Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

Lunch with muslim friends in Kamakura 2005/9/3 20:06
I am planning to go Kamakura with muslim friends, but cannot find a place for lunch within the budget (1,000 yens/person). Halal or vegitarian restaurants there are too expensive. So I'm planning to make some phone calls to cheaper places to ask if they have some dish without any pork or lard. (Now I am thinking of buckwheat noodle shops, sandwitch houses and round-about sushi bars)
Is there any additional points I should check with the restaurant owners?
by Teku  

pork or lard only? 2005/9/5 08:19
If you want to avoid fish broth, that would be tough, but if pork and pork lard are the only things you want to avoid, I think it will be quite easy to find reasonable dishes that will make your friends happy in Kamakura.

I'm sorry I don't know any specific restaurants, but do make that phone call. I'm sure that some chefs can make you special arrangements if you call in advance.

Bon appetite!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Good question... 2005/9/6 03:08
Thank you Uco.
That is exactly I like to know. I am not a muslima, and I'd like to ask for an advice from anybody who is familiar with halal food.
Is it enough to select dish without pork or lard? Or should I ask the cook to wash his hands and utensils after he cuts bacon, ham or even gelatine?
by Teku rate this post as useful

Not much help but 2005/9/6 07:13
Not much help, I'm not familiar with halal food, but I know it as a set of very strict rules about what can be eaten, what needs to be definitely avoided, etc.

Have a look at a website like this?
http://islam.about.com/cs/dietarylaw/a/halalfood.htm

I think there is some link off the above website that lists "to avoid" and "to be careful" food ingredients.

But it just may be better to check directly with your friends first, I mean, if they have stayed/lived in Japan for any length of time, they would
have some ideas about what among Japanese cuisine they can/cannot, or prefer/not prefer to eat? If you want to be strict, fish that is grilled on the same grill as pork is something you have to avoid, too, and it would be extremely difficult for non-halal, non-vegetarian restaurants, particularly of budget price range, to accommodate that much special care? I hope you find a good place for your friends and yourself to enjoy lunch in...
by AK rate this post as useful

I think it depends on the person 2005/9/6 07:27
I've guided some guests from places like India or Muslim countries, and some people seem to be strict while others just "try" to be strict. It's probably best to check your friends in advance. Checking the food preferences of your precious guests is a good way to show courtesy.

50 yen more 2005/9/6 09:33
for a set menu with Kenchinjiru soup.
http://www.kcn-net.org/kamakura/kitakama/kita-goz.html

Or it might be an idea to go picknicking with your homemade lunch boxes after you ask them as uco said above. It may be good at Genjiyama Park or beach areas such as a park in Inamuragasaki beach.
by pacman rate this post as useful

Thank you for useful information! 2005/9/6 22:11
AK, Uco, pacman, thank you for useful advices!
Oops, strict halal sounds too tough. Perhaps I should consider the homemade lunch box... The good news is, I've found a halal food shop near Tsunashima station while navigating around the Web.
The bad news is, it is going to be their first trip to a non-muslim country, and it seems hard for them to imagine the difficulties to get halal food and its price.
As they aren't sure of their own adaptability, I'll prepare several options for them.
Thanks again for your kind help!

. 2005/9/7 14:55
When you get tired ater walking and picnicking, Kamakura oboro near Hachimangu shrine offers you nice tofu desserts. they are about 350 to 400yen.

And there is a tokyu store in front of Kamakura station, and you can find cooked food shops like other department stores.
by pacman rate this post as useful

I'll check it. Thanks! 2005/9/8 07:33
pacman, thank you again.
Sounds delicious.
This Saturday, I'm planning to check the spots to visit. I'm sure I'll try tofu dessert.
Thank you!

I wanted to know too.. 2005/9/12 06:00
I'm a Muslim woman, I was wondering the same thing, I would like to travel around the world but what worries me the most is the food, we try to eat only seafood when we are travelling to non-muslims countries.

I'm planning to visit Japan in two months and I keep worrying about that part, I wouldn't mind eating fish all the time even though I prefer chicken but I cannot eat chicken or any beef if it's not halal.
by Fatima rate this post as useful

Hi Fatima 2005/9/12 09:57
Sticking to seafood is very easy in Japan.

In almost all dishes, fish broth is used, but hardly animal broth unless you go to western style restaurants.

Of course to be safe, explain your situation to the chef in advance.

I know, because my son was highly allergic to chicken eggs and wanted to strictly avoid dishes with chicken extract.

I hope it may help... 2005/9/12 23:25
Hi, Fatima
I found Japan Islamic Center has a list of halal food shop and restaurants - mainly Tokyo. Please call in advance to check the information is up-to-date:
http://islamcenter.or.jp/eng/hallfood.htm
Here's a restaurant guide that lists some Middle Eastern cuisine;
http://www.gnavi.co.jp/en/

Thank you! 2005/9/13 03:37
Thank you both for your kind help and answers!

Fish broth is ok! I also have allergy from chicken,duck eggs, I try as much as I can to avoid dishes with eggs even the mayo!

Teku, thank you for the links! I think it's gonna help me a lot. Though I do love the Japanese food, I might end up with a tag on my chest saying "please serve me food without lard and pork broth!" in Japanese lol
by Fatima rate this post as useful

Seafood is fine, but Sake??? 2005/9/15 04:54
Seafood is ok so long as it is free from wine or any other Haraam (impermissible) ingredients. I'd like to know whether or not Sake is Halal? The basic question is does it intoxicate you or not? If it does even in large quantities then it is not permissible to consume. Also I've heard many Japanese culinary dishes are made using Sake. I'm a big fan of Japanese culture that's why I'd like to know if Sake is Halal or not. Arigatou
by Waseem rate this post as useful

Waseem---- 2005/9/15 06:12
I have no expertise in halal rules but I can tell you that sake is intoxicating...it is no different in that respect from wine or beer. However, it is often the case that when alcoholic beverages are used in cooking, the act of cooking causes the alcohol to evaporate, leaving only flavor. Therefore no intoxication can occur.

Perhaps your cleric or other advisor can tell you whether it is permissible or not to eat food prepared with a formerly alcoholic beverage (from which the alcohol is mostly--or maybe even entirely--removed).
by watagei rate this post as useful

halal food 2005/9/16 15:29
Here is a list of what Muslims donft eat (not halal):
Pork, ham, lard...any products coming from pigs
Anything cooked with alcohol weather sake or wine.
Muslims are not allowed to drink any alcoholic beverages.
Thatfs probably it

But their are rules concerning how meat is prepared (if the way is not halal then the meat is not), but if a Muslim is in a country where their isnft any halal meat they could eat what the locals eat unless its something form the list above.

Foods always allowed;
Seafood...Fish, shrimps etc

hope this is of some help to you.
by sarah rate this post as useful

Halal Food. 2005/9/18 19:01
Hi there!
It was amazing to read all these messages about exchanging cultures and so! I'm muslim and I've visited South Korea recently.The only thing that muslims can't eat are pork(including pig derivatives) and alcohol.Meat is OK as long as it's prepared in a certain way which most probably won't be in the far east so it's better to stick to sea and vegetarian food.I really had to problems with that in Korea even at Macdonald's ..haha..(Fish sandwich is great!)
I would love to come to Japan one day,and Teku,I hope it was easy to find something good for your friends!
Thanks.
by berry rate this post as useful

Wow, every comment is informative! 2005/9/19 17:26
Hi. Thank you all for kind suggestions from locals and practical insights from muslims! Sorry not having a chance to respond for a while!

Now my friends sound a little braver than before and they'd like to take a glimpse at Japanese food.
If neither meat nor sake is allowed, then... I could think of sushi, sashimi, tempura with salt dip, miso soup, most aemono & sunomono (veggie sidedish), shioyaki & hiraki (grilled seafood), and so on... Well, I would try a sushi bar, perhaps.

HALAL FOOD 2005/10/1 03:23
hello to everybody,

i would like to recommend the following link - which also provides answers in japanese :

www.islam-qa.com

very informative about halal food.

and after all i would like to thank because i find it great that the host takes so much care about her/his guests!!! THANK YOU A LOT!!
by muslima rate this post as useful

Some enquiries... 2006/1/18 08:57
Dear all,

I'm also interested to know halal food restaurants in Japan. I've found one webiste zabahah.com - which listed all the muslim restaurants worldwide - includes in Japan. But I'm not sure on the food prices- can someone here advise me the average rate for food in muslim restaurants there, epc. in tokyo?
by arz rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

reply to this thread