Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

''Transsexual and Transgender'' 2005/10/10 01:58
I would just like to know how the two words translate. I guess both in 'slang' and technical terms.  どうもありがとう!
by エリカ  

.. 2005/10/11 11:46
You just say, "New Half." in a katakana accent.
by .. rate this post as useful

dictionary says... 2005/10/11 12:36
I got this courtesy of www.alc.co.jp

transsexual
【名】 性転換者、
sei ten kan sha (a person who changes their sex)
性倒錯者、
sei tou saku sha
(a person who is sexually perverted)
両性具有の人、
ryo sei gu yu no hito
(an androgynous or hermaphroditic person)
バイセクシャル
baisekusharu
(bisexual)

transgender
【名】 トランス・ジェンダー
toransu jendaa (trans-gender)

◆自己{じこ}の性と心の性の不一致{ふいっち}から、反対{はんたい}の性で生きようとする人
jiko no sei to kororo no sei no fuicchi kara, hantai no sei de ikiyou to suru hito
(a person who lives as the opposite sex because their physical sex and the sex of their soul is different)

So, that's what the dictionary says. I'm sure there are many other slang words out there that are not listed there.
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

If you mean... 2005/10/11 22:35
If you mean "people who think and prefer to live like the gender opposite to how that person was physically born", then nowadays, the media seems to prefer calling all of them "sei-dou-itsu-sei-shou-kou-gun no hito", which literally means, "person/people who has/have gender identity disorders".

In slang however, those who are physically born as men but think like women are called "o-kama", and those who are physically born as women but think like men are called "o-nabe". (But they're not really the same things as gender identity disorder, are they).

Hope this answers your question.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2005/10/12 03:22
or just say "new half"
by ... rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/23 23:26
I know this thread is old, but for anyone stumbling upon it recently: ''new half'' is a rather derogatory term so please do not use it.
by A. rate this post as useful

What to say? 2008/6/24 09:30
So can you offer a politer alternative?
by SHU rate this post as useful

Transsexuals 2008/6/24 10:23
Shu,

So can you offer a politer alternative?

"Newhalf" is not really considered derogatory, but, as it conjures up images of those working in the entertainment industry, I don't think transsexuals who just wish to lead a normal life appreciate the label. The preferred terms seem to be (in approximate order of preference) the English "GID", "トランス系の人" (toransu-kei no hito), and the long-winded Japanese "性同一性障害の人" (seidouitsuseishougai no hito), although the politest way would probably be to not use a label in the first place.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread