Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anyone hiked in Shirakami Mts (Aomori)? 2007/2/26 09:59
I am intrigued by what I have heard of the place. I know that it is accessible from Hirosaki.

The Lonely Planet Hiking Guide hardly mentions it. I have found a lot of promo sites online, but I cannot find any good practical information.

One-day trails? Multi-day hikes? Terrain and gradient? Permits?

Any advice drawn from experience is welcome!

By the way, I am not sure exaxctly when I will go. Obviously in a warmer month. Anyone know how severe the June rainy season is in Nothern Japan?
by Telquel  

Might have to stay nearby 2007/2/27 16:30
I believe that - something to do with UNESCO status or global warming or something - entry into the forests is strictly controlled. I am sure I have heard that lodges are not open to the public.

Hirosaki seems to be the nearest town, about an hour away. I see that there are also access trails from Akita pref., so maybe there is some hiking base in that direction?
by The Spoiler rate this post as useful

Getting close 2007/8/20 00:52
Thanks for that. I now know that I will be going there in October.

But I am still interested in info about staying close to Shirakami itself. And about hiking.
Further research has yielded little!

by Telquel rate this post as useful

I did it 2007/11/24 22:25
In October I went in - a long day trip from Hirosaki. Now I am interested in going again, and seeing the southern (Akita) side.

Anyone got any advice on this?

And do you know if it is possible to traverse the range between its Aomori and Akita sides, either on foot or by road?
by Telquel rate this post as useful

Try these 2007/11/25 12:16
http://www.northern-tohoku.gr.jp/A general link:
english/e_summer2007/akita/4aki_yamaaruki.html

and this one is someone's account:

http://auro-borea-rs.blogspot.com/2006/08/once-upon-time-811...
by Pericles rate this post as useful

reply to this thread