Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

sushi and pregnancy 2006/9/3 17:08
Hello all,
I absolutely LOVE sushi, but my doctor said it's not advisable to eat those in pregnancy,since they contain raw fish which can contain some nasty bacteria...
So I have two questions:
1)Is there any kind/kinds of sushi which does not contain raw fish (except vegeterian)? (like sushi phanko which are deep fried, don't know if there're things like this in Japan,since its hardly 'traditional' sushi..)
2)How about japanese women - do they continue to eat sushi even in pregnancy?

Thanks a lot!
by Ishkin  

. 2006/9/4 09:38
Not all sushi is about raw fish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

Items can be cooked, uncooked, etc.
by . rate this post as useful

answsers 2006/9/4 09:59
1)Is there any kind/kinds of sushi which does not contain raw fish (except vegeterian)?

Yes.

(like sushi phanko

Never heard of it.

2)How about japanese women - do they continue to eat sushi even in pregnancy?

Yes.

But I suppose bacteria and cuisine differs depending on the climate/region, so you should pay attention to what people are doing in your own country.
by Uco, Japanese woman in Japan rate this post as useful

Sushi or Sashimi 2006/9/5 09:10
You might want to clarify things...

Sushi, technically translated, means anything with rice. Thusly, most N. Americans use the term incorrectly or very loosely.

For example, barazushi (not bara-sushi) is a big serving of rice with a variety of food from the mountains and sea (to some extent) top of it. If you go to the Seto Inland Sea area, I recommend having it.

Sashimi, on the otherhand, is raw fish.

I hope this helps.
by HIM Haille Selassie rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/5 17:39
I'm sure there are many sushi varieties which don't contain raw fish. Just off the top of my head, I'll write some here.

1) Unagi Sushi/Nigiri - cooked eel
2) Anago - sea eel
3) Kappa Maki - Cucumber sushi roll
4) Kanpyo Maki - some pickled vegetable roll.
5) Shitake Sushi - Japanese mushroom on top of sushi
6) Tempura Prawn Maki - Cooked.
7) Seafood Stick Maki or add Avocado and Mayonnaise and Cucumber to make California roll. Make sure they don't put raw flying fish roe into it though.
8) Spider Roll Maki - soft shell crab deep fried. Not traditionally Japanese but cooked by most Japanese chefs outside Japan. I think its becoming popular back in Japan though with the Rainbow Rolls going on.
9) Futomaki - variety of vegetables pickled and non-pickled, eggs, mushroom, etc. This is a great roll.
10) Egg Tamago sushi

Other non traditional Japanese sushis that are very popular outside Japan:

1) Tonkatsu maki - deep fried pork roll.
2) Teriyaki Chicken or Fried Chicken maki
3) Cooked Tuna (mostly canned) with Mayonnaise Maki. I think they sell this in Japan as well usually as those triangular onigiri rice balls rather than maki?
4) Tofu maki.
etc.

There are some sushis using slightly grilled ingredients as well, like Tuna, Tuna-toro belly, Salmon, Scallops, or slightly boiled fish, but I think they're still quite raw inside. You won't lack choices in general though!
by rouge rate this post as useful

Thanks a lot! 2006/9/5 19:40
Thanks a lot, you really provided the answer I was looking for.
I'm looking forward for my trip to Japan,and now I know I will be able to enjoy the sushi as well, even if not all the styles!

Thanks again!
by Ishkin rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/5 22:06
Sorry I didn't realise you were asking this question in preparation for visiting Japan, and trying out the sushi dishes.

I think I ought to tell you that some that I mentioned, like shitake, california roll/imitation crab meat, tempura prawn, etc, aren't readily available in most sushi places in Japan.

You might have to do with a few selected items!

I know a pregnant woman should avoid raw fish altogether, however I think having like 6 pieces of fish sushi should be okay? I mean, going to Japan, one seriously has to try the Tuna fish there, especially the Hon-Maguro and O-Toro :)
by rouge rate this post as useful

Thanks rouge 2006/9/7 22:09
Thanks for the answers!

Yeah, I'm really tempted to try even the raw fish, BUT the question is - is it worth the risk? :(

Dunno, on one hand its hard to give up (being in Japan and not eating sushi/sashimi) but on the other hand...

From the sushi mentioned by rouge, does anybody know which ones can be easily found in Japan?

I need to memorize the names of those which are not with raw fish, so I know how to order...

And can anyone tell me how to explain this in Japanese (the fact that I need sushi with cooked ingridients)?

Thanks a lot again!
by Ishkin rate this post as useful

how to say in japanese 2006/9/8 09:32
"Ninshin shite imasu node, chouri sarete aru o-sushi wo onegai shimasu"

It means "since I'm pregnant, I'd like to eat sushi with cooked ingredients, please".

I hope this helps...
by j girl rate this post as useful

Oh! Visiting Japan! 2006/9/8 11:41
I think your doctor was concerned about food-poisening in general, unless your race should be particularlly causcious about sushi in biological means.

In Japan, the O-157 bacteria has been a serious cause for a lot of food-poisoning. To avoid this, you should try to stick to cooked material, SUSHI OR NOT. For example, western style salads using raw vegetables are already risky.

But O-157 is not as harsh as it once used to be, plus in the less hotter seasons, you don't have to worry too much about it.

That said, SINCE YOU ARE PREGNANT, you should try to dine at proper places. Food vending wagons and tiny bars are really fun to visit, but not always sanitary. On the other hand, I'd say it's much more safer to eat raw fish at a proper sushi bar rather than to eat raw chicken liver at a crumy yakitori tavern.

Also, I don't really think it's fair to ask random anonymous people on the internet if it's "worth the risk or not". You can give all these informations to your doctor and ask him/her the question. The trick is to ask the doctor, "Would you eat it if you were pregnant?"

On a related note, onsen bath tubs are to be avoided when you're pregnant. I'd also watch out for the long flight hours rather than the sushi.

Bon appetite and take it easy!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Riceballs without seaweed strips 2006/9/10 01:11
Okay, I was looking for a rice ball recipe. All of them I have found look so good, but I don't know if I will be able to find seaweed strips. Can they be made without them? If not, I can always go look for some.

*Note* I don't live in Japan or any other country...states all the way!
by Nekoyasha rate this post as useful

Sorry... 2006/9/10 01:24
Ahhh! Sorry, new to this website. I couldn't figure out how to post a question and I accidentally pressed the reply post thingy and thought something different. Sorry Sorry Sorry! I will go no. x_x
by Nekoyasha rate this post as useful

OMG 2006/9/10 15:21
Japan has SOOO many types of food. The possibilities are ENDLESS. You'll be so happy once you hit the restuarant girl.

Raw fish has very few bacteria in it. Otherwise so many Japanese would've said something all these..... centuries. LOL
But caution is must.
by . rate this post as useful

It's not just the raw fish! 2006/10/16 14:08
I live in New Zealand & was told when pregnant it's not just raw food (meat, salads). Raw egg, cold precooked meats, soft cheese, meat needs to be well done, personally I wouldn't eat cold rice that has been sitting around (sushi) as rice is a big one for food poisoning! To be safe when you are out order piping hot cooked foods. That way you know it's totally safe. I have a lot of friends who totally ignored all this though and just ate what they wanted, but I was very anal about what I ate with my 3! Hope this is helpful and I haven't scared you ;)
by kiwi rate this post as useful

Avoid Deep Water Fish 2006/11/21 11:17
Actually aside from raw fish, pregnant women or women planning for a child should avoid deep sea fish like Tuna or Shark (fin).

Deep water fish carry quite a bit of mercury. So it's not just the tuna sushi but also the tuna salad, tuna sandwhich...
by DK rate this post as useful

no tuna?? 2006/11/27 08:13
that is complete bs, whoever said you should avoid tuna. It is high in omega 3 fatty acids, highly beneficial in pregnancy.
by lisa rate this post as useful

no tuna when pregnant 2006/12/1 08:03
last post is illogical. Having something that can be good doesn't rule out having other things that can harm you. Tuna is indeed high in Mercury (see FDA info), although the amount varies by type of tuna. Get your omega-3's somewhere else please or you put your baby at risk!
by anon rate this post as useful

Don't listen to worrywarts! 2006/12/1 15:57
The person who mentioned the fact that Japanese women have been eating raw fish for centuries was 100% right. Japan's sushi shops are (for the most part) extremely sanitary, and chefs know how to handle and prepare food correctly. It's funny, my British friend (who lives in Japan with her Japanese husband) was told by British doctors to continue doing exercise during pregnancy but to watch out for sushi, cheese, and various other foodstuffs. She was told by her Japanese doctor to eat whatever she liked (including sushi, sashimi, cheese), but to avoid exercise! So, it all depends on where you come from and who you ask. Incidentally, she decided to take some advice from the British doctor, and some advice from the Japanese one: she chose to eat whatever she wanted, and to continue exercising. And she just gave birth to a very healthy baby girl two weeks ago. So, don't worry about it!
by pls rate this post as useful

Really? 2006/12/2 03:11
I'm surprised to hear that a Japanese doctor said to eat whatever including sushi. Perhaps this is a regional thing, or a personal preference.

When I was in Japan, several of my Japanese friends became pregnant. They were told to not eat sushi and they didn't.

Even so, Japanese women probably eat a lot more fish (cooked) than Western women, since we are told to eat no more than 8oz a week of fish. This is not one doctors advice, but several, including many various publications.

As far as tuna, we are also told to avoid that, and just last summer the FDA said to avoid canned tuna especially, be it in water or oil. They have been finding greater concentrations of mercury than previously. (used to be that you were ok to eat some canned tuna in water).

Among other fish women are told to avoid are shark, tilefin and other large fish, because they tend to live longer, eat other fish, and therefore have higher concentrations of mercury.

The reason we are not supposed to eat sushi is the same reason we are not supposed to eat any deli meats or things like egg salad not prepared by us. There is a slight chance that the food may have been left out too long, or that it may have come in contact with other bacteria. Listerosis is something that is very hazardous to babies, and although the mother may feel fine, it could affect the baby in a much more serious way.

As for exercise, that's always on a case by case basis. I have a friend who was confined to bed rest for 6 months in Japan while she was pregnant. I don't know the reason why, but there are many reasons why someone could be confined to bedrest. Most of the time, at least in the US, women are encouraged to exercise moderately. I was encouraged to exercise by walking or swimming, but to not let my heart rate get above 150 bpm. But it seems that by the 3rd trimester, the advice is to greatly reduce exercise, if not stop.

Of course, I'm only telling you my experiences after being 7 months pregnant. I read several websites such as babycenter.com, went to birthing classes, and have several preganancy books to go by. None of these are Japanese, but as I said, when I was living there, Japanese friends were told to avoid raw sushi and of course alcohol.

Good luck to you!
by kyarinchan rate this post as useful

Sushi 2007/3/5 10:57
I have been told that if you go to a sushi bar/counter, eating sushi is not a problem. The fish is cut from fresh block and served immediately, where as a at kaiten sushi place, the fish spends a lot of time going around and around getting warm etc. Cold fresh sushi from a counter is fine, as long as you can afford it.
by bwoodley rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread