Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Problems typing Japanese 2006/5/10 01:13
I installed the windows Japanese IME and it looks like everything is set up properly. The issue I have is when I select "hirigana" the text does not convert. I will type "ka" and it doesn't change it. I figure there must be a setting somewhere that isn't set. Any help will be welcome.

Chris
by vrstud  

this might work 2006/5/10 12:55
If you push ALT and Han/Zen(Kanji) keys at the same time, it would help.

Han/Zen(Kanji) key is located above TAB key/below ESC key.

Cheers,

Nama Beer
by Nama Beer 180-yen rate this post as useful

Typing in certain programs...? 2006/7/10 15:37
I don't know if it helps at all, but I've noticed that with the Global IME it works program-specifically. If you have Word open in view, but it's not your active window, and you type in Japanese you won't see the characters come up.

Just keep trying to switch it, with active programs open. -Maybe try with the settings in the program itself.

...?
by Dayl rate this post as useful

.. 2006/7/11 08:01
Try this....

go to the program you want to type in
click the textarea in which you want the text to appear
press: Left ALT + Left Shift
(this switches languages)
press: Left ALT + ~
then type....it should work then.
by .. rate this post as useful

answers do not work... 2008/4/25 04:29
My solution:
I can only offer that one tries to uninstall and reinstall IME to see if this works.

Or...
Take computer and all its components to a University and go around campus until you find a Japanese professor willing to help you, or find a student that is either learning JP, or is Japanese that will help.

Why? I've found that many a people have gotten their pc's to work without issues by following the same steps we, with issues, have followed.

Here's my experience:
I have found that office word refuses to show the text in Japanese when I convert. The IME is buggy, at best. The only workaround I've found is to download JWPce (freeware) and use it as my JP word processor and totally ignore MS and their programs. This is not the solution I was looking for.

I did a google search trying to find an answer to this issue, and have as of yet not found any.

The suggest of the left alt keys, etc. are useless when you've already set the language bar to JP and the keyboard to IME.
Best wishes! Hopefully, someone with some real answers can post something useful.
by Kyteroo rate this post as useful

I do this 2008/4/25 04:58
Switch the language bar to Japanese (alt-shift cycles between installed languages)

When it's on Japanese, hit ctrl-cap lock

Japanese IME is still capable of typing English, that's why you need to do that second step to enable hiragana conversion.

Hope it works out for you.
by Robuda rate this post as useful

Japanese Windows 2008/4/25 05:00
The English version of Windows does not take two stroke characters like Japanese. You will need to install the Japanese Windows.
by Hiroshi rate this post as useful

Solution found 2008/4/25 09:03
Here is the link to a page that has the complete instructions.
Its the A... bit of the Language Bar that has to be switched to (H) in order to type in Japanese, Hiragana. Unless you switch this, it will always type in English.

The link is
[url]http://greggman.com/japan/xp-ime/xp-ime.htm[/url]

It is NOT my site. They have good pictures to show you how to set up the PC for JP input.

I hope this helps others.
bye!
by Kyteroo rate this post as useful

Re: Solution Found 2008/4/25 12:18
The site listen above is the best solution.

I use Windows XP and that site was how I was able to install and type in Japanese.
by Mike B rate this post as useful

reply to this thread