Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

does kawaii exist in kanji? 2007/3/2 08:18
im interested in getting a tattoo of "kawaii" and ive managed to find the word in hirogana no problem but i think i'd prefer it in kanji.Does the word exist in kanji? if so could someone provide a link to an image of this please?
by Ashley  

Kawaii 2007/3/4 09:01
Ashley,

Does the word exist in kanji?

Sure does: "可愛い"
If your PC doesn't have Japanese fonts, then select the graphical interface option when using Jim Breen's online dictionary...
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

dont recommend 2007/3/4 10:55
i dont recommend it because the first 2 characters in that word are in kanji so chinese can read it (like me) and it just doesnt seem right...in my opinion any ways
by steven chen rate this post as useful

... 2007/3/4 11:09
The only way the Japanese word "kawaii" can be written using kanji is with those two kanji (可愛) followed by one hiragana(い), as shown by Dave in Saitama. THere is no way to write the whole word ONLY using kanji. WHether the original poster wants this word as tattoo is, well, personal preference :)
by AK (JP native) rate this post as useful

To steven chen 2007/3/5 04:16
What is wrong with the Chinese being able to read it?
by Anon. rate this post as useful

. 2007/3/5 04:32
Yeah I don't understand the comment, if Chinese people can read the Kanji so....?

Thats like saying don't write something in German, someone who knows English might be able to read it.
by .. rate this post as useful

nothing 2007/3/5 06:33
nothing is wrong with chinese being able to read it but when i read it it just doesnt seem like a good tatto choice, i said it was in my opinion didnt i?

actually 2007/3/5 06:34
actually, come to think of it, i dont think it would be a good tattoo choice in any language, would u tattoo 'cute' onto yourself?

. 2007/3/5 06:51
language, would u tattoo 'cute' onto yourself?

People are up to tattoo whatever they wish, some people tattoo "love" etc, if someone wanted a to tattoo "cute" on them, I don't see what the objection would be.
by John rate this post as useful

kawaii 2007/3/6 00:16
kawaii is an adjective so there has to be an "i" following "可愛", while in Chinese language, "可愛" itself is an adjective, no suffix needed. So if you tatoo "可愛", mostly likely people will think it is Chinese language instead of Japanese language.

by Chuan rate this post as useful

Love it! 2007/3/6 02:17
Speaking as a girl, Japanese or Chinese, I like the kanji!
"Ai" is in it, and it makes it lovely!

JMHO :P
by Maxxie rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/3/6 03:23
Hey thanks for all the help. And just to clear something up - ''kawaii'' has personal meaning to me and i'm not getting it tattood because i want the word ''cute'' on me.

Ashley
by Ashley (original poster) rate this post as useful

Kawaii 2007/10/5 10:43
As everyone said, Kawaii is 可愛いin Kanji.

Another option is 綺麗 Kirei, which stands for pretty or beautiful.

But, if Kawaii has a meaning to you, 可愛い may be best.
by Melodi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread