Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do youth hostels have communal showers? 2006/6/6 08:41
I'm going to be travelling in Japan for a couple weeks this winter and I was considering youth hostels since I don't have much money, but I'm hoping they don't have communal baths because I can't use those... Some places I've seen have big rooms where everyone takes a shower, and some of them have individual showers with curtains. What kind of showers do youth hostels usually have?
by Rebecca  

... 2006/6/6 22:50
A majority of youth hostels in Japan that I have stayed so far, had communal showers without much privacy. I recommend to inquire at the specific youth hostel you intend to stay at:
http://www.jyh.or.jp/english/index.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Khaosan Tokyo 2006/6/6 23:10
I stayed at the Khaosan Tokyo in Asakusa, and we did NOT have communal showers! I was pretty happy with this place overall--it was a little crowded but clean, and the owner was friendly and helpful. It was also one of the cheapest places I've found, at only 2,000 yen per night. Here's their webpage:

http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/index_english.html
by mary rate this post as useful

... 2006/6/6 23:12
Note that the Khaosan is not a member of the International Youth Hostel Federation, commonly known as ''youth hostels''.
by Uji rate this post as useful

? 2006/6/6 23:17
What's the difference between a youth hostel in the International Youth Hostel Federation and other hostels?

. 2006/6/7 00:35
Ok Mary I'm a bit confused about you saying there are no communual showers, even on their website it says:
"shower are common"

I guess you must be thinking a shower space where everyone shares at once like a lockerroom shower? A definition of commununal shower can also mean a shower used by everybody (it doesn't have to be at once).

So yes, most hostels have communual showers, a lot of the "private" type that is shared by everyone, some have the large room where everyone can share (but I haven't seen many of those"

I hope that helpsyou.
by tokyo rate this post as useful

. 2006/6/7 01:36
Oops! My bad, by ''communal showers'' I thought you meant the type with multiple showerheads in a large room. I didn't see any of that type at Khaosan Tokyo, but we did have shared public showers, not private showers.

my experience 2006/6/7 03:53
Stayed at:
Urakami Catholic Centre
Miyajimaguchi Youth Hostel

Both had shared facilities but the individual shower stalls had privacy. Urakami had the standard Japanese bath as well.
by SK rate this post as useful

Clarification 2006/6/7 05:21
I was talking about the big rooms with lots of showerheads. That's what I'm worried about. Basically, the most important part is the CURTAINS... I don't care if I have to go to the public bathroom where everyone takes a shower. I just want a curtain...
by Rebecca rate this post as useful

Khaosan Tokyo 2006/6/7 06:37
Oh! Then in that case, Khaosan Tokyo would probably be okay for you :) I've showered in two of their bathrooms before, and they were both designed for only one person at a time, and nobody could see the person showering inside either. So no worries there!

Communal Showers 2006/6/7 09:48
All the Youth Hostels I have Communal Baths. Rebecca you are going to Japan to experience another country and culture. What you should be concerned about is earthquakes and typhoons. I have never heard about report about using the Communal Baths it is one of the best cultural experiences you can enjoy. Being concerned is a normal reaction. In Japan do as the Japanese do and you will never look back. Looking forward to reading your report when you return.
by Glen rate this post as useful

... 2006/6/7 20:30
Every youthhostel in Japan I stayed in so for had shared showers without curtains.

Even so, I somehow inadvertedly managed to almost completely avoid meeting other people there - it probably depends very much on the time. Even so, if it bothers you a lot, I'd suggest looking for backpacker hotels etc. - especially in Kyoto an Tokyo they won't be much more expensive than Youth hostels.

Personally, I'd encourage you to give it a try - going to an Onsen is a very very nice experience, and it's really no different from shared bathrooms.
by amyklai rate this post as useful

I'm confused 2006/8/9 00:30
I'm very confused about your answers. I'm going to Japan next month and I'm going to stay in hostels.
You are talking about hostels without curtains or similar in the showers. But these showers are mixed?? I don't care if other girls see me naked, but I don't want to be naked in front of boys. Should I have to take my swimming clothes?
by Candy rate this post as useful

showers 2006/8/9 00:48
No, the showers and baths will not be mixed. Each gender will have their own shower & bath area. The only exception I have heard of is that some onsen still have a mixed sex bath but I have yet to see one.
If you are worried about bathing with others of your onwn sex, then you are going to miss out on one of the best things about Japan; Onsens!
by cf rate this post as useful

Ok 2006/8/9 17:01
In Europe is very usual to find mixed showers in the hostels. But they have stalls or curtains. I was a bit worried about it... Of course I don't have any problem to have a bath naked with other girls.
by Candy rate this post as useful

Mixed Onsen 2006/8/10 00:21
My boyfriend and I have been 3 times in Japan. We love Japan! But we haven't found any Onsen were we can relax together. All Onsens we have stayed are separated. There exist any mixed Onsen? Even if it is mandatory to wear swimming costume or similar...
by Nichy rate this post as useful

Youth hostel 2007/12/24 07:21
I learned that the girls have privacy with some curtains. what about the boys? So I can prepare my son.
by Katie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread