Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Greetings in a business email? 2005/10/13 19:07
Hello, I need to send a business email to a client in Tokyo . Most of the message will be in English as my Japanese is not good enough, but I'd like to include an appropriate comment/greeting at the start and end of the message in Japanese. Should I comment on the weather as in a letter or do different rules apply for email? (In English I think the language used in emails tends to be a lot more informal, even in business situations). I'd be very grateful for some advice.
by Liz  

... 2005/10/13 20:23
First comes the name of the reciever, of course (Dear --- or --- sama).

Then start with
Osewa ni natte orimasu.
お世話になっております。

And end with
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
よろしくお願いします。

before you sign your name.

"Should I comment on the weather as in a letter"

Basically, no.

"or do different rules apply for email?"

Basically, yes.
by Uco rate this post as useful

That's great, thanks very much for your help Uco.
by Liz rate this post as useful

Japanese greeting email 2007/10/22 13:50
Hi, I need to send a business related email inquiry to a company located in Japan. I found out the following post with regards on how to start and end the business email. http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+20355

However, I am not sure how I should start with addressing someone if I do not know anyone working in the company?
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/22 14:05
There is a way to address the company (or the department in a company) without knowing the name. It will be like "Dear Sir/Madam of company A)."

If you have the name of the company, for example, ABC Co., Ltd ABC株式会社 (ABC kabushiki gaisha), then you write:

ABC株式会社 御中
ABC Kabushiki gaisha onchu

Or if you also know the department (normally referred to as "... bu") name in that company, you could say:
ABC株式会社 XYZ部 御中
ABC Kabushiki gaisha, XYZ Bu onchu
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese greeting email 2007/10/22 14:38
Thanks AK. Thanks for you help.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread