Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takaragawa onsen - Are towels Allowed ? 2007/4/2 15:36
Hi

I would like to know
If Towel are allowed in the water at Takaragawa onsen ...
http://www12.wind.ne.jp/takaragawa/e1.html

Has anybody who has been to Takaragawa seen any men covering themselves up with a towel while in an onsen ... I've read a few things here and there on the web where they do ...at this onsen.

Also I am planing to go to Takaragawa as a day trip. I plan on catching the Shinkan sen to Jomo-Kogen Station & cathing a bus from there? What are the operating hours for the buses & which Bus do I catch (Number ?)
by Esa  

... 2007/4/3 09:01
I would like to know
If Towel are allowed in the water at Takaragawa onsen ...

Although it is considered bad manner in any onsen, it seems to be very commonly done at Takaragawa Onsen. Especially on busy days, I think it just can't be helped. When I went there on a busy day, all women entered the baths wrapped in towels. And even some men entered the bath with towels wrapped arond their private parts!

What are the operating hours for the buses & which Bus do I catch (Number ?)

You need to take a bus from Jomo Station to Minakami (25 minutes, 600 Yen, about 1 bus/hour) and then another bus from Minakami to Takaragawa Onsen (40 minutes, 1100 Yen, 5 buses per day).

Alternatively, you can take a direct limited express train from Tokyo all the way to Minakami and transfer to the Takaragawa bound bus there.

Bus departures from Minakami Station to Takaragawa Onsen: 7:32, 9:47, 11:40, 14:25, 16:25

For example:
07:20 depart Ueno Station by "Minakami #1" limited express
09:41 arrive at Minakami Station
09:47 depart Minakami Station by bus
10:27 arrive at Takaragawa Onsen

Depatures from Takaragawa Onsen to Minakami:
8:45, 10:50, 12:55, 15:30, 17:20
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank YOU !!! 2007/4/3 14:02
Thanks Uji !!
by Esa rate this post as useful

takaragawa onsen towels 2007/4/4 11:49
We stayed at Takaragawa onsen a couple of years ago and they specifically told the women to wear towels in the mixed bath...men did not have to. I saw one women (not a Japanese woman) in the bath not wearing a towel. I saw no men wearing towels. Mostly they put the little onsen towels on their heads.
Of course in the women's only bath, no towels were necessary.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

towels 2007/5/5 01:19
I am very keen to go Takaragawa onsen on my next visit to Japan. I have never considered a mixed onsen though I love soaking in onsens. Looking at the pictures of Takaragawa and seeing it's so beautiful I really would like to go very soon. Since towels are okay here I believe it will be my first mixed-onsen. One question though, do I have to bring along my own towel from home or does the ryokan supply one for wrapping? I gather I can use the big bath towel supplied in the room bathrooms but what if I go for the cheaper rooms that don't come with a private bathroom?

Sorry another question: on my last trip to Nikko I can do free onsen hopping with my ryokan plan. However the ryokan staff informed me that no towels will be supplied by the other ryokans so we did not try it. Also I came down with a fever so the idea was aborted. My husband noted that some men using the onsen of our ryokan is not using a towel (presumably a day-tripper or from another ryokan). Question is, how than can one dry themselves?
by Nana rate this post as useful

... 2007/5/5 10:46
Large and small towels are always provided to staying guests by the ryokan either on the room or in the public bath.

As for daytrippers, it depends on the bath. Often, it is possible to buy towels, especially small ones. Some people collect them, because the onsen's name is usually printed on the small towel. Large towels are also sold sometimes, but not at many places. Typical price is probably around 1000 Yen.

However, some baths do not provide towels, at all.

When I do hot spring hopping, I always bring my own small towels. Usually at least two: one to bring into the bath, and one to dry myself. And if small towels are on sale, I usually buy one as a souvenir.

But it has also happened to me that I went to an onsen without any towel or with only wet towels. It was at that time, that I realized that it does not take very long to naturally dry, especially if there is a fan, which is often the case. I even suspect, that, in order not to rub off the water's minerals with your towel, it is actually most efficient to dry naturally.

Of course, drying naturally will take considerably longer in the humid summer (it may take forever) as compared to the drier seasons of the year.

Takaragawa onsen 2008/2/12 04:11
I am going this year in May and would like to go to Takaragawa onsen for a daytrip. Is this possible or is the onsen for guests of the ryokan only.
Can it be done in one day from either Kyoto or Tokyo?
My last question is: How do I get in the rotemburo when the temperature is between 43 degrees Celsius and 70 degrees Celsius ( read it on their homepage )
I will get 2nd degree burning over my body I think
With kind regards,

Marcel
by marcel1966 rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/12 08:06
I am going this year in May and would like to go to Takaragawa onsen for a daytrip. Is this possible or is the onsen for guests of the ryokan only.

During the day, the baths are open to daytrippers.

Can it be done in one day from either Kyoto or Tokyo?

From Tokyo certainly. From Kyoto it would involve about a 5 hour train ride one way, but theoretically it is possible if you are willing to get up early and spend 10 hours on trains.

How do I get in the rotemburo when the temperature is between 43 degrees Celsius and 70 degrees Celsius

If it gets above 47 degrees, you should refrain from entering. While the water at its source might be around 70 degrees, the water in the bath is unlikely above 45 degrees.

If you feel hot, enter slowly.

Takaragawa onsen 2008/2/13 00:45
Thank you very much for your quick responce Uji.
by marcel1966 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread