Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prepaid mobile phone again 2007/4/13 04:31
Hi everybody! I'm sorry to bother you again with a never-ending issue like "how to buy a prepaid phone", but I really need some good advice now.
I need to buy a prepaid phone in Tokyo, however, last time I went to about 25 shops and every time they wouldn't sell a phone to me without a alien registration card.
So, I'd like to ask if any of you guy managed to get a prepaid phone on a tourist visa recently and if so, if you could tell me the shop?
Or, how are chances to get a prepaid phone at Narita airport??
Please help! I'm heading for Japan on Sunday already...
Thanks in advance for all further comments!
by kuroi ageha  

Mobile phones 2007/4/15 10:29
Kuroi,

You can still get an Alien Registration Card on a temporary visa, although it is not really practical unless you are staying more than a couple of weeks.
Otherwise, you can rent phones at Narita Airport and elsewhere.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

alien reg card 2008/1/29 12:46
Dave,
Can you get an Alien Registration card if you are on a tourist visa though?
by Returner rate this post as useful

ARC 2008/1/29 12:57
Returner,

Can you get an Alien Registration card if you are on a tourist visa though?

Yes. What is commonly referred to as a Tourist visa is officially called the "Temporary Visitor" visa. I'm not sure that it would be possible to get an Alien Registration Card if you only have a hotel address, though.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/29 15:22
These are Softbanks regulations of prepaid mobile phones, but is similar to others.

* The applicant's visa must be valid for at least 90 days following the date of application.
* The Passport must be valid.
* Must bear the applicant's photograph and the same address, name, and date of birth as the application form.
* Those with a non-resident or short-term resident status may not apply.
* You must provide a proof of your current address (any of ‡@Residential registration certificate ‡APublic utilities receipt ‡BPrinted matter issued by goverment or public offices) when the address shown on your card differs from that on the application form. (The name on the alien registration card must match the name of the applicant.)
by John rate this post as useful

Conditions.... 2010/5/19 01:27
Are the conditions outlined in the previous post the same as they are now for Softbank prepaid phones as of 2010?
by selbydate16 rate this post as useful

prepaid phones 2010/5/19 09:29
No, this thread is out of date. This page should have up to date info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Try 2010/5/19 13:12
Try the Softbank shop at Roppongi.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread