Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sushi is my favorite were to eat it? 2006/4/28 15:02
my husband and i are on a tight budget but we absolutly love sushi we will be in tokyo,kyoto,nara,takayama,hiroshima, miyajime, and yoshino even though we are on a tight budget I can't go all the way to japan and not have the best sushi ever, thank you
by sushilove  

. 2006/4/30 02:51
I don't know your budget!... but the best one in Japan is Sukiyabashi Jiro in Ginza, Tokyo. There's also 2 other ones, one is in Roppongi operated by 2nd son which is equally good.

Expect to pay 200-400USD per person or more if you're a big eater. This is the traditional Edo-Mae style sushi. Used to be Top 50 restaurants in the world a few years ago.

If you go to those normal sushi train shops you'll be very disappointed, just like me... the quality is very very bad. :(

I think your best bet - for cheaper (but not cheap) but very good quality fish, is go to Tsukiji Fish Market area. There are some very good shops around there! Some are expensive but some are middle tier.

In Japan - if you go to the shops which have a lot of people eating/quieing up - its a good bet its nice stuff!

by Rouge rate this post as useful

sushi 2006/4/30 13:43
This one is my favorite place in Japan--but it's in Nagoya city which where you'll be on your way to Takayama. It's a small very into sushi place--also very popular to locals and sometimes there will be line outside to get in. But it's worth it. You'll see sushi not familiar to anywhere. Owned by native Nagoyan.
Restaurant name---'Sushi Yo' inside Uchiyama BLDG. B1F, 3-24-29 Nishiki, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi.Tel:(052)951-2711

by cc rate this post as useful

.. 2006/4/30 14:41
During the past 10 years, sushi has become very famous in the world.
But It often happens, sushi forigners think is different from one Japanese think.
For example, you can't eat a Calfolnia roll in the traditional sushi shops.

Sukiyabashi Jiro is very expensive. Besides, you would be disappointed because of the above reason.
So I also recommend sushi shops in Tsukiji Fish Market area.
Long queue is landmark.

And also lunch is good in traditional sushi shops.
e.g. Sushi Sei in Ginza area(pls find it out in your guide book).
It costs about USD30-50.
by eiji rate this post as useful

Tsukiji Fish Market area 2006/4/30 17:53
I would also suggest the Tsukiji Fish Market area. Just outside the Tsukiji Fish Market there is a maze of small shops and tiny restaurants; I had some really good sushi there. If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend to go to a good restaurant once instead of going to mediocre restaurants several times.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2006/5/1 00:22
Seems like consensus is Tsukiji!

Sushi Sei is very well known too, its a good bet.

I just wanted to add something which contradicts what I said before - in Shibuya there is a sushi train shop which always has a long queue and where you're made to eat minimum 7 dishes (2 pieces each dish) in 30 minutes. We were getting kicked out of the door (by non-Japanese workers as well) right on the 30 minutes dot. Service aside, that sushi shop is CRAP don't bother going there. I don't understand why ppl queue up for this particular shop... hmmm :(
by Rouge rate this post as useful

Sushiyo 2006/5/2 00:04

By the way Sushiyo is neither too expensive or cheap. It's at average price. They are very professional and couteous. They also have Japanese tatami rooms. Worth checking out.
by cc rate this post as useful

Tsukiji and Shibuya kaiten 2006/7/19 08:26

Seems like consensus is Tsukiji!
Sushi Sei is very well known too, its a good bet.
I just wanted to add something which contradicts what I said before - in Shibuya there is a sushi train shop which always has a long queue and where you're made to eat minimum 7 dishes (2 pieces each dish) in 30 minutes. We were getting kicked out of the door (by non-Japanese workers as well) right on the 30 minutes dot. Service aside, that sushi shop is CRAP don't bother going there. I don't understand why ppl queue up for this particular shop... hmmm :(

Double that on Tsukiji and the kaiten one in Shibuya.

My favorite in Tsukiji is Sushi Dai. Both Sushi Dai and Sushi Daiwa (they are only a few stores apart) have the longest queues. I have tried both restaurants a couple times and I like Sushi Dai much better.

About that kaiten restaurant in Shibuya, I think I know which one you talk about. 30 minutes limit, and min of 7 plates. The food is crap, I have no idea why so many people rave for it. No comparison to Tsukiji at even 1/2 the price. The toro has basically no taste at all.
by baxter rate this post as useful

Tsukiji 2008/4/22 04:51
I recommend eating at the Tsukiji market. I ate at Sukiyabashi Jiro and I thought it was terrible. Granted, the shrimp there was good, but the $40 piece of otoro was utterly substandard and the kobashira essentially inedible. The meal I had at the tsukiji market cost about 1/6th the price of Sukiyabashi Jiro and was incomparably better. That said, don't exepct luxurious serivce at the market - those restaurants are like factories and make money on volume. You will be out in 20 minutes - tops.
by anon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread