Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can't find learning resources for Koto. 2007/4/1 03:05
I have been interested in the koto for many years, but lack of English resources makes it hard for me to learn about the koto because I live in a part of the United States where there aren't any koto teachers or players.

I am considering buying a bunka koto to start with (a small 3 foot koto) and I have watched many videos of koto performances, but I am still very unsure of myself. I feel like if I try to play it without any knowledge of the proper finger positioning and hand movement, it will be hard to do it properly when I do have a chance to learn.

I have looked at every possible english resource on the internet and only find descriptions of what the koto is, the different koto styles, some koto scores, koto players and so on and so on.. but no instruction manuals or books. Please, if someone knows where I can buy a good instruction manual or would like to help me through the internet, I would be so appreciative!

Thank you.
by Kuryna Kossori  

At 2007/4/1 11:42
least without instruction you can develop own style of playing the instrument, it will take lot of time, but if you try hard...you may get some good results. You should be listening some recordings of koto performances, to get an idea. And, "musical ears" too.
by Module rate this post as useful

Reply from the question poster: 2007/4/1 18:59
I do listen to a lot of Koto performances and CDs, because I love listening to the instrument. I think that I do infact have a good musical ear, and I'm not worried about having trouble composing songs on the koto.

What I am worried about is getting down the proper hand movements and all of those little specifics that teachers and instructional books tell you and websites don't.

Still, thank you very much for the reply! Anyone else?
by Kuryna Kossori rate this post as useful

Koto 2007/11/24 13:13
Does the 3 foot koto and the larger one offer the same playing oppertunities? also what is the cost of a koto and where does one purchace one. I lived in Japan for three years and love the instrument and often thought that I would like to study the music. Have composed some koto music but only for guitar.
by peter rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/25 06:56
One of ideas. Type Yahoo japan, then type nakanoshima_kai. You get several sites in Japanese, then click the top one. On the page, click ENGLISH.
This school of koto music surely responds to what you want to get ( CD, text book, advises etc. )
by TOSHI rate this post as useful

Koto 2007/11/26 05:53
Koshi, Thank you. Peter
by peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread