Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanji symbol for believe 2005/12/16 04:55
i'm wanting to get a tattoo of the kanji symbol for believe. but i want to be absolutely sure it translates into believe and not something totally different. thanks for the help!
by jessica  

Believe 2005/12/16 11:25
Jessica,
The Japanese for believe is "信じる", "確信", or "信頼". If you really want to condense this into a single kanji, I suppose you could use "信", but I expect your average Japanese person would consider it rather odd.
But if that's what you want - go for it!
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

believe 2005/12/16 11:32
Don't use 信 by itself - it means 'letter' in Chinese. As in, "put a letter in the post." Totally random thing to have for a tattoo!
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

. 2005/12/16 11:50
信 may mean Letter in Chinese but we're speaking Japanese here.
by .. rate this post as useful

Other meanings 2005/12/16 17:36
"信" in Chinese has a few meanings, one of which is... of course "letter", it can also mean "to believe", or "faith"
by Eric rate this post as useful

character 2005/12/17 21:36
'誠' mean cordiality and loyalty. This character was often used by samurai group called Shinsengumi.
by Smith rate this post as useful

Jessica 2005/12/19 04:09
信 could be a bit "manly" for a lady as this kanji is found in many fearless like 信長、信玄、謙信、隆信、昌信、信房、信繁 etc, if you don't mind. But it is surely much more meaningful than the shallow 手紙。
by Centurion rate this post as useful

Fearless 2008/6/26 23:59
I am looking for the Kanji for "Fearless". This is relating to surviving child abuse.

Thanks
by Regina rate this post as useful

Fearless 2008/6/27 00:29
Regina,

"Fearless" in Japanese would be "恐れ知らず" (osoreshirazu). As with the "believe" request above, I don't think this could be satisfactorily condensed into a single character, although there are probably other two-character combinations that convey the same meaning as "fearless".
And as with the English, it doesn't really have any connotations relating to child abuse.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread