Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

cottage cheese types 2006/6/27 12:37
hello again everyone!

while in japan i started eating cottage cheese as a late night snack and want to do the same back in Canada, but ill be damned if the Japanese stuff isnt different from the stuff over here. Japanese stuff had almost no residual liquid, wasnt bitter and basically came across as less creamy cream cheese. what would this sort of product be called in english and where can i find it?

thanks!
by max  

Ah a fellow cheese lover 2006/6/28 07:00
What you have to understand is that Japan ( as in most countries ) customizes the taste to what the general public preffer for that specific country. This aspecially includes texture.

Cottage cheese in it's original form , has a high level of liquids within it which is probably something that the japanese people didn't like when it was being introduced to japan. You will see many examples in cheese , where the original is very different to the Japanese version.
For example: Chedder - in the UK. This is a very strong cheese depending on brand, brittle and mature with a zingy taste to it. In japan, it's soft, not much after taste and not matured.
Another example would be cream cheese like Phillidelphia ( yea I know it's not good to start with ). The japan version tastes like a mild butter more than a cheese.

Af far as I know, the oils in the cottage cheese are there to preserve the moistness, Japan versions still have the oils but in a smaller quantity. People generally drain the oil off using a peice of kitchen paper before eating the cheese, this may be your clue as to why there is less of it to start with.
by Azumi rate this post as useful

two types 2006/6/28 08:17
There are two types of cottage cheese commonly sold in Japanese stores. The ordinary type and the "uragoshi" strained or should I say "mushed" type. I think Max is talking about the latter since he says "creamy". But I don't know if they're available in Canada. In fact the former type can get quite water-y, even if it's made by Japanese makers and sold in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Cottage Cheese Oils? 2007/12/24 16:17
The water on cottage cheese could hardly be called "oils". Its water. And considering cottage cheese has one of the lowest fat contents of all cheeses, I doubt theres much "oil" in it at all.
by Cooter rate this post as useful

cottage sheese 2007/12/24 17:28
if you don't like the liquid in cottage cheese just pour it out or buy dry cottage cheese, available in any supermarket in Canada (Loblaws, Superstore, Safeway, etc.)
I like to mix cottage cheese and plain or flavored Yogurt
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

ricotta? 2007/12/25 06:59
There is also italian ricotta cheese. It's very similar to cottage cheese (they are stand ins for cooking) It's creamier and isn't in the chunky state that Cottage cheese can have, rather it is more granular. It looks like wet store bought grated parmesan ha ha. Although for a late night snack, it could get expensive ha ha ha.
by Lazagna rate this post as useful

reply to this thread