Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mult Reentry Permits? 2005/12/17 01:46
Im working in Japan (have sponsored visa and what-not)...i need to fly home for an emergency. i already booked my flight, but im stuck working up until four days before i leave. i could go on saturday, but i dont think the offices are open sat-sunday. i know i need a reentry permit, but is it time sensitive? if i show up at the Chiba City Shiyakusho only four days before i leave, would they deny me my reentry permit? would they only let me get a single reentry instead, or none at all? any help's greatly appreciated!
by Z in Chiba  

... 2005/12/17 10:41
You have to go to an immigration office, not the city hall in order to get a re-entry permit. If your immigration office is organized well, the process should not take more than 30 minutes. If it is organized badly, it may take more than an hour.

The Chiba Immigration Office is open between 9:00 and 12:00 and between 13:00 and 16:00. Closed on weekends and public holidays.

Here is a map:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/soshiki/kikou/image/03_tokyo/0308_chiba.gif
by Uji rate this post as useful

Domo 2005/12/17 11:50
Thanks Uji!!!! :-)
by Z in Chiba rate this post as useful

To Z in Chiba. 2005/12/17 23:34
I live in Chiba too, it gets really crowded and can take hours plus they take a lunch break. The best thing to do is go there at least an hour before it opens bring a book and some breakfast. There is usually a line that forms before the immigration office opens. The phone number is 043-202-1301 if you need directions how to get there.
by sarahck rate this post as useful

Yeah and Uji is right. 2005/12/17 23:46
If you don't have to wait a long time before your number is called and you have your forms ready, the process takes about fifteen to thirty minutes, as once the officer reviews your forms, you will have to go downstairs and buy the re-entry stamp, then go back upstairs to the immigration office again. Once you have the stamp you don't need to take another waiting ticket, just approach the counter of the previous officer that reviewed your forms.
by sarahck rate this post as useful

according to my understanding 2005/12/18 10:14
It depends on the immigration office. Some smaller offices treat every inquiry the same. This means that people with a simple application for a re-entry permit will have to line up in the same line as people applying for some complicated working visa issue. Consequently, it can take hours. Judging from the descriptions of sarahck, the Chiba office sounds to be one of those small, badly organized offices. The Takasaki Office in Gunma is also badly organized.

In well organized offices, there are separate windows for simple matters like re-entry permits and complicated matters, which means that a simple process like a re-entry permit application usually takes less than an hour.

Saitama (and I believe Tokyo) are examples of such better organized offices.

Chiba immigration office 2007/5/31 13:48
Just wanted to add to this in case anyone is Googling looking for info on the Chiba immigration office and not finding much.

The office is indeed badly organized; I went there yesterday to extend my Spouse visa and had to wait nearly 3 hours (with a 16 month old, oh joy). Once my number was finally called it took about 10 minutes. I handed over my documents and filled in a postcard. They'll send me back the postcard when my visa is ready and then I'll have to go back to the office again (sigh). I didn't need the stamps on my first visit.

The stamps are sold at the post office in the basement.

If you go to Chiba Minato station it might not be obvious which way to go to the Chiba Community Center building (the Immigration office is on the 1st floor of that building) because there's no map at Chiba Minato station, and no sign in English. But you can change to the Chiba monorail and take it one stop to Shiyakushomae station (190). The community center is right next to the monorail station, and there is a walkway from the station into the buliding. There's also a sign in English. If you do know where to go though, it's a pretty short walk from Chiba Minato station, only about 5 minutes.

The immigration office is really hot and poorly air conditioned; dress in layers. They thoughtfully provide hand fans (with pictures of what will happen to you if you overstay your visa printed on them!)

There are a few shops selling food in the basement of the building.
by Abikomama rate this post as useful

Saitama Immigration Office 2007/5/31 14:20
Abikomama & anyone else concerned,

I don't think there is any obligation to go to the office serving your prefecture, and if you are in Abiko, the Saitama office (Kita-Yono station on the Saikyo Line) is probably not much further away than Chiba.
While it is always busy and minimally air-conditioned, the queing system does seem to be well organized, and I usually find I can be in and out within about 15 minutes for simple procedures like getting a re-entry permit. The fact that it is right in front of the station is also a big plus. The kiosk selling revenue stamps is in the building across the road.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/5/31 15:13
When I extended my visa the last time, the documents stated that I have to use the immigration office in the region where I am registered. Not sure if it is enforced or not. On the other hand, I had no problems getting a re-entry permit in a different prefecture.

To avoid another traumatic experience at the Gunma immigration office, I hired a lawyer this time to do the paperwork and hand in the material for me. He asked for about 15,000 Yen plus application fees.

If you have to phone them... 2007/11/6 14:07
I wanted to double-check the opening times for Chiba's Immigration Office, posted on this page, so I decided to give them a call.

The phone was engaged for ages, and then when I did get through, noone answered.

I then phoned the Tokyo Regional Office, and the phone was answered in an eyeblink by an English speaking receptionist, who answered my questions without hesitation. It took all of ten seconds.

So if you are having trouble with our wonderfully efficient Chiba office, I suggest directing your queries to the Tokyo Regional Office.
by James rate this post as useful

Not all bad news Uji... 2007/11/27 23:58
Just to balance things out, some other Chiba Immigration info that might be helpful.

The reentry form is downloadable here, so you can print it and fill it in beforehand:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/06....

If you get to the Chiba office around 830, you should be done quickly - ive never had more than 8-10 people in front of me.

Dont wait for them to ask you to get the stamp (payment) - take the ticket for reentry visa queue, then go straight down to the post office in the basement and buy your stamp, then return (PO opens at 9am, same time as imm office). By the time you get back up, you will have maybe another 10-15 minutes to wait before you are called. You now have the completed form and the stamp. Hand it all over. When you are called back (after another 5-10 minutes) it will be to collect your reentry visa. Done!

I suggest multiple, as it is valid until your work visa expires.

You can get a reentry visa any time up until the day you are leaving (though wouldnt recommend it!) - in fact i think you can probably also get it at the airport...

Take a book. Dont stress - you (probably) arent a criminal. Smile and say "thank you"!
by Steve D rate this post as useful

No Dice 2008/3/5 22:08
I went to the Saitama branch in Kita Yono even though I live in Chiba. Word to the wise: they sent me to Tokyo. That was after I had already been waiting for an hour. So save yourself a trip and just go to Tokyo.
by Destroyer The Mal rate this post as useful

Saitama Immigration 2008/3/5 22:33
Destroyer wrote:

I went to the Saitama branch in Kita Yono even though I live in Chiba. Word to the wise: they sent me to Tokyo. That was after I had already been waiting for an hour.

Just out of interest, was that for a re-entry permit or for something more complicated?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread