Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about Ramen 2006/7/10 01:30
is ramen really a Japanese food? is cup'o'ramen really a Japanese food? Do the Japanese eat ramen dry or in a soup form? Does ramen have different flavors(like beef, chicken, shrimp, etc.. etc..,) in Japan, or is that an American thing?
by Lila  

... 2006/7/11 11:24
Ramen is originally a Chinese noodle soup dish. But it has become a fully Japanized dish in recent decades.

As for the related instant noodles, they originated in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Ramen 2006/7/11 11:32
Lila,

It was originally called "Shina soba" or later "Chuka soba" (Chinese soba) when it was first introduced to Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Ramen 2006/7/11 23:47
The best ramen I ever has was in Sapporo. It was fantastic. There is a small alley downtown that is known as "Ramen Alley" lined with ramen shops. We had ramen with pork and it was great! The owner/chef had actually spent time in the States teaching how to make ramen, it was neat to chat with him.
We also had ramen at a street shop in Dotonburi in Osaka and is was very good as well.
You can't compare the instant stuff to what you will get in these restaurants. There is no comparison in taste, texture and fresheness. And actually the instant ramen you get in Japan is much better than the instant we get in the States. Soba and Udon are also great.
by CF rate this post as useful

But different flavors in Japan 2006/7/11 23:50
Concerning instant noodles, in Japan, you don't really find Beef, Shrimp, Chicken. I think these flavors are for exportation. In Japan Ramen's different flavours (for the soup) are: Salt, Soy sauce, Miso, Tonkotsu. And I find them much better!!!
by Kali rate this post as useful

ramen alley 2007/1/16 15:09
hi CF,
was just wondering if the ramen restaurant in the ramen alley the first one or the new one, also would like to know what the name of the restaurant is?
by JK rate this post as useful

re: But different flavors in Japan 2007/1/16 15:29
In Japan Ramen's different flavours (for the soup) are: Salt, Soy sauce, Miso, Tonkotsu. And I find them much better!!!

Don't forget Seafood, Curry, Italian (tomato) flaouvers! ;)
by . rate this post as useful

Ramen Alley 2007/1/17 01:11
JK,

I am not sure but I believe it was an older group of restaurants. It was a very small place. I don't remember the name (I can't read Kangi yet) but it was about 3 doors down from the main street. The owner had been to America to teach ramen cooking to chefs here, so it was neat to talk to him (with my wife translating of course!).
by cf rate this post as useful

toppings? 2007/1/19 14:03
Um when you order your ramen, do you ask for like an egg? cause I ate ramen before but I'm scared to ask for it. I mean I heard it from animes and the internet.
by JoJoMax rate this post as useful

Question about Ramen 2007/7/8 09:46
This is a good site for reviews of Tokyo ramen shops in English:

http://www.ramentokyo.com
by BobK rate this post as useful

Ramen Repulic in Sapporo 2007/7/16 12:17

Ramen Republic on the 10th floor of the Bic Building just next to the Sapporo Staion is another good place to sample ramen. There are ten or more stores, each of which has it own specialty. Sapporo Ramen in miso soup is real good!
by tju rate this post as useful

kinds of ramen 2007/7/17 17:49
I'm japanese man. Ramen has some kinds. For example , shio-ramen(shio means salt), shoyu-ramen(shoyu means soy-source),tonkotsu-ramen(tonkotsu means voiled pork).
I like tonkotsu ramen the best!
by TK rate this post as useful

What's the best ramen shop in Tokyo 2007/7/18 06:06
Just curious, what's the best ramen shop in Tokyo (or Japan)? Do they have contest every year?
by BL rate this post as useful

re:ramen 2008/6/13 05:46
There is a pretty good ramen shop in Aqua City in Odiba, Tokyo. Its made up of 6 top ramen shops from all over the country. The shops change every so many months so theres always something new. Also, since a lot of the good ramen shops are spread out all over the country, it brings a bunch of good ramen shops in to one central location.
by RF rate this post as useful

best ramen 2008/6/14 05:58
according to www.tabelog.com, which is a user voted food website, the most highly rated ramen restaurant is called Menya Kissou in Tokyo.

There is a user review here:
http://exilekiss.blogspot.com/2008/04/menya-kissou-best-rame...
by forgamez rate this post as useful

Ramen 2008/6/24 14:14
Hello.
Japan has a lot of kind Ramen.
Ramen is everywhere all around Japan.
I like Sapporo's Ramen.
by pop rate this post as useful

reply to this thread