Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

non japanese with a japanese name? 2006/7/31 08:33
How unusual is it for a non japanese to have a japanese name? I would like to hear from a japaanese persons point of view.
by bc  

.. 2006/7/31 11:16
Well if they were not Japanese, or a foreigner who became a Japanese citizen I'm sure it would be a little strange.

Imagine, if you met a Japanese person who's name was Winston Churchill or George Washington (thought that could be explained if their parents were multinationals).
by .. rate this post as useful

? 2006/7/31 11:43
So what if it was a white guy named kazuma?
by bc rate this post as useful

foreign names 2006/7/31 15:17
I know Japanese students with foreign names because their parents thought they were cute names: I teach a George and an Anna, and my friend teaches a Ryan and a Lisa. I think these kids (especially ones with hard to pronounce names) have a tough time.

As far as foreigners with Japanese names, I think it would be the same. Most people would think it was very strange to have a name from a culture you are not a part of. Some Japanese names are very beautiful, though, and I know in some places African and Arabic names are becoming trendy. It all depends on how much you can handle constantly having to explain your name and have people think it's strange! It would probably also confuse people in Japan if they find a foreigner with a Japanese name, but no Japanese heritage or language ability. They would probably wonder why the parents named their child that (much like I wonder about George and Lisa!)
by Kate rate this post as useful

...? 2006/7/31 19:11
I don't find it weird, but I would at first think that the person was at least half japanese or something.

But now days, it's getting popular for non-Japanese or non-whatever country people to name their child after another country's name.

A friend just named her son "Out" or "Auto" not the auto shop kind of auto, but ah-oo-toe. yup yup.

At first I was just... like... '-the hell?!' but well, it's not an american name or anything, but it was actually cute.
by .... me. rate this post as useful

... 2006/7/31 21:31
Bc wrote;
"How unusual is it for a non japanese to have a japanese name?"

It depends on the name and background.

Bc also wrote;
"So what if it was a white guy named kazuma?"

I would think that he either has a parent who was crazy about Japan and gave him the name upon birth, or he himself is crazy about Japan and gave himself another name later in his life. They are both not so common but not too unusual to me.

Kate wrote;
"I teach a George and an Anna, and my friend teaches a Ryan and a Lisa."

George (Joji), Anna and Lisa (Risa) have been common Japanese names for almost a century. I know a Japanese Ryan (Raian), and I don't have a problem with it. Since it's easy to be pronounced even in Japanese text, it doesn't feel that odd.

I know a Japanese Andrew (Andoryu). If I hear this name, I would definitely think he has some kind of Western background, and indeed this person does. His mother tells me that he might have had a hard time writing his long name in Japanese when he was in grade school.
by Uco, Japanese rate this post as useful

spontaneity 2006/7/31 23:39
actually, in america, south america, canada,etc etc. there are many second, third, fourth and fifth generation japanese americans. their ancestry is japanese but being born not in japan, then they are not japanese
actually the question is absurd-
how many thousands and thousands of people have japanese names but are not japanese- is it a crime or something??!!come on - open your mind-check me
by don yoshizawa rate this post as useful

! 2006/8/1 05:20
The reason I'm asking is beacuse I was thinking of adoting a Japanese name while in japan like a nickname.

! 2006/8/1 05:22
Oh yeah my name in japanese is ROBAATO so you get why I dont like it.

Kim 2006/8/1 05:42
"How unusual is it for a non japanese to have a japanese name?"

Persia from the netherlands

I don't think it is very wierd or something like that. Here are many boys and girls for example with the name Kim, and if Im correct it is an asian name.

I think it is cool!

Greetz
Persia
by Persia rate this post as useful

Kim 2006/8/1 09:24
As for first name Kim, I don't think it's an Asian name. It's a very common family name in Korea.
by Re rate this post as useful

? 2006/8/1 11:40
Bc, I don't get why you don't like Robaato, and I don't get why Kazuma is any better. Btw, my son has a teenage Japanese schoolmate friend who's nickname is Bob (Bobu).

Kim is short for Kimberly, and I saw lots of them in the U.S.. I've never encountered a Japanese person with Kim (nor Kimu) as a first name, btw.
by Uco rate this post as useful

kim 2006/8/1 21:10
oke my mistake :), but I still think it's cool:)
by Persian rate this post as useful

Kim 2006/8/1 23:23
A Nisei friend was named Kimi and called Kim by everyone (not that that is the same as being NAMED Kim).
by watagei rate this post as useful

Japanese name 2006/8/2 00:48
If I were going to chose my own name I would chose a name common in the US, Europe and Japan. I am lucky enough to have a first name common in these places. I think Lee, Kim, Ken, and others are nice names for this purpose. I have known many Lees Kims, Kens that were Asian, and Anglo. I have an Anglo last name that 99 percent of the people in the US can not pronounce, and many even after I have worked with them on it. If I were going to change my last name I think a Japanese last name would be fine, if it were easy to pronounce, like Tanaka, Yamakawa, Sony, etc. I worked with a Vietnamese guy that changed his name to Kit Carson or something like that. I think his Vietnamese name was better.
by Ken rate this post as useful

Ha ha 2006/8/2 05:37
Robert, no wonder you want it changed. Hopefully you don't encounter too many Japanese who have heard the song by Styx titled Mr. Roboto.

Domo Arigato, Mr. Robaato!
by Grand Trine rate this post as useful

mata au hi made 2006/8/2 10:02
The Japanese are quite used to hearing the English name Robaato, but I doubt that anyone would confuse it with robatto or robotto. When we pronounce it, even in the Styx way, we know that it is obviously different. In fact, if you try to link Robaato with robatto or robotto, no one will really get it and besides, _unfortunately_, not many people remember the song any more.

btw 2006/8/2 10:04
Sony is not a Japanese "person's" name, in case anyone is trying to name someone :)

comedy troupe 2006/8/2 15:43
there is a three-man comedy group which is fairly popular now whose troup name is 'Robaato' - so people are quite familiar with this name.
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

Rob 2006/8/2 21:45
Well, one of my friends in Japan, Roberto, allways gives his name as "Rob" (Robu) which seems fine to me!
by Kali rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 37

1 2
next

reply to this thread