Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Salad Dressing Orange Color 2006/2/5 18:46
Hi,
Im Looking for the name of a salad dressing. It is used in almost all the resturants (specially italian ones) I've been to. Its of orange color & has a nice sweet & sour taste. Have any idea?? Sorry for being vauge.
by sara  

thousand island ? 2006/2/6 19:51
by huds_n rate this post as useful

Could be... 2006/2/8 04:46
Thousand Island?
French Dressing?
by .. rate this post as useful

More description. 2006/2/8 07:21
What type of salad? There's different types from table to seafood salad.

Also any more descriptions? Was it clearish or more opaque?

There are a host of dressings that range from sesame to goodness knows what.

For instance a great spicy sashimi salad one involves ponzu, sriracha, and garlic paste.
by Xaintrix rate this post as useful

more info 2006/2/11 18:08
the dressing was opaque. was used in the customary sald you find in every resturant in japan (with cabbage, tomato..).
One other thing, can buy thousand island in a normal japanese super market?
thz for the help.
by sara rate this post as useful

dressing 2007/2/11 08:24
Ginger Dressing i love it and oh how I search for the recipe.....
by Rhiannon Ambrose rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/11 22:40
I think I know the dressing you're referring to. It has orangey and white bits, some kind of vinegarette taste? Sometimes the salad has tofu and tomato as well?
by ROUGE. rate this post as useful

Salad Dressing 2007/5/9 16:57
I'm looking for that one too! It's opaque, orange colour, I think could be orange and sesame but not sure as it had sesame seeds sprinkled on top. We were served it in Japan on lettuce salad. I would love to know what it is too. Someone out there must know!!!
by Lynn rate this post as useful

I bought some Today 2007/8/31 22:21
I dont know the name of it, but a shop sold me some today, and she told me it is made from fresh tomato, vinegar, carrot and i think it has a touch of oil in it, because when it settles there is an oily film on top
by Danielle rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/31 22:56
If it can be found in nearly all restaurants, including italians, then I'm pretty sure it's probably Thousand Island dressing.

You should be able to buy it in just about any supermarket.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/1 17:05
It is definitely not Thousand Island dressing. Completely different thing altogether.

This type of dressing isn't used outside Japan as far as I'm concerned not that I've traveled the world.

Most definitely has carrots in it just not certain of the rest of the components.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

Not thousand island 2007/9/5 09:59
I am in search of the dressing as well. It is definitely not thousand island but much more exquisite and better tasting. It is very hard to find at Japanese places in the U.S. out of the many places I have visited in the past few years, very few have the dressing(one being Korean owned of all people). Does anyone know the name for the dressing or what it is called?
by Sean rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/9/5 16:55
If it can also be found at Italian and Korean restaurants, then perhaps it is not a Japanese creation?

You probably want to find some kind of forum dedicated to food and cooking on a worldwide front. That would probably turn up better results.

Alternativly, if you can remember the name of any of the places that have this dressing, perhaps someone who has visited it may know what you are referring to.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/5 17:01
I think the original poster was referring to Italian restaurants in Japan. Also the reference to Korean restaurants was to Korean owned Japanese restaurant.

Anyway, I think I am familiar with the type of dressing that everyone is referring to and it isn't thousand island or french. I'll try to find it the next time I go to the supermarket. I bet kewpie makes one similar.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

., 2007/9/5 17:59
By the way when I said the dressing isn't used outside Japan, I meant to say no other countries use it.

Obviously some overseas Japanese restaurants have this dressing. I patron some Japanese restaurants here in Aust-land and they carry the sauce. Perhaps I could ask them next time as well.

Would be good if its readily available in bottle form although I have tried most bottled ones, still seems to be a bit different.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

IT is GINGER DRESSING 2007/9/15 05:55
I was looking for it too i have worked at Japaneese Steakhouse in NJ (MT.Fuji) I called them to ask about the name.. GInger!!!!
by Meg rate this post as useful

Kobe 2007/12/22 14:59
I think the dressing you are loking for is served at kobe restaraunts. you can buy the dressing from them. i think it's about $10, but it is well worth it
by Chanelle rate this post as useful

Miso/Carrot Ginger dressing 2008/3/11 06:01
You can find this Japanese opaque orange salad dressing (the ones at the japanese restaurants) at this address, previously published in the New York Times. http://www.recipezaar.com/193126
by Joy rate this post as useful

Color 2008/3/14 14:27
This thread is old but interesting to me, so I post it. You can check colors on the following Japanese site.

It might be ''french dressing(red)''
http://www.salad-cafe-pro.com/products/product.php?id=12205

Or ''Thousand Island dressing''
http://www.salad-cafe-pro.com/products/product.php?id=12203
by jun asakura rate this post as useful

ginger seafood 2008/5/10 11:38
ichebans japaneese reasturant used to sell a combo called ginger seafood that the souse was simular to a sweet and sour done with crushed ginger [a lot of ginger] very savory more so than just sweet and sour
in combination with the jumbo shrimp and crab and scalop was dreamy im looking for that one also becouse ichebans no longer has that combo old school .... id try a little sweet rice wine crush some ginger some red food coloring sugar to just even sweet sour a little crushed crushed white onion cook it slow thiken with starch chill or warm great on seafood

i believe its a japaneese dreasing like ginger soy

by smegun rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread