Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

Help on 13-day Japan itinerary requested 2007/1/30 22:12
Hello everyone.

I'm setting up some kind of itinerary for travelling from Spain to Japan next October, or maybe November (to be decided yet), for 13 days. I'd like to receive your feedback. Is it feasible at all? I have the feeling that it might be a bit packed, and, what's more, I don't know if I should make less "one-day visits" (Takayama, Kamakura or the Five Lakes area, for example) and devote more time to cities like Tokyo or Kyoto. Could you please suggest something? I thank you all in advance for any help provided.

DAY 1
Flight Madrid - Tokyo (19h approx + 8h).
Overnight on board.

DAY 2
Arrival in Tokyo around 9:00AM.
Pick up 7-day "Japan Rail Pass" (activate it from days 6 to 12, both included).
Train Narita Express to Tokyo (60min approx).
Visit Tokyo.
Overnight in Tokyo.

DAY 3
Visit Tokyo.
Overnight in Tokyo.

DAY 4
In the morning, train Tokyo - Nikko (1h40min approx, change of trains required).
Visit Nikko.
In the evening, train Nikko - Tokyo (1h40min approx, change of trains required).
Overnight in Tokyo.

I wonder whether it is possible to visit the Toshogu, Rinnoji, Futarasan and take a walk around lake Chuzenji in just one day...

DAY 5
In the morning, train Tokyo - Kamakura (1h approx).
Visit Kamakura.
In the afternoon, train Kamakura - Kawaguchi (1h40min approx, change of trains in Shinagawa required).
Walk around Kawaguchi and Five lakes Area (hopefully with good views of Fuji-san!).
In the evening, train Kawaguchi - Tokyo (2h approx, change of trains in Otsuki required).
Overnight in Tokyo.

Is this a very packed day?

DAY 6
Beginning of the "Japan Rail Pass".
In the morning, train Tokyo - Takayama (4h30min approx).
Visit Takayama.
Overnight in Takayama.

I wonder if Takayama is worth a full day visit...

DAY 7
In the morning, train Takayama - Kyoto (3h45m approx, possible change of trains in Nagoya).
Visit Kyoto.
Overnight in Kyoto.

DAY 8
Visit Kyoto.
Overnight in Kyoto.

DAY 9
In the morning, train Kyoto - Nara (60min approx).
Visit Nara.
In the evening, train Nara - Kyoto (60min approx).
Overnight in Kyoto.

DAY 10
In the morning, train Kyoto - Himeji (60min approx).
Visit Himeji.
In the afternoon, train Himeji - Osaka (30min approx).
Go to the bunraku theatre in Osaka?
In the evening, train Osaka - Kyoto (25min approx).
Overnight in Kyoto.

This seems possible because Himeji Castle closes at 16:00PM, so you can wander around and still attend the afternoon representation in Osaka. I hope not to be mistaken...

DAY 11
In the morning, train Kyoto - Hiroshima (1h40min approx).
Continue via fast boat (or tram and ferry) to Miyajima (60min approx).
Visit Miyajima.
Overnight in Miyajima.

DAY 12
Visit Miyajima.
In the afternoon, fast boat (or ferry and tram) to Hiroshima (60min approx).
Train Hiroshima - Tokyo (6h approx, change of trains in Osaka required).
End of the "Japan Rail Pass".
Overnight in Tokyo.

DAY 13
Train Tokyo - JR Narita Express (60min approx).
Flight Tokyo - Madrid (17h approx – 8h).

PLACES VISITED: Tokyo (1,5 full days), Nikko (1 full day), Takayama (1 full day), Five Lakes/Fuji-san (0,5 full days), Kyoto (1,5 full days), Nara (1 full day), Himeji (0,5 full days), Osaka (0,5 full days), Miyajima (1 full day).

CONS:
-I feel that I'm not getting the most out of the "Japan Rail Pass" (in order to cover the long trip from Hiroshima to Tokyo on day 12, day 5 was left behind).
-Is there enough time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto? Am I trying to see too many things in too short the time?
-Too much time in trains (maybe there is no way to avoid this)?
by Angel  

... 2007/1/30 23:25
I wonder whether it is possible to visit the Toshogu, Rinnoji, Futarasan and take a walk around lake Chuzenji in just one day...

Yes, if you leave early in the morning and hurry, it is possible. Note that it takes more like 2 hours to get to Nikko. Or more, if you are not based close to Asakusa Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

DAY 5
In the afternoon, train Kamakura - Kawaguchi (1h40min approx, change of trains in Shinagawa required).

You seem to mistake Kawaguchi City (Kawaguchi Station) with Lake Kawaguchi (Kawaguchiko Station). They are two completely different places. The journey from Kamakura to Lake Kawaguchi takes more like 3-4 hours.

I am afraid, it is utterly impractical to visit Kamakura and Lake Kawaguchi in one day. I would decide for either Kamakura or Lake Kawaguchi.

I wonder if Takayama is worth a full day visit...

Yes, it is. I recommend to stay at least 24 hours.

If you have a Japan Rail Pass, you should take the train and ferry as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3454.html

I feel that I'm not getting the most out of the "Japan Rail Pass"

You will save more than 25,000 Yen compared to regular tickets!

Is there enough time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto? Am I trying to see too many things in too short the time?

This is difficult to answer, because it strongly depends on the person. Some people like a fast travel pace, in which case your itinerary seems okay, while others prefer a slow pace, in which case your itinerary would be somewhat packed.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kamakura, Takayama, Osaka and Five Lakes 2007/1/31 00:15
Thanks so much for your prompt and precise answer, Uji.

You're right, all the time I've been mistaken between Kawaguchi and Kawaguchiko (my intended destination). I guess I'll have to adjust that and drop the Five Lakes area (hope I can still find some views of Fuji-san from any of the trains around). In that case, I think I'd rather spend half a day or so in Kamakura and the rest of the day in Tokyo.

My main interests are tradition, culture and great views, and I think that you find my itinerary quite a packed, fast-paced one. Actually, there are some places I wouldn't like to miss (Nikko, Nara, Himeji, Tokyo, Kyoto and Miyajima), but... what do you think about the others (Kamakura, Takayama, Five Lakes area)? I might as well leave them behind if there's no time to enjoy at least a bit of the other six places. Do you think Kamakura, Takayama and Five Lakes are worth a visit? What should I expect from them? Do you think attending a theater representation in Osaka is worth a full afternoon?

Again, thank you for your corrections and suggestions. Any other advice would be highly appreciated.
by Angel rate this post as useful

bunraku 2007/1/31 02:43
I had hoped to see a bunraku performance when I was in Japan, but - like you - found it hard to fit in an already tight schedule. As a compromise, I attended a tourist-y show that included short bits of various traditional performing arts at Gion Corner in Kyoto. The bunraku segment was the longest - maybe 20 or 25 minutes. I enjoyed it, and was glad to have seen that special art. If I recall, the performance began about 8 p.m., after most tourist sites in Kyoto closed, so I was able to see bunraku without giving up an afternoon in Kyoto. Hope that helps!
by kja rate this post as useful

... 2007/1/31 07:33
As I said, preferred travel pace depends strongly on the individual. I personally would find your pace okay, but if you want to see Tokyo and Kyoto in more detail, it might be better to drop some side trips.

As for the Fuji Five Lakes,
I personally would rather drop Kamakura, because you will be able to see lots of temples in Kyoto, and instead go to either the Fuji Five Lake region or Hakone in order to bring a little bit more non-city variety into your mostly-cities itinerary.

If you have the time, I would not pass on Takayama.

Day 11 2007/1/31 07:51
Kyoto - Hiroshima. If using a JR pass for this trip, the 1hr 40 mins quoted is incorrect. The Nozomi train gets you there that fast but Nozomi isn't covered under the pass. If you want to use your pass for this trip, then the alternate train will take approx 2hr 15.

by tjspot rate this post as useful

I have some more questions... 2007/2/12 06:31
Thank you very much to all of you who replied with such valuable information. I have adjusted some of the visits in my schedule according to your suggestions and have decided to maintain Takayama and to try an organized one-day trip to Hakone/Five Lakes instead of visiting Kamakura. Actually, I would like to try and attend the Hachiman Matsuri at Takayama next October 9th.

I have some more questions for you all, in case anyone can help. As per my itinerary, I am supposed to travel to either visit Nikko or Hakone/Five Lakes on day 5 (October 8th). Since October 8th is a national holiday, or so I think...

...will I find problems with transport (for example, with trains not working that day) to get from Tokyo to Nikko?

...will I have trouble booking an organized trip for that day? Do travel agencies and travel companies (Sunrise Tours, for example) offer their services on national holidays?

...will Nikko or Hakone/Five Lakes be really crowded that day?

Besides, I wonder how difficult it will be to find lodging in Takayama for October 9th. Should I book well in advance? How well in advance?

Again, thanks to all who have replied so far and to all who can provide answers to my new questions!

... 2007/2/13 11:20
Actually, I would like to try and attend the Hachiman Matsuri at Takayama next October 9th.

Then, I recommend to make hotel reservations now! I am serious.

...will I find problems with transport (for example, with trains not working that day) to get from Tokyo to Nikko?

Nikko in October is very crowded due to the autumn leaves, especially the Okunikko region around Lake Chuzenji and especiallty on the long weekend. If possible, go during the week! The traffic jams between central Nikko and Lake Chuzenji can be horrible.

Likewise, Hakone and Fujigoko can be expected to be very crowded with traffic jams along the way.

Especially the traffic jams of people returning to Tokyo in the afternoon and evening of October 8 can be expected to very bad. if possible, avoid it.

...will I have trouble booking an organized trip for that day? Do travel agencies and travel companies (Sunrise Tours, for example) offer their services on national holidays?

Sunrise Tours mentions the dates of operation for each tour on their website:
http://www.jtbgmt.com/sunrisetour/ex/

Sunrise Tours are targeted to non Japanese travelers, so I don't think that Japanese public holidays will have an effect on the tours being booked out or not.

...will Nikko or Hakone/Five Lakes be really crowded that day?

Yes.

Looking for accomodation in Takayama 2007/2/15 05:23
Hello again.

I have followed your suggestion and I have started (unsuccesfully so far) to look for accomodation in Takayama for next October 9th. I have seen in some other threads in this forum...

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+23560
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+26113
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+27273
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+22080

...that it is quite difficult to find accomodation in Takayama during the matsuri.

I have received a reply from "www.takayamaryokan.jp" telling me that several minshuku in the area will only start accepting reservations in May. Is this common practice? Should I try and call these places directly? Is it worth waiting until May? Could anyone suggest websites through which I can make reservations (in English, if possible)?

I'm thinking of a B-plan in case there's no way to find accomodation in Takayama. What are the main events during the matsuri? Do they happen in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening? Does it last until late in the night? I would like to know if it would be possible to get to Takayama from some other place early in the morning, then leave Takayama with the last train and still not miss the big events! Any comments on how the matsuri develops?

Once more, thank you very much for any advice or suggestion.

... 2007/2/15 14:09
I have received a reply from "www.takayamaryokan.jp" telling me that several minshuku in the area will only start accepting reservations in May. Is this common practice?

Yes, it is common that hotels and other types of accommodation define such a time frame for accepting reservations. How long the time frame is, depends on each individual accommodation. Some accept them from one year in advance others from just two months in advance.

If an agent or automated system is involved, sometimes, the agent or the system have a defined time frame, rather than the accommodation. For example, some websites may be able to handle reservations only from 3 months in advance, while much earlier reservations are possible if you inquire directly by phone.

I am not sure whether in your case, it is due to the minshuku's policy or due to the policy of takayamaryokan.jp. In any case, I would not rely on a single source, but rather inquire through several sources. I personally book directly through the hotels, because in Japan you often get the the best deals directly through the hotels.

What are the main events during the matsuri? Do they happen in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening? Does it last until late in the night?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5909.html

I would like to know if it would be possible to get to Takayama from some other place early in the morning, then leave Takayama with the last train and still not miss the big events!

It depends on how far away from Takayama you need to go. You can return, for example, to nearby Furukawa and Gero after the visit to the night festival, but it is not possible to see the night festival and return to Nagoya, afterwards.

Don't spend the night in Miyajima 2007/2/15 21:42
DAY 11
In the morning, train Kyoto - Hiroshima (1h40min approx).
Visit Miyajima.
Overnight in Miyajima.

DAY 12
Visit Miyajima.
In the afternoon, fast boat (or ferry and tram) to Hiroshima (60min approx).
Train Hiroshima - Tokyo (6h approx, change of trains in Osaka required).
End of the "Japan Rail Pass".
Overnight in Tokyo.

Unless you're staying in one of the really nice (and really expensive!!) ryokans, spend the night in Hiroshima. I suggest going from Hiroshima Station to Miyajima, spending the rest of your morning and afternoon there, and going back to Hiroshima after that. In Hiroshima on the rest of that day or the following day, you can visit the A-Bomb Dome, Peace Memorial Museum, Peace Park, castle, various art museums, and the downtown shopping district.
by opoipo rate this post as useful

... 2007/2/16 10:10
Why not spending a night on Miyajima? Doing exactly that made one of my fondest memories of travel in Japan: taking a walk on the calm island, looking at the lit up torii after enjoying a dinner at a ryokan. And then return to the ryokan for a bath.

The ryokan on Miyajima are not that expensive. Especially during the week and outside of the peak seasons, many of them have few guests and offer special plans. It should be possible to find plans for around 15,000 Yen per person, including dinner and breakfast.

Help on 13-day Japan itinerary requested 2007/2/16 11:32
Himeji castle-Osaka is ok,because you need about 1,5 hours to visit the castle + if you want to visit the gardens thats another 1,5 hours aprox.
So if you go early to Himeji (I think they open at 9am),you can be done by noon.
by Sparkles rate this post as useful

I wish I had time to see all of Japan! 2007/2/17 18:45
Hello again, and thanks for all the feedback I'm receiving.

All I know about Japan is what I've gathered through a few travel guides and websites in the last weeks, therefore any (and all) advice or guidance is always welcome. By reading this or that, or by taking a look at a photograph in a guide, I have created my own ''image'' of what I'm going to find... and that is what I try to polish with all my questions here!

I'm sure that there are a lot of things to see/do in Hiroshima, but still I think I'll try Miyajima instead, if possible. My intended itinerary is already full with cities and I agree with Uji that a walk in the island at dusk, or the opportunity to see the torii early in the morning, when most of the tourists are yet to arrive for the day... must be great experiences. Besides, it will bring some tranquility to a somewhat packed trip.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, the opinion of someone who has never been to Japan (but wants to!). As usual, any other comment or idea will be more than welcome. Thanks to all who make this useful website possible!

Accomodation in Kyoto and Miyajima 2007/3/22 21:20
Hello again.

I'm now working to find accomodation in Kyoto and Miyajima. I have revised the itinerary to fit my holidays, so my definitive schedule will be:

DAY 1 (September 29th)
Madrid - Tokyo.

DAY 2 (September 30th)
Visit Tokyo.

DAY 3 (October 1st)
Visit Tokyo.

DAY 4 (October 2nd)
Visit Nikko.

DAY 5 (October 3nd)
Organized trip to Hakone/Five Lakes area.

DAY 6 (October 4th)
Visit Miyajima.

DAY 7 (October 5th)
Visit Kyoto.

DAY 8 (October 6th)
Visit Kyoto.

DAY 9 (October 7th)
Visit Nara.

DAY 10 (October 8th)
Visit Himeji and Osaka.

DAY 11 (October 9th)
Visit Takayama.

DAY 12 (October 10th)
Visit Tokyo.

DAY 13 (October 11th)
Tokyo - Madrid

I have found that several places in Kyoto (especially those that are close to downtown and the JR Station... just what I was looking for) are already fully booked for October. Could anyone suggest some not-so-well-situated hotels or ryokans in the range of 8000-20000 yen per night? What other areas in Kyoto are well communicated in order to search for accommodation? Are there any websites that can handle accommodations in Kyoto without having to provide a credit card number?

Same goes for Miyajima. There are not many options for accommodation in Miyajima, and I find it difficult to receive answers from the places I have tried to contact by e-mail. Is it common that ryokans or hotels do not answer if they don't have availability? Should it be easy to contact them by phone in English (unfortunately, I don't speak any Japanese)? What do you suggest to find accommodation in Miyajima?

Sorry for so many questions! Any answer will be most appreciated. Thank you very much!

13 days Japan 2007/3/22 22:42
You may interrupt the long train journey on day 6 and gain some time by doing:
Day 6 ( First day 7 day JR Pass) at 07.36 h dep from Tokyo by direct hikari to Himeji arr 11.16 h visit castle then dep 13.29 arr Hiroshima 14.33 afternoon Peace Park, evening to Miyajima Island to be at ryokan around 18.30 h for Japanese dinner. ( check exact train times later this year, but expect to be similar in autumn )
Day 7 From Miyajima Island 08.30 h via Hiroshima shinkansen station to Kyoto 12.00 h
Day 8 Kyoto ( during the days in Kyoto 30 min trainride to Osaka for the bunraku performance on one evening or if Kyoto is too much: one of the Kyoto days for Osaka )
Day 9 Kyoto
Day 10 Nara
Day 11 Kyoto to Takayama ( overnight Takayama as Uji san recommended )
Day 12 Takayama to Tokyo with last day JR Pass
A basic ryokan near Kyoto station is Tomiya http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/kyoto/tomiya.htm
A ryokan I found very practical for sightseeing in Kyoto and in a good quality:
Hatoya Zuihoukaku http://www.kyoto-hatoya.co.jp/zuiho/pages/english/english.html
If you cannot find accommodation on Miyajima Island ( although try and read what Uji san mentioned ) find western style hotel around Hiroshima station.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Enhancing the itinerary 2007/3/31 15:55
Thank you for your suggestions, Peter.

You are right, the journey by train on day 6 is going to be looong. I will work on your ideas to make a better use of time during my trip, also taking a look at he accommodations you suggested.

Thanks again!

Kyoto-Nagoya-Takayama on the matsuri 2007/8/12 17:47
Hello again.

After some months of working and reworking on my itinerary (less than two months to go!), I have been able to put it all together with your help. By the way, I managed to find accomodation in the Hotel Washington (Takayama) and the Kyoto Station Annex (Kyoto). No problem to find accomodation in Miyajima or Tokyo, either.

I am now working out all the details about the transport, and I am wondering... will trains in the route Kyoto-Nagoya-Takayama be really crowded on October 9th (date of the matsuri)? Do you think advance reservation will be necessary, and in that case, how long in advance should I make the reservation? As an alternative, I'm thinking of using buses, but... what about them? Will they be very crowded?

Thank you very much in advance for any comments on this...

Kyoto 2007/8/13 07:07
Hola Angel,
He revisado todas las respuestas que te han dado y tengo poco que argumentar. He vivido en Kyoto durante mucho tiempo y realmente has elegido bien las ciudades que vas a visitar, y también la época del año...Octubre es un mes excepcional.

De todo lo que has elegido, yo tengo muy buenos recuerdos de Takayama y Miyajima, aunque todos, todos son excepcionales. Sin embargo y es mi única opinión - aunque ahora no te voy a sugerir que cambies el itinerario- es que vas a pasar poco tiempo en Kyoto. Dos días enteros te sabrán a poco si eres un enamorado del antiguo Japón. Te haría falta un día para pasear tranquilo por la zona de Arashi-yama, otro día para pasear por la zona de Ginkaku-ji y le "philosophy path" y un día para ver el Palacio Imperial, el Nijo-jo (castillo Nijo) y mil y un lugares que no me caben en esta respuesta (Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Kinkaku-ji, etc..)

No me preguntes sobre Hoteles pues en Japón tuve la suerte de tener apartamento propio y ciertamente pocos hoteles utilizé, pero haz caso de lo que te dicen los amigos que te han respondido, todo es muy cierto. Los japoneses son los reyes de la reserva por adelantado.

Si quieres alguna opinión sobre Kyoto u otro lugar no dudes ¡¡

Mata aimasho
by JESUS rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/13 08:58
will trains in the route Kyoto-Nagoya-Takayama be really crowded on October 9th (date of the matsuri)?

Only between Nagoya and Takayama.

Do you think advance reservation will be necessary, and in that case, how long in advance should I make the reservation?

Reservations are not necessary, because all trains have non-reserved seats. However, these will probably be heavily fought after, so it is strongly recommend to make advance seat reservations. Reservations can be made from one month before travel date. I recommend to make them as early as possible.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of using buses, but... what about them? Will they be very crowded?

Yes, I think they will also be crowded. Advance reservations are mandatory.

Because the festival is held on weekdays this year, the crowds are probably smaller than when it is held on weekends/public holidays, but it will probably still be very crowded.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread