Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any good violent Japanese action films? 2006/8/31 03:43
Either period films with swordplay or modern films with gunplay? Uncensored versions I can get in Region 1? Not interested in "shocking" films ala Takahashi Miike/Ichi the Killer.
by Martin Burlock  

Yes 2006/9/4 18:13
Battle Royale
by Mellow Yellow!! rate this post as useful

Takeshi Kitano? 2006/9/4 20:06
Some of the earlier movies by Takeshi Kitano:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0001429/
by Kappa rate this post as useful

BR!!! 2006/9/5 13:50
Battle Royal is diffenitly cool. It is voilent, but it isn't like doom where that all that goes on. The basis of it is in the future japan has become like Compton/Watts or the Bronx. The government fix that problem with a lottery where the wining class gets to fight each other to the death. I cools because it shows how easily people who are friends can easily turn on each other when the "seed of mistrust" is planted. There is a love story in it, but it is mostly a fight for survival. You get to find out why some of the students are the way they are and why something happen and don't happened between each of them. Very good movie in my opinion.
by Aj rate this post as useful

films 2006/9/10 18:00
Check out Tokyo Fist by Shinya Tsukamoto. He's an amazing director, especially if you can handle your action in a more artsy, avant-garde kind of depiction.

Otherwise, Makai Tenshou is a cool period piece by the director of Battle Royale.

Also, there are some great Miike flicks that sound like they'd be right up your alley (ie- not just shock value), especially if you like Yakuza stuff. Dead or Alive, Full Metal Yakuza, and Deadlly Outalw: Rikka are all films you might enjoy and not even realize they're by a man often recognized for his over-the-top values.

Finally, if you want classic, really well-done but not necessarly blood-stained Yakuza films, check out most work by the late and fucking great Seijun Suzuki. My favorite has to be Branded to Kill.
by ryan rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/11 10:01
Like Mellow Yellow have mentioned, BATTLE ROYALE!!. Don't buy the 2nd edition, it's a disgrace. Must Must Must!
At least pirate one off Limewire or Aquisition.
by Kiro rate this post as useful

Thanks!! 2006/9/12 03:50
Thank-you VERY much folks! Just for the record, I have Battle Royale and Sonatine. But don't let that stop you, keep them coming, keep them coming!! LOL
by Martin Burlock rate this post as useful

Violent Japanese film 2007/4/20 22:01
"Versus" is good if you are looking for blood, gore, zombies, gunplay, and sword fights.
by Lyanna rate this post as useful

Best Scripted and Violent 2009/1/1 17:06
Shogun's Assasin (old school)
Dead or Alive
Crows Zero
Battle Royale
Versus
Chanbara Beauty
Shadow Hunters
Zatoichi
Azumi

Ichi the Killer (if you can stomach very violent and mental scenes, this is also good)

by Orlando rate this post as useful

Other films with unique stories 2009/1/1 17:41
Fudoh
Lady Snowblood (the first movie)
Hanabi

Harakiri (black& white film with good action and plot)

by Orlando rate this post as useful

Kitano 2009/1/3 01:29
Any film by Takeshi Kitano os filled with violence. Google his name and add "imdb" to the end of the search to find his movies. He's got tons of gangster movies and you'll recognize him as the evil teacher from the original battle royale.

I agree with the above suggestion to avoid battle royale II, it sucked, it was easily the worst japanese movie i've ever seen.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Uh.....?? 2010/5/7 17:49
Ichi the Killer? Why hasn't anyone mentioned this great movie??? One of Miikes best
by K' (guest) rate this post as useful

K 2010/5/10 07:14
Hehe. Possibly because he used exactly that movie as an example of what he was -not-interested in.
And as far as I can see somebody did actually mentioned it anyway.
Guess you really have to read the posts more carefully before replying... ;)

Many good recommendations here by the way.
by Olve (guest) rate this post as useful

meh 2011/9/19 18:14
Avoid Versus. Total rubbish.

Sukiyaki Western Django isn't too bad.

The old Zatoichi movies are awesome.
by Carl (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/19 22:13
Takashi Miike's '13 Assassins'.

Not shocking, just damn good.
by Daigoro (guest) rate this post as useful

13 Assasins 2011/9/20 06:07
I'm with Daigoro on this.

13 Assasins is one of the best movies i've seen lately, nevermind Japanese action movies. Watched it in the cinema and then again a few weeks ago when i got it on Blu-ray. It's a must see!
by Hugh from Scotland rate this post as useful

Negative Happy Chainsaw 2011/9/20 10:15
...a real treat, not horror, mainly action and quite a nice little romance going as well. And I know that this is Japan-guide not Korea-guide (if there is one), but Arahan is a great film along those lines, the korean action films are quite high quality, eg Mighty Princess, the 3 Mr Kims, better than Chinese IMO.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

love exposure 2011/9/23 12:37
Does Love Exposure count as a violent movie?
by frank (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any good violent Japanese action films? 2011/9/27 23:00
I personally like Tokyo Gore Police, but that is probably more shocking rather than just violence.

I do also happen to like the Samurai trilogy by Hiroshi Inagaki. It is based on Musashi Miyamoto. :) It is composed of 3 movies, and is just stunning in storyline and directing. ^_^
by MimiruRiley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread