Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 51

1 2 3
next

mayonnaise 2006/1/31 21:00
I heard recently that mayonnaise in western countries taste quite different from one in Japanese.

Do you like or dislike Japanese mayonnaise?
by Tatami  

Mayonnaise 2006/2/1 12:41
Tatami,

I can't say I have noticed any difference. Where did you hear that?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2006/2/1 12:41
There are many types of mayonnaise in Japan, just as there are many types of mayonnaise in western countries.

The most popular Kewpie Mayonnaise tastes similar to traditional, handmade mayonnaise in central Europe. Very delicious.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yuck! 2006/2/1 12:59
I HATE mayonaise in Australia! (Sorry aussies, i love you guys for many many other things but not this!) It is kinda sweet! i'm sure they add some suger in it. yuck!
by SorryOZ rate this post as useful

mayonnaise 2006/2/1 20:09
Thank you for your responses.

Some Japanese women who have experience of living western countries told me that they did not like mayonnaise over there.

According to their opinion they were sweet , oily and flat. They said they had missed mayonnaise in Japan.

Iwonder whether foreign people living in Japan found Japanese mayonnaise unpleasant or not.
by Tatami rate this post as useful

It is very different 2006/2/1 20:48
Japanese mayonnaise is very diffrent at least from North American kinds.
I personally think that the Kewpie mayo tastes really bad and make my own mayo from scratch.
I definately am looking forward to a jar of Miracle Whip ( which I know isn't really mayo) when I go home
by bikegirl rate this post as useful

,, 2006/2/1 22:28
"I HATE mayonaise in Australia! (Sorry aussies, i love you guys for many many other things but not this!) It is kinda sweet! i'm sure they add some suger in it. yuck!"

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT? Australia doesn't even have Mayonnaise..

The Mayo we have here is of the Americanised taste, like Kraft and it sure isn't sweet. It is too sour in fact.

I love the Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise so much, I always have one in my fridge. But I disagree for the first time with UCO that it tastes like the European ones.

Okay may be I haven't eaten all types of European mayonnaise but the French and Belgium ones I had much more egg taste, not as salty, slightly more creamy. They work better with fries than Japanese mayo! But Japanese mayo goes better with any salad, takoyaki, okonomiyaki and even rice haha..

Does anyone know where BestFood Mayonnaise is from? I love that but can't find it in Australia anymore.
by Rouge rate this post as useful

Mayonnaise comparison 2006/2/2 03:02
Hi Tatami, I'm from North America and I have tried both kinds of mayo.
I'm use to North American mayonnaise, and to tell the truth, I've never tasted a noticable differents between brands.
However, when my Japanese friend had me try Japanese mayo, I liked it more than any other I've had before.
I can't remember the specific differences, only that it actually had a taste to it. It didn't seem so artificial.

Hope this helps.
by Dani-yan rate this post as useful

BestFood Mayonnaise 2006/2/2 07:37
BestFood Mayonnaise is from Canada. It is easily available in NZ.
by nz rate this post as useful

Best Foods same as Hellman's 2006/2/5 05:34
Best Foods mayonnaise must be licensed everywhere, huh? In the US, Best Foods is available West of Rocky Mt. The same mayonnaise is called Hellman's in the eastern part of the US.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

mayonnaise 2006/2/5 19:45
Thank you folks for your responses.

Rouge, nz, and nanshi...
I have been thinking that I have to try BestFoods mayonnaise since I read your messages.
And I discovered that MEIDI-YA imports and sells it here in Japan!
I can hardly wait to get one!

Thank you again.
by Tatami rate this post as useful

Mayo 2006/2/6 04:46
The mayo in japan does taste different, it is also used very differently in japan. it's often used on cooked vegetables, and even pizza. I deffinately think that japanese mayonaise is better!
by WorldTraveler rate this post as useful

Mayo 2006/2/6 23:15
I love mayo! I find Hellmanns to be really delicious, but I prefere to make my own. Please tell me how to make japanese mayonnaise :) Yummy
by Zeeve rate this post as useful

BestFoods mayonnaise 2006/2/21 10:52
Tatami san, have you tried
BestFoods mayonnaise yet?

Would like to hear your opinion/taste on BestFoods mayonnaise and Japanese mayonnaise.
by nz rate this post as useful

This American loves Kewpi mayo 2006/2/21 17:34
I grew up on Kraft mayo and Miricle Whip. Craft was king in my part of the World. Since then I tried Kewpie and I've been hooked. What is it the eggs and rice vinegar?
by BB rate this post as useful

different! 2006/2/22 14:06
Hi there! I think they're different all right. If you're used to the Japanese type, the North American type just might seem to lack 'something'. But that's not to say I don't like it.
When I was a kid in the States I used to spread mayonnaise on a piece of bread, put some cheese on it and stick it in the toaster oven. I came back to Japan and tried the same with Kewpie... the taste was too strong! Is that the difference?
I wouldn't use Japanese mayonnaise for say turkey sandwiches either.
by liaison rate this post as useful

Actually 2006/2/23 03:11
The difference between mayo and japanese mayo is what it's made of. Traditional mayo does indeed involve the use of eggs while Japanese Mayo uses soya oil and rice vinegar. That's also why it goes well with a variety of Japanese dishes. For a quick test run, try making california roll stuffing using the two types of mayo and you'll see what I mean. You'll basically get crab salad using normal mayo and not necessarily good with sushi rice, while the japanese mayo compliments the rice much better.
by Xaintrix rate this post as useful

. 2006/2/23 23:52

I think all Mayonnaise tastes great except for the Kraft variety, which are too sour an artificial to my taste! I'm not saying it because I hate Americanised companies like Kraft, in fact i'm quite happy with their other products!

For some reason I wrote uco before, she wasn't even on this thread... think it was someone else! lol

As for Best Food Mayonnaise, it is very heavy in egg taste. I remember having some but which were produced from different countries. When Australia used to have them I swear the version we got was much saltier than the other one I had tried in another country. I love the taste, but Best Food mayo doesn't seem to go well with anything though, may be only good for making kifler potato salad with some bacon?

As for the Kewpie Japanese mayo - I just bought some other brands of Japanese mayos and they actually all have slightly different taste. I got one at home now that tastes slightly more egg like than the normal Kewpie baby one....

Let me check the name another night.
by Rouge rate this post as useful

Mayo 2006/2/25 02:46
There is a distinct difference between them. American mayo, using Kraft as my example, seems more fattening and less flavorful(a good thing). It's designed to "moisten" lunchmeats and as a binder for things like tuna salad and potato salad. Japanese mayo, using Kewpie as an example, has a lot of flavor on its own and is used more on its own, next to main dishes. It has more sugar and vinegar and I can always detect the presence of it, whereas American often blends in. I like both =)
by Himitsu rate this post as useful

just bought some Kewpie 2006/2/25 05:38
After all this discussion, I just got some Kewpie mayo and am excited to try it.

A local pan-Asian grocery store now stocks Kewpie (cupid) mayo and another brand from Japan.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 51

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread