Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to find vintage tin toys in Tokyo? 2007/1/5 05:55
Hi,
I will be visiting Tokyo in March and would like to find vintage tinplate toy shops, specifically robots, rockets and space toys, tin cars and figures, etc. I like stuff from the 50's and 60's and so on. Thanks for all,

Ken
by Ken  

Nakano Broadway Shopping mall 2007/1/7 11:35
I just saw this on the UK Guardian's travel web site:

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/tips/2759

It's called the classic cafe:

Nakano station. North exit.
Enter Nakano Broadway Shopping mall and after around two minutes walk... the Classic Cafe is down one of the small streets to the left.
by Onibaba rate this post as useful

Hi Ken, I hope this helps 2007/2/6 22:44
Nakano Broadway Shopping Mall has many stores selling vintage toys, both plastic and tin. Most are on the ground or the 2nd floor. Sorry, I did not count how many stores selling vintage tin toys, maybe more than 5, but less than 10? Plan to spend maybe an hour or two shopping there as there are many interesting shops to see. Weekends can be a little busy there and it may be harder to shop at these stores as they are small and have very narrow aisle. Many shops open late, around 1200 or 1300 and close about 1800 or 1900. Early afternoon there is not much of a crowd on a weekday.
by HNL rate this post as useful

Yokohama 2007/2/12 18:50
There is a vintage tin toy shop and museum in Yokohama.

It is located in Yamate, on the Bluff area, about 50m from Motomachi Koen. If you walk up from Motomachi Chukagai Station, past the Foreign Cemetery, walk along the road next to Motomachi park, and turn left just before the big Church opposite the park.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

You may be disappointed 2008/1/8 21:05
The best place to easily find something interesting is definitely Nakano Broadway, but I go there frequently looking for deals and there is really only 3-4 shops out of 100's that carry anything you are probably looking for (like vintage tin and battery operated toys). What you will find is that the shops are owned by pros and they price things very expensively. So much so that I only buy on Yahoo! Auction Japan or Rakuten. There are several English language proxy sites that you can use to bid on cool toys. This honestly is the way I find most of my toys in Tokyo. I have only purchased 3-4 toys at Nakano Broadway and they were all way expensive. Although I did find a good toy that I paid nearly $1600 for and resold it on EBAY for $2600. So if you have a deep pocket and a good sense of timing and an eye for product, you will find something I am sure. Other than Nakano Broadway, you will have to surf the stores in Shibuya and places like that. You might get lucky, but I haven't found much. Good luck my friend.
by BURIKI TOY MAN IN JAPAN rate this post as useful

reply to this thread