Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Australian mobile phones and blackberry 2007/1/16 16:34
Do Australian mobile phones and blackberries work in Japan?? Also, do I get cash from Japanese ATM's with my Visa? Please help! Leaving for Tokyo tomorrow morning!
by Sonja  

... 2007/1/16 20:12
by Uji rate this post as useful

generally no 2007/1/16 20:41
Australian mobiles: short answer is no, unless you've got (or rent) a suitable 3G handset.
by anon rate this post as useful

. 2007/1/17 00:47
Australian 3G mobiles can do roaming in Japan, if they're Telstra, 3 or Vodafone. Not sure with Optus.

It'll cost you your mortgage though. Better off renting a mobile whilst over there or sticking with hotel/payphones. :)
by ROUGE. rate this post as useful

your cell phone and t-mo 2007/1/17 01:08
unfortunately your phone will not work in japan unless it is unlocked or you use international roaming. if your mobile phone is unlocked then you may register to NTT Docomo,KDDI au or Softbank to open your account with your ID. Or,you may use your phone as international roaming. There is no loadable SIM system in japan. You can buy pay-as-you-use phone at Softbank and it's called pre-paid phone. As far as your VISA goes,you may be able to get some cash at local bank's ATM with you visa with certain amount of charge.
You need to check with your VISA company for international use. In any case,you shouldn't be having any trouble with either a cell phone or VISA in Japan. If you have any troubles here in japan,please do not hasitate to contact me. i'm in tokyo,japan and i will be glad to be your assistant. i hope you will have great journey to japan and hope that you will have good time in my country. God Bless!
by joji rate this post as useful

rent phone 2007/1/18 09:37
I have just returned and it was convenient and cheap to rent a phone. Available at all the airport arrivals-It was 350 yen /day and 60 yen a minute this included insurance-more for international roaming.

I was able to withdraw funds from my account in Australia using the standard PIN quite easily from large ATM. I may be a problem outside of large cities.
by guildford rate this post as useful

optus 3G phones work in japan 2008/1/30 10:01
I can confirm that Optus 3G enabled mobile phones work in Japan as I received an sms from a friend who arrived in Tokyo this morning.
by greg rate this post as useful

Vodafone 2008/3/24 20:11
Last November (may have changed!) You could only roam in Japan on a post paid plan (e.g. contract or month to month). You could not roam on a prepaid account.
by R. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread