Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sock colour? 2007/2/12 09:41
This may seem a strange question, but I have read somewhere that it was appropriate to wear white socks. Does this imply that if I take my shoes off at a temple (or elsewhere) that black colour socks might be offensive?
by jiji  

... 2007/2/13 11:31
No, the color of your socks is not offending. Any color is okay! Only at funerals, I recommend to wear dark socks. And if you are a men wearing a formal dark suit, I recommend to wear dark socks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/13 11:35
The only places I can think of where white socks are must are most of public and private schools except colleges/universities.
by A Japanese woman's view rate this post as useful

for the tea ceremony 2007/2/14 17:15
When participating in a proper traditional tea ceremony, you are to bring clean white socks and change to them when entering the tea room. Of course, tourists and the like are excused even if they don't follow these manners properly.

Otherwise, I can't think of any place where white socks are a must unless it is part of a uniform.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Bright color socks? 2009/6/5 13:30
I have several pairs of bright colored socks that I'm taking with me on my trip to Japan. When we visit temples/shrines, will it be considered offensive if my socks are bright colors? (Lime green, yellow, hot pink)
I totally understand if it is considered disrespectful. Thank you for your feedback
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/5 14:04
No, the color of your socks is not offending. Any color is okay! Only at funerals, I recommend to wear dark socks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

doesn't matter 2009/6/5 17:41
There are actually not that many temples and shrines where you will need to take off your shoes as you usually do not go inside unless you are attending (and have paid for) a particular ceremony.

In any case, as already mentioned a number of times on this thread, no one cares at all what colour your socks are. It is a bit embarrassing if they have holes in them though
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread