Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spring blossom dance (geisha) Kyoto 2006/1/23 18:26
Hello I have read about a dance/concert in april that the geisha perform at, Kyoto I believe can anyone provide any details or a link to where I could reserve tickets.

(between 03/04 to 06/04)
Arigato
by Darren  

um... 2006/1/24 13:01
I think you mean Maiko and Geiko Odori. We went to the afternoon show, we bought tickets at the theater that same day after the taxi driver told us about the event. I think your hotel conceirge may also be able to help with your ticket info.

*this is a clipping from 2005 I don't think info has changed any------*
'Bringing Spring to Kyoto
Ohzarae Rehearsal for Miyako Odori in Higashiyama

Preceding the April 1 opening performance of the 133rd Miyako Odori, the final full-dress rehearsal, Ohzarae, was held on the afternoon of March 31 at the Gion Kobu Kaburenjo Theater in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto.

The theater came alive with the signs of spring as twenty Maiko and Geiko (apprentice and full-fledged geisha) walked down the runway one after another, waving flower-patterned fans and chanting "Miyako Odori wa yo-i-ya-sa".

Dances choreographed using the Inoue School of Kyomai Dance, as well as Nagauta and Joruri compositions, vocal performances accompanied by shamisen music, were all new pieces arranged for this season. Geiko and Maiko demonstrated the results of their training, enacting beautiful scenes of bustling central Kyoto, and others of the autumn leaves of the northern part of the city. In a scene portraying the legendary encounter of Ushiwakamaru and Benkei on the Gojobashi Bridge, two Geiko performed a graceful fighting scene, thrilling audience.

Against the backdrop of the Imperial Palace and its gorgeous cherry blossom trees, the rehearsal grand finale was a scene celebrating the opening of the Kyoto State Guesthouse, scheduled for April 17.

The Miyako Odori will continue until April 30, with performances being held four times a day, starting from 12:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:30p.m. and 4:50p.m. Admission costs 4,300 yen for reserved seating and ceremonial tea, and 3,800 yen or 1,900 yen for other seats. For more information, call Gion Kobu Kabukai at 075-541-3391 (Japanese language only).'
by cc rate this post as useful

Thanks cc 2006/1/24 19:53
Ah nice I will try to go and see it when im in Kyoto, one question someone might be able to help with im staying at Kyoto Takaragaike Prince Hotel I believe I need to get on the subway at Kyoto station anyone know how to get to this hotel and am I right in thinking its the last stop on the subway?

Arigato Gozaimasu
by darren rate this post as useful

about kyoto takaragaike prince hotel 2006/1/24 21:01
To get to Kyoto Takaragaike Prince Hotel,you have to take the Karasumaru subway line from Kyoto Station to Kokusai Kaikan Station.(Its the last stop.)

Here is KyotoTakaragaikePrinceHotel web site
http://www.princejapan.com/KyotoTakaragaikePrinceHotel/KyotoTakaragaike-gettingthere.asp
by hiro rate this post as useful

rehursal on march 20? 2008/2/3 03:32
are any rehursals open to the public? unfortunatly I will only be in kyoto from 19-22 march 2008.
Are there any performances within that time?
by lori rate this post as useful

reply to this thread