Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food -Miyanoshita station - Hakone 2005/10/31 11:51
Could anybody tell me what the dinner rate charged in Fujiya Hotel at Miyanoshita station? If it's too expensive, we may eat out in local Japanese restaurant nearby. Any suggestions?
by Martha  

... 2005/10/31 12:16
I just ate there a few days ago. Unfortunatelly, the service was a disappointment. We may have been unlucky. We ate in the "Wisteria Grill".

At the "Wisteria Grill", expect to pay about 3000 Yen for the main dish or about 8000 Yen for a dinner set.

The prices in "The Fujiya" are another 1000 to 2000 Yen higher and advance reservations seem to be mandatory.

There are 2 or 3 smaller, cheaper restaurants nearby.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Food - Hakone 2005/10/31 14:33
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Any other good places for food in Hankone that tourists have to go?
by Martha rate this post as useful

Food: Hakone-Yumoto station 2005/11/1 02:47
Just wondering if there're more Japanese restaurants near Hakone-Yumoto station or not. If so, can I have one or two good ones?

And, is there anywhere I could translate Japanese to English via online tool?

same question 2005/11/1 10:06
I had the same question. I did alot of research before my first trip to Japan last spring and didn't find any restaurants that stand out in Hakone. Now I am going again and staying in Hakone, and everything I read and everyone I talk to or post with says Hakone is more about the nature and beauty outdoors and the ryokan and onsens, if you stay in one. The only reviews of food i have seen are when people have dinner at their ryokan included in the price. I have never seen a review of just a restaurant in Hakone. I have read and heard that aside from restaurants in hotels there are not many restaurants and that the ones that are there are not open very late in the evening. From this I have gathered that it is better to eat at your hotel/ryokan for dinner.
I am very interested if someone has a different experience or view.
by Eileen rate this post as useful

BTW 2005/11/1 10:12
Also, I am staying a 5 min. bus ride from Hakone Yumoto station. The owner of the place i am staying did say that we coudl take the bus to Hakone Yumoto and eat there, but warned us that few places are open in the late in the evening after 7 p.m. I don't think he is trying to get us to eat at the ryokan, just giving us info. But I would also be interested in feedback.
by Eileen rate this post as useful

Hakone restaurant 2005/11/2 03:22
I'm not pretty sure the English name for this Japanese restaurant in Hakone. I found this out in www.hakone-beer.com. How can I get there from Hakone-Yumoto station? According to the info provided on the website, it can be accessed by "Hakone Tozan Railway -- a wind festival -- station On foot 2 minutes". But I can't find that station on the Hakone map. Can anyone help?

... 2005/11/3 12:02
Note that the restaurant is located in Odawara City (near the boarder to Hakone) rather than in Hakone.

The train station is called "Kazamatsuri Station". It is located exactly in the middle between Odawara Station and Hakone-Yumoto Station. In fact, it is the second station from either Odawara or Hakone-Yumoto Station, to be reached in 7 minutes.

food again... 2005/11/3 12:36
When is the last train (Hakone-Tozan railway) to run between Hakone-Yumoto station and Kazamatsuri Station? Just make sure we can catch the train to go back to the hotel. BTW, any Japanese restaurants in Hkone-Yumoto area?

When does Hakone get dark at night? Is it safe to travel around the city at night?

... 2005/11/3 12:55
When is the last train (Hakone-Tozan railway) to run between Hakone-Yumoto station and Kazamatsuri Station?

The last train from Kazamatsuri to Hakone-Yumoto leaves Kazamatsuri at 11:20pm

BTW, any Japanese restaurants in Hkone-Yumoto area?

Yes, but many tend to close when daytrippers leave, that is relatively early. Only a few stay open during dinner time.

When does Hakone get dark at night?

That depends on the season! Right now, sunset is around 16:45.

Is it safe to travel around the city at night?

It is a small hot spring town. Safe.

Restaurants in Miyanoshita 2005/11/5 15:16
We just returned from a stay at the Fujiya Hotel last week. Here is the restaurant situation -- outside of the restaurants at the Fujiya, there are three restaurants in town open during the week -- a tempura restaurant, an italian restaurant and a sushi restaurant. On Monday thru Wednesday, it appears that at least one of these restaurants are closed on any given night. We ate at the Italian restaurant which was very good and has a very affordable set menu for about 1400 Yen. The tempura restaurant was small and a bit over priced for what you get. There is also a Lawson's in town which is good in a pinch,

However, all of these restaurants are bargains compared to the Fujiya Hotel which charges $25 for a club sandwich in their casual lounge.

We enjoyed our stay at the Fujiya Hotel, but be warned that eating there is VERY expensive.
by Yvonne rate this post as useful

Thanks Yvonne 2005/11/6 10:50
We're not going to stay in Fujiya hotel as it has no vacancy for our intended stay. So we'll stay in Hakone-Yumoto area. Do you know any restaurants there?

some suggestions 2005/11/7 02:06
Martha,
Dinner outside hotels have always been in an issue in small resort towns like Hakone due to the restaurants' unconvenient working hours.

If lunch is not out of question, than I'd strongly suggest you to try kare-raisu (curry rice) at The Fujiya. It's their most prominent product, yet is only available at lunch time. I believe it's priced at around 2000yen.

As you may know, Fujiya Hotel is particularly known for its classic atmosphere, so unless you're interested in such things, you'd think the prices there are outrageous.

On the other hand, if you are, then you may want to join their hotel tour, which starts at 4 pm everyday (only in Japanese, though). It'll be an exceptional experience.

The Italian rest. near Fujiya Hotel (La Pazza, CMIIW) is quite popular among Japanese, but I'm not sure how would Westeners like it.

For a Japanese experience, then you may want to give ryokan cuisine a try, but again, they usually are quite expensive.

For wider and more popular choices, then you'd better go to Odawara (the nearest city from Hakone), since they have fast foods, and popular Japanese foods like tenpura, udon, ramen, etc. It's around 20 mins by train from Hakone Yumoto.

Hope it helps!
by made rate this post as useful

Directions for restaurant 2006/4/11 10:37
I looked at the www.hakone-beer.com website and got a friend to translate a little for me, since I canft read Japanese. She explained that the restaurantfs name is Hakone Beer Kura, and that it is a one minute walk from the Kazamatsuri bus stop. My friends will be at the Kowaki-en Hotel, and I would like to know if they can catch the bus in front of the hotel to get to Kazamatsuri. I assume that there is no romaji on the bus stop listings. Can they just ask the bus driver to stop there? (Well, in English.) Thanks very much.
by Lisa rate this post as useful

... 2006/4/11 12:48
My friends will be at the Kowaki-en Hotel, and I would like to know if they can catch the bus in front of the hotel to get to Kazamatsuri.

Yes, the Hakone Tozan buses bound for Odawara provide a direct connection to Kazamatsuri. The one way trip takes 25 minutes and costs 660 Yen. It is fully covered by the Hakone Free Pass.

I assume that there is no romaji on the bus stop listings.

I can't remember. It could be that the next station is also shown in romaji. If not, yes, I would ask the driver to let them know when stopping at Kazamatsuri stop.

Kazamatsuri Bus stop 2006/4/11 13:03
Thank you, Uji.
by Lisa rate this post as useful

Sushi Restaurant in Miyanoshita 2007/4/24 08:25
We've just returned from a stay at the Fujiya Hotel in Miyanoshita. It was our fourth stay over the past 25 years.
We decided to try a sushi restaurant, just around the corner from the Fujiya.(the tempura restaurant was closed). The sushi place is a small but charming restaurant with counter space for about six and several small tables. We found the food to be very good and the prices reasonable. I would recommend it for good meal.
by GK Doi rate this post as useful

La Pazza in Miyanoshita 2009/3/13 12:04
Four of us had pizza at this restaurant and thought it quite good. As you can tell, Fujiya Hotel is very expensive. I am leading a tour to Japan from Seatlle area and budgetted $60 per person for dinner in the main dining room, that being about the lowest amount that can be expected.
by Marilyn Tsuchiya (guest) rate this post as useful

gyoza! 2009/3/14 11:56
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread