arashiyama to Kyoto.

Lockers at JR Himeji Station 2007/11/13 00:22
Hi,

Anyone know whether there are Large lockers
approx. 117cm x 43cm x 57cm
(44in x 16in x 22in) at Himeji stations and how many are there?

Thanks.
by Snow Jasmine rate this post as useful

reply to this thread