Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33

1 2
next

Homestay gifts 2003/11/9 08:47
This kinda relates to Hide's question. I'm going on a trip to Japan next year and ten days are spent with a host family. I was wondering what I should get. I live in Australia but have only lived here for the past 2 years (by then, 3 years). Should I get my host family gifts from Australia or from my native England? Or perhaps both?

Thanks!
Alec
by Alec  

Anything 2003/11/9 19:45
Whatever you can find would be fine, I would think. If it means something special for you, it would be even better, that is not a must, of course.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

about gifts 2003/12/13 16:31
I would recommend items made in your country and not in China or Thailand... Is there something unique to your countries, something cultural...
by colcolo rate this post as useful

. 2003/12/14 17:21
Vegemite is sort of a must I guess. Although your host family will hate it, they`d be really taken by the fac that Australians actually eat it haha. You can get it free by writing to the Vegemite company.

What`s England famous for by the way?

You don`t eally have to give much as you`re only staying for 10 days. Just give them maybe a koala, vegemite and some nice yummy Aussie chocolate or interesting sweets..like.. I don`t know.. droobles or twist or NERDS or somethng (but I think the 3 I mentioned are American)..some interesting Australian candy or food or whatever.. And something small from England if you want.. ( no idea what England is famous for except er.. tea?)
by yunnermeier rate this post as useful

Yeah 2003/12/14 20:20
Yeah, well England's also famous for ... their royalty, scones and some other stuff but I might just stick with Australian stuff. (Totally off topic but near where I work, there's an Irish souvenir shop. How weird is that?! In the middle of Brisbane, there's a souvenir shop for Irish stuff!) Thanks and yeah, Vegemite and Tim Tams would be pretty important (even though the original version of Vegemite, Marmite, is English and far superior ;)). Thanks!

Oh, and yunner, if you're still reading this, I'll be going to Gifu for the exchange because Gifu is sister cities with Brisbane, where I live.
by Alec rate this post as useful

Whats a good gift? 2003/12/15 07:31
I have a friend that has been so helpfull in my education. She is a student here from Japan. I would like to give her a tradional Japannese gift as a thank you. Any ideas?
by Christina rate this post as useful

Alec! 2003/12/15 15:40
OH MY GAWD! you`re coming to Gifu!? COOL! When are you coming?

Christina and Yunner 2003/12/24 20:54
Christina, if she's from Japan, she might prefer a traditional gift from *insert your country here*. She's probably recieved a million Japanese gifts in Japan but a gift from America or Iceland or wherever you're from would be a million times more special I think.

And yunner, I'll be coming next September, by which time I suppose you'll have gone. Am I right? Well, I'll be going to Tomita High School. Do you know it?

. 2003/12/27 22:02
Well..according to my ost mum TMITA HIG SCHOO is in Gifu City(on the outskirts). Have fun!

:D 2003/12/29 20:35
:d Thank you :D I'm sure I will!. So, what's the main city in Gifu if it's not Gifu City? My exchange student from Gifu went to Gifu Higashi High School but I think that's near Tomita.

So, how are you enjoying your time in Japan? Do you get on well with your host family?

good gift idea? 2004/6/25 03:33
hi!
i am going to japan in about a week and i am going to stay with a host family for around 10 days . i have no clue what to get them @_@. i live on the west coast of USA i know i should probably get something "cultural" and made in usa but,,, USA.. what culture is it LOL?? maybe i'm just oblivious... any video games/ electronics probably won't do, music, well, i don't like any american music and i don't think my host family will either lol... i'm know alot of asian music lol o.o;; maybe a book, but what one? and i'm not sure they will be able to read it anyway. i know the boy is into manga, but it would be weird to give him manga lol. then for the girl i need something good, i know she likes music, but she likes japanese music like me. and prolly has all the SMAP stuff , hmm, maybe utada, or i wonder if she like Kwon BoA or baby vox, maybe chinese singer, yuki xu or jolin tsai maybe? ... anyway... then there is the father and mother, i have no idea @_@, and then grandmother. so, ... ehem... HELP meeeeeeeeee -_^
by ..... rate this post as useful

No Japanese gifts 2004/6/25 10:46
I would say firstly, that Japanese gifts would definitely be inappropriate and your host family might be somewhat disappointed. They can get their Utada Hikaru, and then SMAP and manga anytime they like, and they know what they like in this regard.

Being on the West Coast of America, I don't know if you're in CA, there should be a lot you can get.

Think of your region's specialities and do something with that. Here in Brisbane (Australia), I live near a woolshed which is famous for super-soft wool and stuff, so I'll probably be getting some Australian-made ugh boots (they're Aussie and fashionable!).

Basic rules:
1) Don't get anything Japanese. They can get that themselves and know what they actually like.
2) Try to get 'Made in USA' and not 'Made in China' or something. They'll be disappointed if it's made in China or Phillippines or something.
3) Don't buy sets of four (Japanese word for 'shi' means death/cancer in Japanese) and preferably buy odd numbers or things.
4) Quickly chat to some Japanese ppl in pen pal boards or something and see what they think and what they'd like.

h 2004/6/25 11:45
hey alec,

so are you in Japan yet?
sorry, i just read this message about Gifu City. Gifu city is Gifu's capitol but if you're looking for a bigger city, Nagoya is 20 minutes away.

About presents...
Bringing a few crap USA/England/Malaysia/Korean stuff whatever is good BUT not too much because usual, the usual touristy stuff just ends up in a drawer somewhere. So you should bring a few ,good ones.

It'd also be good if you bring a few things which would be appreciated throughout the world (e.g. a nice necklace for your host sister , or maybe perfume for your host mum). Stuff like that.

I do know thath those things can often be expensive BUT if you're going to be staying in someone's house for a year, it'd be nice to do that. BUT AGAIN, IF you're only staying for a week or something, forget it.
by yunner rate this post as useful

. 2004/6/25 13:43
No, not in Japan yet. I'm going across in September 15th until 2nd October (so short!) with about one week with a host family. Even though it's only a week with a host family, our school still advises we get presents for everyone.

After I've finished school, my school offers a special exchange trip for 10 months to the sister school, and you only have to pay airfares(!) so I've decided I'm gonna go for 3 weeks this year, and then wait until I'm 17 when I'll go for the whole 10 months.

I'm very excited as you can understand :D

Have you returned from Japan yet? How was it?

Help! :) 2004/6/27 13:39
I'm going to Japan this summer, and I need some suggestions as to what to but my host family! :)
I am a highschool student in Canada, and I will be staying with a family with a teenage boy and girl.
Any suggestions? :)
by Nicola rate this post as useful

Give at the beginning or end? 2004/6/27 14:47
Hi, I am also staying with a Japanese family for a few days and was going to give some Tim Tams and Koala chocolates (as I'm in AUS right now, although originally from Canada). I'm hoping this isn't too little (and that it won't melt by the time I get there!!)... I really have no idea what to get.

What I'm wondering is: do I give it to the family upon arriving, or leaving?

A quick response would be appreciated as I'm going there very soon!!! Thanks!!!!
Kate
by Kate rate this post as useful

. 2004/6/27 16:27
Hi Nicola,

I tried to think of what I'd like from Canada if I was hosting a student from there, and what comes to mind is moose stuff (cut me some slack - I've never been to Canada! lol) and platypus stuff (are they Canadian?). Also mounties come to mind - as in the guys in uniforms who patrol the forests. Sorry I don't know too much about Canada. Those are what I think are Canadian famous things. Maybe a mixture of things well-known from Canada (eg: moose stuff) and stuff not so well-known. You can have fun explaining these not so well-known Canadian things, to your host family.

Decoration (and this goes for everyone), as I hear, isn't a great idea because Japanese homes are quite small and it might not fit in with their decor. Then they'll feel pressured to display it or whatever. So I think you should stay away from wall-hangings or whatever.

Seeing as you're staying with teenagers, consider their interests and buy them something related. Maybe, if you're lucky, your host brother likes ice hockey, in which case you can get him an ice hockey something-or-other.

Canadian pop music? Alanis Morisette, Avril Lavigne? Some sort of Canadian pop culture.

These are just suggestions - I don't how long you're with your host family.

And Kate,

Tim Tams are a very popular option. In Japan though, they do have the original Tim Tams so there's no point getting those. Good idea is to get a new flavour that's been released. Or, better yet, get some *special* Tim Tams. I think you can get them in nice tins.

Koala chocolates? If they're nice and not cheap - sure.

That might be a bit too little. I don't know how long you're staying in Japan though.

I think you'd give it to your family upon arriving. Once you've reached your house and have been shown your room. Around the time you would normally unpack is what my exchange student (from-Japan) did.

. 2004/6/28 00:48
The Japanese would consider souvenirs (omiyage)/presents important. It doesn't really matter what you buy ( well, it does to a certain extent.. but) but you have to at least show that you've been thinking.

Kate,
Tim Tams .. Well, that depends on WHICH part of Japan you go to. If you're going to a rural/semi-rural area, Tim Tams would be fine. Maybe a packet or 2, some koala chocolate (cute) and if you can, a few other not perishable items (i.e... er.. koala bears?) My friends back in Japanese high school bought loads of Tim Tams when they went to Australia on their school trip. Apparently, they've never had it before :)

Nicola,
Canada is well known for... cliche as it may sound.. MAPLE SYRUP! :-D Maybe a bottle of high quality good maple syrup or maybe... maple syrup liquer?(if there's such a thing). Not sure what el;se you have in Canada so...

Okay..now listen up everyone,
You can NEVER go wrong with buying liquer for your host dad especially. Get something alcoholic from your country (something which tastes nice preferably) and they'll love you. Maybe um.. a VB from Australia or some Canadian beer? Or wine if you're from Napa Valley.. or anything really.

If you have anymore questions, you can email me at yunnermeier@yahoo.com

Alec,
yes I'm back home now:)

Gifts from USA... 2004/6/28 20:24
Well, if you're from the USA and you want to give something from American history and culture, you can always try something from Native American culture.

I usually give friends from foreign cultures things like dreamcatchers and spirit wheels. They're nice to hang on a wall and have very significant meanings in the process (plus you won't 'break the bank' in getting one).
by ChrisR rate this post as useful

. 2004/6/29 11:49
Due to globalization (lol), dreamcatchers are now on almost every Japanese girl's bags. Or at least it was so when I was there. Fashion in Japan changes really fast so you never know what's next.

Dreamcatchers can be found at all 'ethnic' shops.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33

1 2
next

reply to this thread