Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Softbank/Vodafone contract? 2006/10/19 18:11
Hi. I'm i've been in Japan for a couple of weeks and will be here probably for another 8 months or so on a student visa. I want to get a cell phone while i'm here so i can keep in touch with my friends, but I also want one that I can bring back to Canada and use there.

Vodafone, now Softbank, would be my only option. I'm looking at the 904sh. The 903sh is good too, but I'd have to source out a used on since it is no longer in the current lineup. I'm curious if it is possible now to break a contract after 7 or 8 months, and what the fees involved would be. None of the links on the other posts regarding this issue work now since it's become Softbank Mobile.

I'm expecting my Alien Registration Card in a couple weeks. Also, I'll worry about the SIM unlocking later. All I'm concerned with now is getting one of these phones and using it while in Japan.

Thanks.
by chris  

AU 2006/10/19 21:06
Heya, I was in the same boat, except that I'll be here for 1 year. I went with a company called AU, because they offer an attractive 50% off for students provided you can provide a student ID along with passport and alien registration (or temporary certificate.) My phone was free, but it's all in Japanese. Not too hard to figure out though. As far as breaking contract early, I don't know the consequences, so maybe it's best to ask a japanese friend what their experience is/was with it, or if they know anything about what might happen.

Good luck, and have fun!

-K
by Kazamatsuri rate this post as useful

no contract? 2006/10/19 22:09
Sorry to use your thread, but I was wondering if it was at all possible for a non-resident to get hold of any vodafone phones with no contract bound to it?
by Saus rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/19 22:54
I think the 904SH and 905SH cannot be used outside Japan, unfortunately!

They haven't been cracked.

As for breaking contract early, I think it varies between companies. Voda/Softbank I think charged 20,000Yen last time I checked. AU didn't charge me anything. I'm not sure of the most recent situation though!
by Rouge rate this post as useful

ok... 2006/10/19 22:58
Ya, unfortunatly, AU won't be an option cuz my phone will have to be GSM capable to use in Canada and only Softbank(Vodaphone) carries those.

904SH is GSM and a stable unlock will be available anytime soon. I'll worry about that later. The 905SH doesn't have GSM capability, so that's out of the question.
by chris rate this post as useful

Re: no contract? 2006/10/20 01:29
Sorry to use your thread, but I was wondering if it was at all
possible for a non-resident to get hold of any vodafone phones with no
contract bound to it?

Theoretically possible, but for the net price (about 50000 - 80000 yen).

by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Re: Softbank/Vodafone contract? 2006/10/20 02:04
I'm curious if it is possible now to break a contract after 7 or 8
months, and what the fees involved would be.

SoftBank Mobile is now promoting a discount plan called "Super Bonus".
In Super Bonus, phones are sold in installments for 24 months plus
deposit. As long as you continue your contract monthly installments
(about 2000 yen/month) are exempted. But if you break your contract within
26 months (first two months are free), you are required to actually pay
remaining installments.

In brief, you should avoid Super Bonus.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Re:SoftBank Contract 2006/11/3 10:28
Hi Chris, Welcome to Japan!
On your questions for contract breaking, pointblank, your stuck with it until it is finished. If you close out early, you will pay the remainder of the contract in full. I would suggest to get a pay as you go phone to get around the contract nightmare. There are good rates with different companies. Do some comparison shopping. As far as the global phone idea, i just got back from the states, The 903sh had great reception everywhere, but my phone bill was about 300% higher (per month for 4 months) during the roaming usage.
I have the 903sh since it came on the market, great camera, and phone when you have a signal. but if it is in a low signal area, not so good. It is better to stay with the Toshiba series not the Sharp(sh). I used to live in the Hiroshima area and moved to Okinawa, a big difference in signal reception(Softbank/Vodafone does not have a good area as opposed to other companies in Okinawa).
I hope this has helped you out in your endeavor to find the best way to stay connected!
I will have to re-evaluate my situation with my cell phone also due to the fact that Softbank aka Vodaphone aka J-Phone seems to have a problem changing its name every few years and not really giving its customers a break in pricing discounts. I have had there service for six years and it seems to have gotten more expensive with less benefits.
by Andre in Okinawa rate this post as useful

Why did you roam Andre? 2006/11/28 19:56
Andre,

Did you not knwo that the 903sh is unlockable? So you could have taken it to a shop and they could have unlocked it and while in the states you could have bought a cingular or AT&T prepaid sim card, taken the vodaonfe card out and used your 903sh on local rates. I have the same phone and that's what I do!
by Kibbs rate this post as useful

Here's the deal 2006/11/29 14:52
OK, since nobody could answer my original question, I guess I will.

I have signed a contract with softbank and am using the 904SH. Because it's a GSM phone, I could get it unlocked in the future and upon returning to North America, swap the SIM card with one from a local service provider.

There was no initial charges to make a contract. All I needed was my Alien Registration Permit and a credit card. Because I'm a student, I also got a good rate of about 4000yen/month for unlimited data packets (mail&web). However, if I do cancel the two year contract, the penalty is 2000yen/month remaining up to a maximum of 40,000yen, as I understand it.
by chris rate this post as useful

unlock softbank 905sh 2007/9/18 12:37
Anyone know how to unlock softbank 905 sh
by chandi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread