Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exchange - High School 2006/11/3 15:27
Okay, this is difficult. Seeing as I couldn't find any answers to my question/s in the other posts, I figured I would post here. From the beginning - I'm a high-school student in Australia and I wish to go to Japan on exchange (as you may have guessed from the title). I've been studying Japanese for 3 years, and while my parents have the money to send me over there, they don't want to. I currently have less than enough in my bank account (less than $1500), so paying for myself isn't really an option... I have checked a few scholarships out, and even applied for a few through AFS, and though I was shortlisted for every one, I was beaten every time. What are my options if I want to attend high-school there? Any suggestions? Also, what sort of exchange programs (preferably scholarships) that I can apply for? I'm an A-average student, so grades aren't really a problem. The ones I've seen don't take people over 18, and they still have to be in school. I would prefer to go just after Year 12(end of next year)...? I'm really at my wits end, I'm sure it would seem I am lazy posting here, but I just have no clue as to how these things work.
by Rinia  

. 2006/11/4 08:44
If you are over a certain age you won't be able to participate in exchange programs, if you graduated already you can't at the high school level, as it would be pointless for both sides to benefit from it. Exchange programs are generally organized by the local school districts and schools themselves.

The only suggestion and best bet I can offer to you is to graduate high school and apply for Collge in Japan.
by .. rate this post as useful

YFU 2006/12/20 07:06
well i am actually doing the same thing nest year but i am just a little bit younger than you (16). if you want you can check out YFU or Youth For Understanding which allows students up to 19 years old to go (thers a special program called 13th Year Abroad). they also have a ton of full paid scholarships that you can apply for. i am sorry if you were planning to go next year becasue applications are due by Jan. 9, 2007. the website is
www.yfu-usa.org
the number is also 1800TEENAGE
if you would rather call
by vanessa rate this post as useful

exchange 2006/12/20 11:17
im doing the same thing as Vanessa, but going through the college im at. I'm also sixteen. At your age i dont think they exchange, you'll have to pay for yuor self to back pack there or support yourself while you study.
by Tia rate this post as useful

exchange 2007/1/22 16:04
what program are you using? im currently in college, 17 yrs old and wanna study in JP. but cant find any programs, if ANYONE can recommend a program that you are CURRENTLY in or are GOING to be, please let me know. I would love to study there for a year or more and im ready, i just need a program. thx.
by erick rate this post as useful

. 2007/1/22 17:07
Most universities have international sections/divisions etc, that deal with foreign exchange students or students who plan to study overseas. Exchange programs are usually set up between two schools (ie they have somesort of agreement with each other).

Its usually not an independent program you sign up for, its done through exchange programs setup. So you should research with your home university to see if they offer any study abroad sessions in Japan with a Japanese University. Your university might, and it might not.

Now if you just want to study in Japan not part of an exchange program, then you would have to go through the Japanese University and do regular admissions process (or annoated process for international students), but this usually requires Japanese Language Proficiency and taking Japanese entrance exams etc.
by John rate this post as useful

YFU and Rotary 2007/6/25 17:57
I went with YFU last year on a summer exchange and am doing a year-exchange with Rotary this year.

YFU was free because I won a scholarship(they have many available) but for Rotary, I had to pay $5,000. Both of these programs generally require you to be under 18 at the time of application, but I think YFU has an 18+ program. You might want to check out their homepage; someone else already provided the link. :)
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

mmmm 2007/10/9 19:58
im 18 and on my exchange now...but i applied before i graduated...i know several people who are going exchange through their college...thats my only idea........
by huh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread